“Real-life Science Fiction”

Biosphere 2
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Oracle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can observe nature in a controlled state at this world-famous steel and glass research center where desert, forest, ocean and other ecosystems are monitored and studied.
Flagstaff, AZ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Real-life Science Fiction”
Reviewed January 31, 2009

A visit to Biosphere 2 is a must for visitors who are truly interested in science and want to see one of the most fascinating experiments in sustainable living ever undertaken by mankind. This is not a theme park, but an opportunity to go inside the actual man-made facility that housed 8 people for two years. I don't think of myself as a science geek, so I think that the tour should be interesting to just about everyone.

4 Thank ArbPubProg

Milton-Freewater, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“interesting, a little creepy”
Reviewed June 11, 2008

I randomly stopped by here and plucked 20 dollars down for a tour. I'm glad I did. I thought the tour guide did a good job of narrating the tour. Sure the place is a little on the humid side, this is expected of all green houses. It got real interesting when the tour guide took us down below and went through the mechanical part of it. At one point I thought I was going to wet my pants, due to fear. This was when we went down into one of the actual lungs; these keep the air stable within the actual biodome. In here it was cold, dingy, and large. I could hear every echo in the room. Gives me the creeps writing about it. YIKES!!! Overall, I felt it was well worth the 20 dollars, and I'm glad I stopped to take the tour.

5 Thank OregonRob
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Save Your Money”
Reviewed November 19, 2006

$19.99 per person for a very exausting walk to see dead plants and 20 types of stinky soil. Woohoo. Most exibits are broken. Save your time and gas and possible heart attack. Not for those not in top shape. Good luck.

8 Thank Fblue50
Kona, HI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Disaster!”
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Last Visit:September 2006

I took my friend as a treat and we were sorely disappointed. The tour guide had an accent so thick we couldn't understand him 80% of the time.

We were told upon entering that we HAD to stay with the tour the entire time and that we could NOT go back to leave under any circumstances. We wanted to leave after 15 mins. and get our money back but could not. The receptionist said, "Don't worry, just write to the email address on the back of the brochure and they will refund your money."

I was contacted by John Adams, Associate Director for Public Outreach, whatever that is, only this morning to be told that I would not be receiving a refund but could go again for free anytime! Not only is the idea of this absurd, but I live in Hawaii, and have no intentions of ever going to visit this non-descript ghost town again. Be warned... a complete waste of time and money!

12 Thank singhispraises
Tucson
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“OK if you're really interested”
Reviewed August 27, 2006

Growing up, I remember the "ohhs and ahhs" when Biosphere 2 was first built and the initial 8 crewmembers were enclosed.
I was disappointed when I went for the tour of the facilities. The tickets are expensive and Biosphere 2 is showing it's age. The space frame is rusting and the informational signs could use some updating.

I found that a book written by biospherian, Jane Poynter (The Human Experiment: Two Years and Twenty Minutes Inside Biosphere 2) to be a lot more informative than the actual tour. The book goes in depth on the science behind the project as well as the psychological impact of living in isolation. I developed a better appreciation of this aging structure after reading the memoir. I would recommend reading the book then visiting Biosphere 2 to get a complete picture of the experiment.

11 Thank thu44