“Interesting but raises some questions.”
Review of Biosphere 2

Biosphere 2
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Oracle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can observe nature in a controlled state at this world-famous steel and glass research center where desert, forest, ocean and other ecosystems are monitored and studied.
Scottsdale, Arizona
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 337 helpful votes
“Interesting but raises some questions.”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We visited B2 for the first time a few weeks ago. No doubt a fascinating place to visit with self contained forests, deserts an ocean and huge greenhouses. The tour itsef was fascinating but what they kept saying was how the folks who spent years enclosed n this thing we "Living off the land" as it were. I can believe that they were producing a lot of their own stuff inside but you learn that they had small apartment style sleeping quarters, an off site water pump system, bathrooms and phones. Not exactly 100% living off the land. If anything I saw this as a fascinating look at science and a promotion for solar powered energy but nothing more than that. Some of the tour actually made me think that as a country we're a little behind the times when it comes to self suffiencey because a ot of the stuff they used in B2 years and years ago we've had more than our share of opportunities to use but have not. If you want to come here and learn more about science, it's ideal but I didn't take it as more than that.

Visited March 2012
4 Thank Coder

Phoenix, Arizona
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Fascinating Location”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I will try not to add what others have already said.
My family and I were in Tucson so we decided to visit the Biosphere as we've always been curious (25 min drive from Tucson). We really enjoyed the visit. Fees were reasonable ($20). I found the tour to be very informative. As others have said, you get a little bit of everything - the video which serves as a good history lesson and overview. The actual walking tour, which I thought was very interesting, and then whatever you want to do on your own at the end walking around (although you can't walk on your own through the pods) Our guide (Betina? sp, I think) was very enthusiastic. She gave good history, was able to answer questions, and explained the science that was being performed, and how some experiments carried out then apply today. We stopped in each of the areas - rainforest, Savannah - (overlooking ocean), Marshlands, and Desert. At each stop, she highlighted experiments or things we would've missed by walking by. I found this helpful. It was an open Q&A session the entire time.

The walking tour is about 90 minutes.

We also enjoyed viewing the kitchen and one of the living quarters which we did on our own. Also on your own, there's a underground viewing area of the ocean underwater (similar to what you find in aquariums - but be advised - its not an aquarium)

If you like science or are remotely interested in any of the history, its worth seeing. All the buildings and the rainforest, the ocean, marshes, savannah, desert, and then the infrastructure tunnels underground finishing up in the lung - it was all very fascinating. There's also a lot of existing science and experiments going on today (LEO, solar panels, etc)
Its a good half-day trip.

I can see myself returning and potentially taking a visitor there.
If you like science, you'll probably enjoy. If you're in the Tucson area, its worth the trip. I don't know if I can recommend making the trip from Phoenix, as that's a good 2 hour+ drive. That's up to the individual and will be personal preference.

I hope this was helpful!

Visited March 2012
5 Thank Stan86
Tucson, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Biosphere”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I really enjoyed the vass size of these structures and knowing that it was actually lived in self containment for 2 years. Tour was not so good!

Oro Valley, Arizona
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“A worthwhile visit”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is a must see if you go to Tuscon. It is at least an hour north of downtown Tucson towards Phoenix. The University of Arizona now runs the Biosphere and the experiment is an informative journey in alternative energy sources...both successes and failures. It is good for both school age children to adults. It is not good for those with disabilities.

3 Thank berniss
Bothell, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Unique Experience”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Biosphere 2 is a one of a kind place to visit. We enjoyed our tour of the facilities. It's not so much about the areas as it is about how they were able to create such an amazing place. Seeing the equipment in the basement and especially the "lung" was the best part of the tour. The location is a little off the beaten path, but worth the visit.

Visited February 2012