“Dilapidated/Run down/Worn”

El Dorado Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Nogales
“Dilapidated/Run down/Worn”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel based on previous reviews as well as proximetry to the First Annual Nogales Classic Bicycle Ride. Apparently it used to be a Days Inn (at least the shower curtain said so). The Pros: Very friendly staff, (although we had to wait each time we went to the desk for something (coffee pot, towels, info on ice machine) for at least 5 minutes--staff came from outside the main building; very nice looking lobby, hot tub (only 2 jets worked), pool, fairly comfortable bed, clean fridge and microwave, continental breakfast (good coffee), no bad smells. Cons: no smoke detector (hole in wall), no fitness room, only one towel (small and rough), no tissues/box in tissue holder, worn, stained carpet, holes in bed comforter, two very flat pillows on the bed, door to bottom of sink (looking for another towel) fell off, faded peeling wall paper, back of hotel fenced off for second floor entry. Since the beds felt comfortable w/o signs of any bugs, we stayed. Had a good rest. It's too bad that the hotel was so run down. There were many unused rooms that the staff could have put us in and then perhaps I'd have a different review. Too bad the attention paid to the lobby wasn't extended to the rooms. Next year we plan on staying elsewhere, like the Americana--almost as close to City Hall and recently remodeled.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tucson_AZAdventurer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Magdalena, New Mexico
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We were having trouble finding a hotel that allowed pets. We found the El
Dorado. The owners are great, friendly and very helpful. This is not a fancy place, but if you are looking for a clean, comfortable place at a great price, this is it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zonker87825
Nogales
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had a stay of four days in El Dorado . It was a great experience . I had come to stay in Nogales so I needed to stay in a motel till I found my own apartment .My family was going to join me a little later.When I reached here I was missing my family but fortunately the people over here gave me a homely atmosphere . They guided me in my relocation though it was not their responsibility. I cherish those days of my life.
If I speak about the ambiance of the motel it is superb. The rooms are well organized and beautiful .The services are excellent. I highly recommend this motel if you really want to enjoy your stay away from home.
Mable Shaju

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Mable S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I had to go to mexico for visa stamping and I am glad that I found this place for overnight stay.
All I can say is this Hotel is best for price in Nogales AZ.
The staff was very friendly and courteous. The rooms were pretty big and clean.
I highly recommend this hotel especially if you are finding place for overnight stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Aniruddha_m
Alamo, Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I read the two reviews, and thot I'd stay here because it said it had a bar here, a good breakfast, and nice employees. Called and made reservation with Akum, tho a little difficult to understand his English. He said he'd just charge $10 for one pet, not $20 for my two girlies.
Arrived late, but they still had my reservation. With AARP rate, he said it would be about 70-80 dollars, and I said Motel 6 was probably cheaper and didn't have a pet fee. I called Motel 6, and I could have gotten in for less than $50. Told desk clerk, and he fiddle farted and said he'd give me a room for $53, plus $10 pet fee, and a free breakfast. I finally agreed to it, and after this "discount" it still turned out to be $73.00.
The bar is closed down.
Signs in office say Saturday breakfast 6:30 to 9:30 AM; I was there at 6:45, but cook wouldn't be there until 8 pm. Motel manager called me when cook arrived. Breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast and hashbrowns, and ham so salty my dogs wouldn't eat it, either. Cook was a very attractive woman with a big smile! Very nice lady!
Room was fine, it did have a fridge and microwave, and a table with two chairs.
Don't know why he gave me a handicapped room - the clothing rack was 4 feet off the ground, and my dresses and coats couldn't hang on it.
All outlets were used except for the one in the bathroom, makes it tricky to charge phones or use computer.
Manager said if I wrote a good review on here, he'd give me a $5 discount on my next stay. But he doesn't know I am writing this.
Gas station / store across the street.
I went to Scotty's, a bar about 3 miles up Grand Avenue. Big crowd there, all know each other, about four busy pool tables. DJ played good music, but no one danced but me.
Came here to go to Mexico for medications and gifts. The office had a pre-made map of how to get to border and parking.
Called office from Mexico that I would be an hour late checking out of hotel because of late breakfast, and long line coming back into states, and that wasn't a problem at all.
I'd like to stay again. It was close enough to the border, friendly staff, good breakfast (I'll try the breakfast burrito next time). Nice patrons, too.
But upset how expensive it turned out to be.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank yup2469
Tempe,AZ
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I stayed for one night. The room, furniture and bed was good and clean. The bathroom was "ok" and need some upgrade. I did the reservation on the motel website. When I got to the Motel, there was no trace of the reservation. I had a copy of it with me so I got the room for the same price, otherwise they would have charged me more. Overall, I recommend staying at this Motel. Next time I would call the front desk instead of using their web site to reserve a room.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Sunny_AZ_08
california
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I am 51 years old and I went down to Nogales Arizona to enjoy the border town. I called the hotel and made reservations with one of the receptionists. When I got there they attended me quickly and the young man was very curtiouse. The rooms in El Dorado are very nice and clean. They offered free breakfest beacuse of the room rental, and in the morning I went and simply loved it. They helped me with directions and information I needed to get around the town. It seems they went out of their way to tend my needs. The night before the day I was going to leave, I went to the bar that is located in the office (the front office is very big and clean as well). The bartender was very nice and they had many varieties of drinks available. All done the way you want them to be done(for those who like a certain drink in a certain way). They had a live band (which was awsome), kareokee, and they also had many large T.v's where you could watch sports. It was great! If it wasent cold, I would have gladley enjoyed the pool( they have a spa that is heated but I thought it was still to could to get in the water). All in all my stay was fantastic!!! I plan to go down there once again in another occasion and stay at El Dorado again.I give Kudos To the young man that attended me. Thank you Sergio for helping me.

Stayed February 2008
4 Thank peters11098
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nogales
Best Western Sonora Inn & Suites
Candlewood Suites Nogales
Quality Hotel Americana Nogales
Holiday Inn Express Nogales
Fairfield Inn & Suites Nogales
Fray Marcos De Niza
Fray Marcos De Niza
#5 of 7 in Nogales

Been to El Dorado Inn? Share your experiences!