“Very interesting and I think the kids should see it!”
Review of Biosphere 2

Biosphere 2
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Oracle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can observe nature in a controlled state at this world-famous steel and glass research center where desert, forest, ocean and other ecosystems are monitored and studied.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

It was very hot the day I went (108). The walk is daunting but I really enjoyed it and would do it again just not while it's in the 3 digits! There are several sections in the Biosphere like the ocean, desert and rain forest. I was a little disappointed that we didn't walk through the rain forest but I think the bamboo has taken over. I really did enjoy it and the guide we had was fantastic. I'm sorry I can't remember her name.

1  Thank kem12
in 28 reviews
"answer questions"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have all heard the story of the experiment now this walk thru of the facility is really interesting. It's a shame they don't have more money to keep it up better

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My teenage son and I visited Biosphere 2 in late June, and really enjoyed our visit. Some tips to help during your visit:

TIPS:
1. I had my son watch a 9 minute NY Times video (http://www.nytimes.com/video/booming/100000002268243/biosphere-2-an-american-space-odyssey.html) that I found on the Wikipedia entry for Biosphere 2. The video gave him some context on Biosphere 2 for our upcoming visit, and removed his initial resistance to going there.

2. Our tour guide was very good, and quite knowledgeable. She used a handheld megaphone and amplifier, but there were times when machinery noise could drown her out if you were not positioned near her. My suggestion is to go during the week (probably smaller groups) and try to always be near the guide to hear her explanations.

3. The tour of the 'lung' building was surprisingly engrossing. It was very interesting to my son. The entire internal structure of the building was designed to expand and contract during the course of the day. It is inactive now, but did when the project was in its active mode in 1991-1993. It was pretty astounding, and really grabbed my son's interest.

4. When they say there are a lot of stairs and to bring good walking shoes, they mean it.

5. I think that a person should prepare for the visit by researching Biosphere 2 ahead of time (see its Wikipedia entry). It really makes a difference. The story of the place is really interesting, and almost none of its history is covered during the tour.

Overall, it was a really neat place, and well worth the visit. If you have an inquiring mind, this is heaven. If not, it might be a bit dull.

3  Thank hbarnes14
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We were a bit apprehensive about driving up to this site as we thought that it might have been all advertising hype. We went in late June on a Friday at noon. The place was not busy as this is low season. We grabbed a tour ($20 each) and headed off with a guide for an hour and a half. The first 15 minutes was an explanatory film---yes, we hpget it, Mr. Bass spent $150 million building this place, did The Human Experiment, turned it over to Columbia University as a research facility and then donated it to the University of Arizona. Inside you will tour though a ecosystem, a rainforest, an "ocean", a desert and into the underbelly of 2 acres of equipment. The "lung" engineering is a marvel. Bottom line-- make the time to get up there, it's pretty amazing. Wear walking shoes and bring your own water.

1  Thank nadojeff