“Very strong fragrance used in all laundry”

Holiday Inn Express Nogales
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nogales
Reviewed March 29, 2012

If you read all the other reviews, I pretty much agree with all of them. We have stayed at this hotel more than 4 times in as many weeks, and finally figured out why we both came away the next day feeling sick and having asthma issues. The laundry cleaning products have a very strong fragrance, which, it seems, that we are both sensitive too. This fragrance is throughout the hotel, so you just can't get away from it. We have now chosen to stay at the Best Western next door, and find it much newer and cleaner, and no strong fragrance smells. If strong fragrance smells don't bother you, please frequent this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nogales, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear mechanic_da,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel, I am very sorry to hear you did not find our laundry fragrance pleasing. We appreciate your feedback and your comments will be shared with the appropriate department. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed March 17, 2012

This appears to be a fairly new hotel with larger-than-usual rooms (at least mine was). The desk staff was friendly and the free breakfast had hot items--scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy. The only downside (temporary) was the fact that the front entrance was blocked off because a contractor was refinishing the concrete in the driveway. It was inconvenient to have to go around to the side of the hotel to gain access.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Your average hotel. The rooms were okay. Wi-Fi wasn't the greatest. Breakfast was blah. The fitness center equipment could use some upgrading (I avoided the universal gym). Nothing majorly wrong with the hotel but I'll probably try the Candlewood Suites next door during my next visit to the area just because it's newer (both hotels are part of the IHG group so I don't feel to bad saying that).

• Stayed: January 2012
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express Nogales, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Monster_1981,

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback via Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Nogales, AZ. I was disappointed to read that you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests, this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We always stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Nogales, AZ before going across the border to Mexico. The rooms are clean and quiet and breakfast is always consistent. It's very handy to the Mariposa border crossing.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AdventureForward
Reviewed August 17, 2011

was only here for 1 night, so not too much to say.

Breakfast was what I expected.

Wifi Internet performance was fine and free.

the room was clean, large and decent.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

The HIE in Nogales is a new hotel and they are working hard on getting it in tip-top shape. I stayed at the kids' suite with my family on a business trip and we would travel out most every afternoon. As a neurotic traveler, I always unpack and take stock of what we have and where we're storing everything. The night before our departure, when we were re-packing, I found that my digital camera ($100-$150 price range), a pair of earrings (<$30), and a ring (>$300 and yes - definitely my bad for leaving something this valuable in the room) had been taken. Additionally, when we arrive at home my wife couldn't find some inexpensive make-up items that she had in her make-up bag.

The hotel manager was very courteous and the seemed interested in our complaint however nothing could be done because hotels aren't liable for what you leave in your room apparently. And - Oh by the way, the person who cleaned my room was a long time (4 yr) empoyee of the hotel and is "very honest". So my only other alternative (as a foreigner) is to call in the Nogales police to investigate.

Yes, I should've placed the ring in a safe deposit box...but a note to any traveler coming here - the hotel is fine but be sure to put EVERYTHING in you safe deposit box...because I had things taken from my room that a random (non-neurotic) traveler like myself might not have noticed until much later. Unless you're willing to get the Nogales PD involved - I suggest RUN. My suggestion - stay across the street at the Best Western or the Candlewood.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
IvanDrechsler, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nogales, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

It is always difficult in handling the issues of potential theft or missing items in the hotel environment. This particular incident was the first one I have encountered at the hotel. Plus we have a seasoned staff who in the 9 years the property has been opened, most have been with us,( especially in Housekeeping) for three years or more. We have the ability to identify all who have accessed the room over the period in question and we did determine that the hotel staff going into the room was the person assigned to servicing the room. Upon the guest departure we thoroughly inspected the room and found an item that was left behind and kept it for them until their return trip to Nogales along with their twin baby cribs for their young babies. I did offer to facilitate a report with the police, but the offer was never taken up. The unfortunate thing is that Hotel Law only provides responsibility for items of value that are placed in the hotel security lock boxes and issued a key. A secure procedure is followed to assure the access is only by the individual signing up for the box. This is a free service for most hotels, especially ours since we value the security of valuables on the property.

Reviewed December 4, 2009

Pretty standard fare as far as Holiday Inn Express is concerned. The hotel is not that old so still in pretty good shape. There is very little to choose from there on the border, and this is perfectly fine for where you are at. If you are looking for luxury, you won't find it but the rooms were clean and decent sized in a SW motif. Decent workout room and standard fare HI Ex breakfast (those cinnamon rolls are evil and delicious).

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nogales
Best Western Sonora Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Nogales
Fiesta Inn Nogales
Fiesta Inn Nogales
#1 of 7 in Nogales

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nogales? Share your experiences!