“Amazing food, So-so service”
Review of El Charro Cafe

El Charro Cafe
Ranked #5 of 66 Restaurants in Oro Valley
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We became concerned after we had to go to the hostess 15 minutes after being seated, to get menus. We finally were greeted by a waitress, who was very nice and pleasant, and we ordered cocktails. The drinks came pretty quickly and we were asked if we wanted to order. We ordered appetizers and told the waitress we'd order the entree later. Fortunately, the decor was fun and bright and eclectic, so it helped passed the time, except that there were ants at our feet and the seats cushions were badly stained and dirty. About 20 minutes later our Queso Fundido arrived. It was delicious, with fingers since we never received chips, utensils or napkins. Every waiter that passed us made a concerted effort to avoid making eye contact with customers. By the time we were able to get the chips, our fundido was solid, no longer even warm. We used our forks and knives to eat it instead of chips. Another 20 minutes passed and our dishes were removed but we were not asked about our entrees. We finally found the busboy and placed our order with him. The waitress finally came out and asked us if our melas had arrived. Nope. She ran back and returned with lukewarm, but very tasty entrees. Overall the food was outstanding and the evening could have been perfect with decent service.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have eaten at El Charro many times on vacation and was happy to go back there while visiting Tucson last week. We ate there on Sunday evening and the restaurant wasn't very crowded but there still wasn't enough wait staff. The bartender had to come out from behind the bar to take our order and deliver our food.
The food took a long time to be delivered but the quality was still good.
I'll try it again but would prefer a more welcoming and service oriented restaurant.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I ate here one night while in town based on the reviews on trip advisor. I would give the food 4.5 stars-but the overall rating is 3 based on service. I ordered the fish tacos, a margarita and a side of guac. It took about 6 or 7 minutes when I sat down before the server came over. Another guy brought chips/salsa. The server finally came over. My food came before the margarita and a glass of water came. Really? It takes longer to prepare a margarita than food? Service was just not great. Too bad because the food was very good.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had a lovely chicken crispette salad that was huge! My friends and I shared yummy churros even though we were all full. Margaritas are good.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The decor was vibrate and the food mediocre. The cheese crisp was the best out of what we ordered. If one wants El Charro go to the original. The other locations seems to fall instead of stay the true El Charro way.

1  Thank DAhern