“Surprising disappointment”

Dining options: Reservations
Tucson, AZ
“Surprising disappointment”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I have been eating lunch here regularly for 2-3 years. I enjoy the buffet for its flavors, its GF-free abundance and for the price. Staff is pleasant and efficient.
A couple of weeks ago I brought a friend who enjoys Indian food to this restaurant for lunch. He ordered chicken biryani with hot spice and I ordered the tandoori lamb kabobs, medium well with hot/medium spicing. His was good and plentiful but without any spicy heat at all. My meal consisted of unspiced, past-well-done to the point of lost flavor and toughness pieces of lamb placed on top of the "vegetables": a very, very few small pieces of sauted onion and even fewer (like 4) small pieces of bell pepper. I was doling out the onion pieces to make them last the whole meal just so there would be some sort of flavoring to each bite.
Needless to say, after all my previous time here, this meal was a real disappointment. I gave 3 stars only because my friend's meal was decent, if underspiced.
I truly hope this experience was an abberation! Time will tell.

Visited June 2014

Tucson, Arizona
“Our favorite Indian Dining”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife and I have dinner there on the order of once a week. Extremely warm and friendly people. Also occasionally do their lunch buffet.

The restaurant is clean, nicely furnished and modern. Table cloths and linen napkins are the norm. They have a fairly wide selection of vegetarian dishes which is important to us as we are vegetarians. Service is fast and competent. The food is very good, nicely served and plentiful. Pricing is very reasonable for what you get. Nice place to take your family.

Visited June 2014
Tucson, Arizona
“Wonderful gem in OV”
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Having passed this restaurant several times by car or cycling, always intending to dine there; one evening, when our favorite Greek restaurant was booked up, we gave it a try.

It's just modest place at the end of the strip mall, but affords a great view of Pusch Ridge.

The staff is friendly and willing to help those unfamiliar with Indian cuisine. The Bar is small, but well stocked with your favorite spirit.

The food is excellent, good portions and moderately priced. We have become regular customers to this restaurant.

Cave Creek, Arizona
“Best Indian Food”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We stop by here for the lunch buffet or dinner every time we are in Tucson. We love Indian food and we think this restaurant has the best Indian food in Tucson. The owners and servers are also very friendly. We highly recommend this place - the lunch buffet is especially good and a good value.

Medina, OH
“The Flavor of India is distasteful”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

If this place represents the "flavor" of India, I would neither want to visit the country or ever again eat their cuisine. Thankfully, I know better.

Located in a typical Safeway shopping plaza, in the end suite, this restaurant does provide a beautiful mountain view. However, the appeal of "Flavor of India" ends with the view, as tablecloths and linen napkins cannot make up for terrible food and abominable service.

Entering the restaurant, I was struck by how it did not even smell of typical Indian spices, but rather had an unappetizing "burnt" smell in the air. The hostess was friendly, so I ignored the odor and had a seat.

When my waiter, a young man with an 8-o'clock shadow, arrived at my table, it became apparent that he really would have preferred to be anywhere but at work....most likely at some club partying. I watched his manner with an elderly couple seated in the next booth, and could see it was not a personal thing. He didn't really want to be serving anyone and he grunted rather than conversed to let you know so.

From the vegetarian menu, I chose the Aloo Gobi, and I also requested an order of the Aloo Naan bread as a side. The relatively small serving size of the Aloo Gobi was more than enough, as I still left some behind. I don't remember ever having Indian food that was as tasteless and boring as this. Rather ironic for a place with "Flavor" in their title!

Between the poor food and the unpleasant waiter, I definitely would not recommend "Flavor of India" to anyone, and especially not to someone who wanted to try Indian food for the first time.

• Visited April 2014