“NOT WORTH IT”

Holiday Inn Express Oro Valley - Tucson North
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oro Valley
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The problem with this property is the Manager. First, we had no TV, next two nites, no hair dryer and now they are switching to Holiday Inn Express. His answer to all the problems "You can't flip a switch". Location is OK but with this management, not a good place to stay. His nasty attitude to his customers goes over to his employees. Plus they do not have good pillows - glad I packed mine and our bathroom door would not shut. There are other places in the area far better for the value.

Room Tip: Make sure all the amenities work! Our hair dryer never did work and they sent us to other rooms to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tucsonjan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oro Valley - Tucson North, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear tucsonjan ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property regarding your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear your poor experience during your visit. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the service issues you had with the Manager on Duty. We strive to give great and impressive service to all our guests and we deeply regret that we have failed to deliver on this occasion.

We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are looking to stay in the Oro Valley area, this hotel provides a clean and what looks like newly renovated atmosphere. It definitely isn't a 4 or 5 star resort, but the rooms were a good size and very clean; the beds comfortable. A breakfast buffet is provided, else there are plenty of places around to grab food (strip malls with shops and food places) to the north and south of the hotel. There is a fitness room that was larger than expected. The location is good for Oro Valley, but the Tucson attractions can be up to 40 minutes away, but the drives are usually pretty as there are mountains as backdrops.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Euro_101
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Quick, easy check in. No issues with room or bill. Location was ideal for us to visit family in Oro Valley. Breakfast was decent, kids loved the waffle maker and juice machine. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed June 15, 2012

First room we were given had a serious plumbing problem. Staff immediately assigned us a different room. They were very courteous and responsive to our needs, and met our requests without delay. I have stayed here before, and will do so again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have stayed here twice now on business, both times for two weeks at a time.

During my first stay, I noticed that someone had thrown out a bunch of food in the trash can in the vending area and also put a few extra bags of trash around the trash can. That trash all stayed there for a week until I complained that it wasn't being cleaned and was starting to stink.

The second time I stayed there, it was exactly the same problem. Then I realized that people weren't putting extra bags of trash there. The can was full and people were stacking it up around the can. This time, I waited to see how long it would take before anyone cleaned it up. They never did. I finally mentioned it to the front desk after 12 days.

Inside the room, there is one glass cup by the ice. I'm paranoid that they don't replace them on a daily basis. I noticed that there was a scratch on the bottom of the glass on the first week. I filled it with water and left it. The same glass was there at night, but emptied and dried. I don't know if housekeeping is using dishwashing detergent to clean this one cup, but I doubt it.

There is a sign by the bed that says they'll change the sheets every third day for extended stays, like me. The same sheets, with the same stain, stayed on my bed the entire time. I guess that's okay with me since I was the only one using the sheets and I did see them strip down a bed between guests in another room.

The walls are thin. I can hear the people talking in the rooms next to me, and the "doorbell" sound the elevator makes can be heard all the way down the hall.

Also, it's not clear if this hotel is owned by Wyndham or is something else. When I sign on to the free wi-fi, it directs me to the Wyndham website, and there is Wingate by Wyndham literature and directories in the rooms, so I guess it's Wyndham.

Now for the good stuff.

The views around here are beautiful and there is a hiking trail adjacent to the hotel. It's also in a nicer area. Other than Chili's, there is nothing within about a mile, so there isn't any through traffic in the parking lot, so that helps with the noise. The hotel is also set off a little from the main road, so I couldn't hear any traffic.

Breakfast was okay. I can't complain because it's free. It's a standard continental breakfast - juice, coffee, bagels, waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits (and gravy!) Also, free USA Today on weekdays.

The "high speed" internet was free. It includes both wired and wireless, but in my first room, the wired didn't work and the wireless was slow. The second time, both worked and the speed was fine.

The rooms are a nice size and overall were clean and looked newer. The rooms have a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee pot.

The workout room is nice and has new, high-quality equipment (treadmill, elliptical, bike, and weight machine.) I haven't used the pool or hot-tub, but the area looks nice.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Reno_Traveler42
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Hotel was clean and quiet. The breakfast buffet was adequate but nothing special. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful with questions about the area.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Patricia F
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was a super nice hotel, room,pool,spa, the front desk person. The food in the AM was also good, seems no one knows about it, but stay here instead on the city limits of Tucson.
They even had a special lift at the hot tub so a handicap person could also enjoy the hot tub.
That was cool.

La Posada Lodge and Casitas
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tucson Paloma Village
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall
El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oro Valley - Tucson North? Share your experiences!