“Worth a Drive”

Biosphere 2
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Oracle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can observe nature in a controlled state at this world-famous steel and glass research center where desert, forest, ocean and other ecosystems are monitored and studied.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I remember the first Biosphere experiments and looking at photos of it in magazines. It has fascinated me ever since, so when I realized that it was just a bit out of our way on a road trip it became part of the plan. The two parts I found the most amazing were the crew quarters from the sealed live-in experiments and the "lung" that adjusts for the changes in pressure in the buildings. It was fun to see "love long and prosper" on one of the coveralls work by one of the 2 groups to live in the Biosphere. I wish that the talk and tour had discussed more about what happened with the live in experiments and what was learned and done as a result of them. However the University of Arizona owns it now so much of the talk was about the current experiments which is paying for the place I guess! It is a long walk so may be difficult for anyone with mobility issues and it gets really warm in some parts of the building like the rain forest, so wear layers!

All reviews
in 28 reviews
"answer questions"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2014

With limited time in Tucson we had to make choices in what to see. So glad we chose Biosphere 2. Very interesting tour and knowledgeable guide. Didn't really know what to expect as we hadn't heard of the place or the experiment carried out in the 80's. We had the last tour of the day so didn't see the cafe or gift shop as they were closed by the time we were finished. It was particularly interesting to hear of the current research projects being done. Would recommend this tour.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I am u science oriented, but the Biosphere2 trip was well worth it. I wish I could have stayed in the rain forrest for about 30 minuteus. it was peaceful and calming. Our guide Bettina, was knowledgable, enthusiastic and passionate about her work. She knew a lot of the history and told great stories. Her style, makes you not think about the terrain and walking up and down stairs.

The receptionist at the desk was horrible. I felt she was stressed and robotic. I was with my wife, son and girlfriend (who are both students at U of A), but his girlfriend didn't have her ID and the receptionist, wouldn't take her CAT card as an ID. I am glad to say, that the tour was worth the poor reception we received upon entering. Well worth the 2 hours.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

On Google this extremely interesting place does not rate as well as it does here - maybe that says something about the expectations of visitors who see a trip as a journey, rather than a destination. I found my entire day at Biosphere 2 to be educational and inspiring. The woman who guided my tour was upbeat about the future of this amazing place. After visiting there herself, she came out of retirement as a media personality to volunteer here.
Frankly, I think the story that this was a failed experiment is nonsense. Experiments by definition to not guarantee expected results.
Biosphere 2 is a tribute to ingenuity, dedication, foresight, and creativity. It is also a most generous gift to science, Arizona, and people of the tribe called curious.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 27, 2014

If your tour guide is Tina, wait for the next tour. What a toon. The website for Biosphere2 tells you it is a 1 1/4 hour tour. Same thing the ticket seller said. Tina managed to make it just over 2 hours. Not because she had so much extra knowledge to impart, but because she is a frustrated actress who should be employed at the a Gaslight Theater in Tucson instead of a Biosphere2. Her gyrations, gestures, histrionics, hyperbole, and repetition grate on you. Blah blah blah.

Also, tour is not handicapped accessible so my husband stayed home. He lucked out. Didn't have to be entertained by Tina.

Been to Biosphere 2? Share your experiences!