“Good local restaurant”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I actually needed a rating between average and very good for this restaurant. The service was a bit spotty, and our server's English was quite poor. She got one order completely wrong, did not know what low sodium soy sauce was, and when asked if they used MSG, told us that she was not a cook!

My crispy duck was good, but rather salty. Other dishes arrived hot (always a bonus!) and were tasty.

If ordering green tea, request an extra tea bag. They only used one bag for a big teapot - not enough.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My understanding is that three families of Asian ancestry put this place together. They did a great job and the result shows a lot of thought went into the planning process. The ambience is untypical of most Asian restaurants in Tucson.. No golden dragons or lions to be found. Instead the décor is what I would call Asian modern with an "open kitchen" where the cooks and cooking process is right out in the open and can be observed from the dining area
The restaurant is simply CLEAN. The lighting is really nice and easy on the eyes. No fluorescents here.
The wait staff is uniformed, attentive and service is excellent. The small bar (about 15 (seats) is adequately stocked with popular booze and the bar keep is friendly. The food is very good, portions are large and prices are very reasonable. . We dined at about 6 PM on a Thursday, the restaurant was quite full. Around 7 PM the crowd had thinned and tables were readily available. Enjoy it now as this place will catch on quickly and I'm certain will become a local favorite. .

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We ate there about 6pm on a Sat. That's a busy time so it was somewhat noisy. I'd prefer a little less crowded time. We got the sampler appetizer plate. That was fun. My husband thought it was a little greasy. I didn't notice. I liked the cucumber salad they brought out to the table with won tons to munch while we waited for our meal. My husband had mongollian shrimp and I had a cup of egg drop soup. Both were good. It cost about the same as Pei Wei plus tip. We'd go there again, but prefer Pei Wei.

1  Thank Jennie L
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I always look for a good authentic Chinese restaurant where they really serve authentic Chinese food to ease the home sick. In town they have plenty of Chinese restaurants claim that they serve authentic Chinese food but mostly were disappointing. But, I finally found an authentic Chinese restaurant in town!! I rated GMG Chinese Bistro five stars simply because they serve quality authentic Chinese dishes with great service and great prices. As a Chinese myself, I know what authentic Chinese food supposed to taste. I went there a few times last week and each time I visit, I’d try different dishes. I highly recommend the BBQ Duck, Beef Chow Fun, Cantonese Noodles, and Sizzling Combo. I am excited because I finally found an authentic Chinese restaurant that I can proudly to bring my friends and introduce them the REAL Chinese dishes!

2  Thank DionWand
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have to disagree with all the rave reviews about this place. We really wanted it to be good. This area needs more options. The restaurant itself is attractive and the service was good. We also had a nice bottle of reasonably priced wine. But, we were not impressed with the food. The appetizer "meat dumplings" were almost inedible because of so much dough. And, we felt compelled to ask what the "meat" was due to an allergy, but it's pork. We had the sweet and sour pork and the mongolian beef and "average" is about the best I can say. My daughter enjoyed the kids' orange chicken, but it was swimming in sauce. I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but I've had better Chinese food in Tucson.