“Spectacular”

Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter Observatory
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our visit to the Sky Center was the last stop on a week-long trip to Tucson, and it was a fantastic way to end our trip. Adam Block was an incredibly knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and interesting SkyCenter host. I've done some star gazing through smaller telescopes, but the large telescope at the SkyCenter offered up images I've never had the opportunity to see. And one of the great things about the program is that it works for both novice and experienced stargazers, with good background information provided for the inexperienced, while not boring those with a little more knowledge. My husband and I would definitely make a return visit if we're near Tucson again, as each night at the center can offer up different objects to observe, depending on the timing and clarity of the night's sky.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This was our second trip to the Sky Nights program. The first time we loved it so much we came home and bought our own 8" telescope shortly thereafter. Our host, Keith, was knowledgable and obviously has a passion for astronomy. The five hour program goes by quickly as it is filled with lots of hands on learning activities, highlighted, of course, by viewing nebulae, galaxies, stars, the moon and planets through the 32" telescope.

We will defintely be back for a third visit in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

SkyNights is a one of a kind experience. It was fascinating. Come prepared though, as we did not have enough warm clothes and froze. It's a long night though. They could make it a bit shorter -- start it closer to night viewing.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have attended many science-oriented programs around the world and this was by far the best one I have ever attended. I am still in awe of what we did, and what we saw. Unlike some other similar programs, you actually get to look through a world-class telescope yourself. In so doing, you see actual galaxies 30 million light years away. It will blow your mind. Reserve a space early. The astronomers that run the program are incredible, and somehow manage to squeeze a ton of information into the overall program in a really fun, engaging and interactive way. I was thoroughly impressed with their depth and breadth of knowledge. The whole time we had fun and interesting things to do, and I can't believe how much I learned (and how much I realized I didn't know!). The views are spectacular all the way through-- from the drive up the mountain, to the sunset, to peering through our solar system, our galaxy, and into other galaxies. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

When you reserve your space, they send you all sorts of info to plan your trip. It is easy enough to follow their directions-- make sure you do. Even in the summer you will need some warm clothes. But don't let potential discomfort turn you away-- this is a program that just about anyone can do, even if you have limited mobility, etc. They also provide you with top-notch binoculars for one part of the program, as well as breaks into warmer areas, and even a nice sandwich-type dinner. I was riveted throughout the whole program-- they really keep things moving in a natural way so you never feel bored or rushed. The program is really professionally done and is perfect for everyone from the total novice who knows little to nothing about astronomy, to someone who knows quite a bit more.

The opportunity to look through this telescope and see what you will see is a once in a lifetime experience not to be missed. UA's SkyCenter deserves huge credit for allowing the public to be a part of this-- most humans will simply never see what we got a chance to see last night. It was utterly unforgettable. I am telling everyone I know to do this before they die!

Also, if you are interested in photography, you will be fascinated by this. Adam Block (one of the program leaders) takes photos from this telescope, and they are amazing-- and often featured in NASA's Picture of the Day. You will have a couple of chances to purchase (and have signed) any of these photos at a really reasonable price. I was so inspired by these photos-- works of art, really.

In a word, this program is profound.

2  Thank Traveller8675309
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This program is great. Whether you are a real astronomy buff or just like looking at the stars, this is a must do program when you are in Tucson. Adam does a great job explaining some really complex things using layman's terms which makes it fun and understandable. The bonus is the drive up and down Mt. Lemmon with spectacular views along the way.