Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oro Valley
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at this property in late March, while attending a conference at the nearby Hilton ElConquistador. Given that the rate at the Fairfield Inn was about one third that of the Hilton, it was a quick decision to stay here.

On arrival, there was ample free parking. Check in was quick and painless. I was given a first floor room, which was quiet and clean. The room included a mini-fridge and nice LG flat screen TV (but hooked up to analog, not digital service, resulting in poor picture quality). The ventilation system allowed one to operate the fan in continuous mode, nice to provide background noise while sleeping. The only significant thing missing was an in-room safe. The free wi-fi internet worked well, It was only down once, for a short time, during my six night stay. Housekeeping service was efficient and effective. No problems at all there.

In fact, the only negative -- though it is significant -- was a plumbing issue. Specifically, the shower control was one of those off-brand fixtures practically requiring a graduate degree to operate. Or, experimenting with the thing early in the morning, still half-asleep, to figure out how to turn it on and adjust the water. Is it really that much of an issue for hotels to use standard fixtures, which everyone knows how to operate?

Worse, the shower water temperature simply could NOT be adjusted to remain comfortable. It changed constantly, going from ice cold to practically scalding. I know I was not the only one with this issue, as I heard other guests complaining of the same thing. I spoke to the front desk early in my stay, and was told, "Oh, yeah, they're working on it." In fact, I did see a plumber's van at the property. However, nothing changed for the duration of my stay.

The free breakfast was adequate the one day I took advantage of it. I did not eat at the next-door restaurant during my stay, as there are so many excellent Mexican choices nearby. It is a short drive into Tucson, and there are plenty of grocery stores nearby.

In summary, were it not for the plumbing issue, I would recommend this hotel without reservation. Hopefully, they will get it corrected.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CallerID

Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the same time as AquaFam. I do not understand their review. we had a very pleasent experience here. we booked 9 rooms for our group under one reservation, and despite having different names on all our rooms, check in was a breeze for all of us! All the rooms were clean and in great condition. The extra room for the desk and couch makes this room very comfortable, especially when you are trying to get several girls ready at once! The price was excellent for the space and accomodations. the staff was extremely helpful at all hours of the day and night. We will stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AquaMomof2
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We were traveling for a sporting event close by, and the Fairfield Inn really fit the bill as our team hotel. The facilities were great and the breakfast really helped out our athletes. The staff even started breakfast service a little early for us! We'll be back for sure.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

A redone Holiday Inn hotel. Updated with great colors...furniture and expanded free breakfast.
I give Marriott credit for this makeover...The front staff was professional and helpful. The Match play golf tournament was in the area so the hotel was full but the staff was ready! Only negative...the restaurant next store...Chicago style piezza It was Chicago all right...even getting the bill way out of line for the food.
A great place to stay on your way to see beautiful Oro Valley AZ and the state parks.

Room Tip: top floor..it was an older hotel once upon a time.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were randomly matched with this hotel through Priceline and I'm so glad we ended up here. It was a pleasant surprise with a lovely view and easy access to the city. I usually stay more in the center of things when I come back to Tucson, but I think for now on I'll take the longer drive and just stay here.

The room was large, nicely decorated and had a nice sized kitchenette, though we only used the fridge during our one-night stay. It felt pretty new and very clean. The breakfast was really tasty for a free continental breakfast and we were able to enjoy views of the Catalinas while eating.

If you have any business on the north side you'll be there in a a jiffy, and it was only about a 20 minute drive to get all the way downtown (trust me, driving even a few miles in Tucson can take a while so this was pretty quick). An easy u-turn will have you heading south on Oracle without any problem.

Don't be put off by it being in "Oro Valley," for all intents and purposes it's in Tucson. You can't get a much nicer place in town than in the Foothills, and for the price we paid, you can't get a better deal.

Room Tip: The hotel is a horseshoe shape with most of the rooms facing north or south, or facing the pool. It...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RamblingRed
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I cannot comprehend the most recent bad review from Aquafam about this hotel!! We were there during the same time, for the same youth athletic event, and could not have been happier and more satisfied! The hotel was immaculately clean; not only the rooms, but all hallways, lobby, breakfast room, pool area, even the elevator. It was one of the very best hotels we've ever stayed at. No "bad smells" whatsoever either. In fact, we immediately noticed the fresh, clean smell - NOT masked with fragrance of any kind - of our room and hallways. The room and decor looked brand new (hotel was remodeled in 2011), carpets and drapes, linens all were beautifully clean. Staff was wonderful, welcoming and very pleasant. Amenities in room were exceptionally adequate. We loved this hotel so much that we already reserved a room for another trip in April, as did at least 8 other families from our team. That says everything about how wonderful this hotel is. We will always highly recommend this Fairfield to anyone who ever comes out your way.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jughead345
Reviewed February 3, 2012

1/27 - This hotel is absolutely wonderful!!! It was immaculate! Complimentary breakfast was much more than I ever expected with an incredible variety of options from cold cereal, yogurt, french toast, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit and much much more- you name it they had it. I have travelled quite a bit and wish all the hotels I stayed at were just as clean and inviting. The staff was always helpful with directions and knowledge of nearby places to eat and shopping. The rooms were wonderful - very spacious! Never hear a noise from neighbors on either side and the hotel was full! The views out the back of the hotel are gorgeous. I highly recommend this hotel for individuals to families. The location is great and service was OUTSTANDING! Can't wait to come back! Thank you to Marriott properties for such a well run and great hotel!

Room Tip: I had a room with 2-queen beds and pull out sofa - much more room that I would have ever expected.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
5 mi away
Best Western Innsuites Tucson Foothills Hotel & Suites
Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University
El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley? Share your experiences!