“Beautiful Property but Rancho Rooms overpriced”
Review of Hermosa Inn

Hermosa Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We were celebrating a milestone birthday and stayed in a Rancho room on a package that included breakfast, a $100 credit for Lon's, champaigne/strawberries and enhanced turn down service. The property is beautiful and the service was great. Lon's was outstanding.

The but and it is a big but is that our Rancho room was really run down. The carpet was wrinkled and stained and the furniture was really beat up. I know that it is high season and that the Hermosa was fully booked (we tried to get a casita and they were booked) but the Rancho room was certainly not worth the price. Extracting all the extras of the package we paid about $400 a night for a room that clearly had not been updated in years....right down to the peeling paint on the door trim and cracked tile in the bathroom. We also did not get the turn down service on our second night.

We may consider returning for a Casita room but will never stay in a Rancho room again. We were told that the Rancho rooms had not been updated because many returning guest love them the way they are. Well you can still keep the rustic charm while replacing old carpet, cracked tile and adding a fresh coat of paint.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
TheHermosaInn, Director of Guest Experience at Hermosa Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Thank you, HappyHiker_11, for your feedback,

I appreciate the honesty in your feedback, and take it very seriously. Should you decide to return to Hermosa Inn, please contact me directly at 602-955-8614 X150 and I will personally see to it that you are upgraded to one of our renovated casitas.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 9, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many, many times while on business in the Phoenix area. It is quite off the beaten path right there in Paradise Valley. The rooms are fabulous, especially after the renovation. Breakfast used to be included in the room rate but is no longer. Our most recent trip here was a meeting in Phoenix. We brought another couple along and after the meeting did lots of hiking/climbing the nearby peaks and mountain parks.

The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained and beautiful. The pool is small but very relaxing after a meeting or a hike up Camelback mountain.

We have eaten at Lon's before but this time enjoyed meals at Seasons 52 and Chelsea's Kitchen which were nearby.

Our only trouble was when checking in the credit card I gave the clerk to hold on file was not the one I wanted the final bill to be on. Upon checking out at 6a on a Sunday morning, the clerk was unable to transfer the charge to another card which I thought would be a commonly asked request. We were also with another couple who tried to get their charge placed on their card instead of mine. This never happened as I found out a few days later when I checked my charges online. I had to call the accounting department at the Hermosa Inn to get all the charges changed which they did.

We will continue to travel to Phoenix for business and will plan to stay at this inn.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

thank you, littlegiant10, for your comments,

We are pleased to see that have chosen to return to our Boutique Hideway, there is no better compliment than repeat visits! I am glad to see you were able to enjoy the surrounding area and catch a few of the hiking trails, and I certainly can't blame you for dining at Season's 52 and Chelsea's Kitchen, they are two of my personal favorites, great choices!

Please know that I have talked to all of our front desk associates, and have made sure they know how to swap out credit cards for future needs. Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated!

We look forward to seeing you again and hope you are doing well!

Reviewed January 30, 2011

Im so sorry to give this poor review but here goes...I went there for lunch and a spa day. The massage/facial was absolutely excellent. Melissa is a gem! The food at Lon's at The Hermosa is another story. My girlfriend and I both had the tortilla soup. It had a very smoky burnt flavor that I did not care for. I also had the salmon on what I thought was going to be flatbread. It ended up being a deep fried fritter with a very thin piece of salmon on it. I didnt didn't eat either of my dishes. I ended up sharing my friends salad with her which was not good either. The dressing had a unique flavor that I did not care for. We had the Tiramisu for dessert which was the highlight of the meal. It was delicious. I hope to give Lon's another chance. The location is beautiful, the spa was amazing, and the staff were wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo

Thank you, LingMae, for your comments,

I will be sure to pass on your comments about your spa experience with Melissa, she loves to hear back from her guests!

With regard to your experience in LON'S, I have passed on your comments to Chef Pacheco, and we would love to have you return to LON'S and give us another opportunity to serve you. Please contact me directly when you are ready to return, and I will personally see to it that you are taken care of in a proper manner. You can reach me directly by calling the Inn, 602-955-8614 my extension is 150.

Thank you again, and I look forward to meeting you!

Reviewed January 14, 2011

In a quiet residential neighborhood, the casita style rooms are nicely renovated and very comfortable. So quiet and peaceful. Very accomodating staff were on top of our every request from beverage glasses in our room for our cocktail party with our travel group to Jules, our wonderful bartender who made us her signature drink, the "Natty." Lon's was supurb also. The grounds, pool area, and semi private hot tubs were wonderful. We'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you, bucksduck2011, for your wonderful comments,

We are glad you chose to stay with us during your visit to the valley, and truly appreciate your kind words. I will be sure to pass your compliments to Jules, she loves to hear the feedback!

We hope to see you again next year, should your travels bring you back to sunny Arizona!

Reviewed January 5, 2011

Actually we did not go to the Hermosa Inn on their Desert Splendor offer because when we called on January 5th to follow up on a spa retreat ad in the January edition of Travel & Leisure, miraculously ALL of the dates were sold out but they had another package to offer -- much less attractive. Originally we asked for dates specific but after calling the GM, he said if we were flexible we might be able to take advantage of the package. We said give us the dates and let us decide and within minutes we received a follow-up call and said there were no dates available. You decide -- bait and switch or not?

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Aurelia24
TheHermosaInn, Director of Sales at Hermosa Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

Dear Aurelia24,

Thank you for your feedback and I truly appreciate your concerns about our Desert Splendor package. When the package launched in December it was very popular and sold out quite quickly. As with all of our rates and packages they are subject to availability. Due to limited inventory as we only have 34 rooms this specific package included a room type that sold out in the package segment quite quickly. In response to the popularity of the package we created The Desert Escape package as an alternative with value and a different room type option. I apologize that we were not able to accommodate your request for the Desert Splendor package and the additional package was not of interest to you. However, I do hope that you will consider visiting us in the near future and I would be happy to personally assist you with finding a package or rate that we offer that best fits your needs.

Reviewed December 20, 2010

Having a December Birthday makes doing something special a little difficult, so my husband decided to surprise me with an overnight stay at The Hermosa. We had dined there before, but had never stayed.

The whole experience was wonderful, from check in on. Room was spacious & well furnished
A few special treats were provided. The Chocolates were absolutly amazing.

Dinner was a true dining experience. We were forturnate enough to get Jules as our server & she really outdid herself to make our evening special.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you, rhionsnana, for your comments,

We are thrilled that you chose to spend your birthday with us, what a wonderful compliment! I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Chef Trevor, our pastry chef, he will be pleased to see you enjoyed his chocolates!

Please keep us in mind when deciding how to spend your next special occasion, we would love to have you return!

Reviewed December 5, 2010

Have never been to a resort that was more relaxing and enchanting in this whole country! We had the very best time......Lon's resturant was FABULOUS and the service throughout was remarkable.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
TheHermosaInn, Director of Guest Experience at Hermosa Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2010

Thank you for the great review Simbaaa! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hermosa Inn and look forward to having you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Gainey Suites Hotel
#6 of 75 in Scottsdale
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Hermosa Inn? Share your experiences!