“The best place to stay in Samoa!”
Review of Taufua Beach Fales

Taufua Beach Fales
Canberra, Australia
“The best place to stay in Samoa!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Lalomanu is by far the most beautiful beach I saw in Samoa (I did a lot of travelling around both islands) and Taufua Beach Fales is definitely an amazing place in Lalomanu to stay! The fales (both open and closed) are well maintained and located right on the incredible beach, and the prices are great value (by Samoan standards). For 70WST per person per night you get accommodation (in a non-ensuite open or closed fale) as well as breakfast and dinner both included. The food is by no means 5 star restaurant style but it's definitely tasty and filling. They were able to cater to my group's dietary requirements too which was great. The staff are all incredibly friendly and helpful and the younger workers are always up for a laugh.
Forget paying $300 plus for a resort (I stayed in 3 - Aggie Greys, Sinalei and Le Vasa) - Taufua is so much better value for money and so much nicer! Also, it is family owned so you are supporting the local Samoan people by staying here rather than an international resort owner. If you can't stand being without airconditioning or a private bathroom the ensuite fales have both and are only slightly more expensive. Lalomanu Beach is 100 times better than the beaches at any of the resorts I saw! If I were only allowed to spend one day in Samoa, I'd definitely spend it at Taufua.

Room Tip: The open fales are located right on the water, whereas the closed fales are in a row behind. I staye...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank matkakucing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a fantastic family holiday staying a full 10 days with my wife and two daughters 20 & 16. It was reviews on this site that gave me the confidence to book the holiday and not hedge bets by staying at multiple locations on Upolu or Savaii. So I owe it to let people know how the holiday fitted in with what we expected. We got Samoan culture, we got staff who not only served us but made us laugh made us dance and made us feel as relaxed as if we would be in our own home. You know how service can be so formal and unnatural to the point you can't relax properly - well not at Taufua the Vibe is perfect.

Room Tip: On still nights even with rain the Fales were awesome with the sounds of waves lapping the shore lul...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a Peace Corps volunteer serving in Samoa. So to say I know about most of the resorts on the island is slightly understating it. I have been to Lalomanu many times and every. single. time. I will stay at Taufua. The surrounding resorts simply do not compare and here's why.

1. The customer service. The people working at Taufua are so helpful and friendly, they often will get to know you personally while you are there. This is perfect for when you are traveling alone or even when you are in a group. Love them all!

2. The beach. Yes, the beach is the same for all the resorts along that strip, but the LOCATION is the important one. There is a strong rip tide in front of the resort to the far left of Taufua as well as further down the beach to the right. Taufua is located perfectly to provide excellent snorkeling, relaxing floating, or a casual swim, all without having to worry about the rips.

3. The fales. If you don't know what a fale is, you will soon. A beach fale is basically a gazebo. Or in other words a room on stilts, with no walls. This is very typical Samoa. This is where I highly recommend spending the night. Taufua provides mattresses, pillows, sheets, and the ever important mosquito net! On clear nights, you can leave the tarps up on the sides and you get a wonderful ocean breeze all night long keeping you cool. And as an added bonus, the gorgeous ocean view which is literally surrounding you in the morning is surreal. On rainy nights, tarps are available to pull down around the hut to keep out the rain.

4. The other guests. This is one of my main reasons for liking Taufua. There are ALWAYS people at Taufua from all over the world, and they are the most interesting people you'll ever meet. They're not the people that will spend $600 a night for a Western style room in a contrived environment at a different resort. They are people who travel like you do and enjoy seeing Samoa for it's authentic side. You will always have people around to talk with here at Taufua. The other resorts down this strip of beach are ghost towns, with almost no guests, ever.

5. Small reason - the dogs are friendly! There are several resort dogs and none of them will bite and may even come and sit next to you looking for a scratch behind the ear. As a Peace Corps volunteer in Samoa who constantly has to worry about dogs biting her and even coming after her (yikes!), it's nice to see dogs that are different.

Room Tip: Go for the open air fales! Be brave and you'll be happier :)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Michelle P
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Taufua Beach Fales in Lalomanu for a total of 12 nights (out of a 14 night stay in Samoa). We had intentionally only planned to stay for the first 7 nights, but once we left, we immediately wanted to return- and we did!

Taufua Beach Fales has the complete package- STUNNING location (it really is the best beach in Samoa), COMFORTABLE and AFFORDABLE rooms, and EXCELLENT customer service. We stayed in both the open fales on the beach and also in the closed fales. Fale accommodation is a great way to feel as though you are a part of the culture and also a part of the Taufua family as a whole. All the fales on the beach come with a comfy bed or mattress, clean sheets and pillows, and a mosquito net above. It is relaxation at its best.

A full breakfast and dinner is provided in the accommodation costs, which is absolutely fantastic value. The guests eat in "samoan family style" all together at a long table and there is always more than enough to go around. The food includes a variety of cultural dishes and is always deliciously prepared. Some dishes include- mussels, bbq chicken, sushi, crayfish and lamb chops. My partner and I found that the meals were so substantial that we rarely needed to eat in the middle of the day! However, if you were hungry, the bar has a full lunch menu available including fish/chicken/beef burgers, fish and chips, crayfish etc.

This sort of setting for meals also serves as a great way to meet other travellers, families, and couples. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed talking to a multitude of people during our stay. We made many friends with fellow guests and also with the staff! Macy and Pola are fantastic hosts, friendly and always happy to help. Tai and Sili who are the owners, often come down and chat to the guests as well. We really felt like a part of the family while we were there, and that's what made our stay priceless and so enjoyable!

Every Wednesday and Saturday night, Taufua Beach Fales hosts a fia fia night for the guests to enjoy. There is a male and female dance group that perform dances and songs from not only Samoa but neighbouring islands as well. The highlight is the men's fire dance and the final farewell song! The fia fia nights are a MUST SEE for all ages and interests!
To top it all off, on Sundays a complimentary traditional samoan lunch is provided which includes taro, raw fish, a whole pig (!!!), chop suey and much much more!

Overall, I am so glad that we decided to come back and stay at Taufua for the remainder of our trip. It is great value for money all round and is perfect for those wanting to relax in beach paradise and yet still be immersed in the culture of the people. I am already planning to come back as soon as possible, and there is no where else I would stay. I highly recommend Taufua Beach Fales to anyone going to Samoa- whatever your reason for travelling, be sure to check in at Taufua!

Room Tip: Open fales are situated 5 or so meters from the water's edge, have a great breeze through the ni...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renee I
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Samoa is an amazing place and Lalomanu is one of its most beautiful beaches. I spent a week in Tafua and loved staying in the beach fales so close to the ocean. There are not many restaurants in the area but I enjoyed the meals provided by Tafua. The are served at an exact time so everyone gets to sit down together which is a nice opportunity to talk to other travellers. I hope to be back one day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Arrived at Taufua Beach fales around 11am and a staff member/local jump in our rental to show us where to the 2 Mountain View fales we booked were located.

Room still had people in it so we decided to visit family nearby and return later after lunch. Around 1pm we arrived back and room still wasn't cleaned or ready for us.

I wasn't impressed by young woman’s customer service tending the shop in the main dining area. Enquired about lunch and was told they didn't do lunch service and only options for lunch was plastic cup/ noodles and potato chips. She was not friendly, helpful or at all welcoming. I asked her if there was a kettle in our room to boil water and she was very blunt with me almost like I was inconveniencing her for asking questions and requesting to buy things.

By this time my husband, the kids and I were hungry and also bothered by the heat, we received no apology about our rooms not being ready and we didn't get any warm welcome and then after receiving crap customer service from this woman it really left a lasting impression.

On inspection of our room the basic bare amenities were there. Along with a working fridge, shower, and kettle and tea/coffee/milk sachets with a bowl of brown sugar full of ants.

In one of the rooms booked the air conditioning unit was leaking into a bucket and we put a towel in to mask the sounds of the loud dripping noises but that didn't work. Also it did not appear to be safe as it was leaking near an exposed electrical socket.

Dinner set up is awkward and uncomfortable. Guests sit together on 1 of 2 long tables in the dining area and plates of food are placed on the tables. No one is told to pass the food around.

My family sat in the middle of one table and we got potato salad and coleslaw placed in front of us and I'm not sure if this was done deliberately but all the meat dishes were placed at the ends of each table and all the food was pretty much gone even before people realized that they had to share and pass the plates along.

Surely doing a self-serve buffet dinner would be more effective, because when we were there it just seemed like there wasn't enough food at all. Didn't find that dinner was value for the money paid at all as we were still hungry after and the plates of food were not replenished or monitored by staff.

We retired back to our rooms and there was a power cut. We then had to wait 1 hour in the dark for the power to get turned back on. We had to go to the house to inform them, and were told it was on a pre-pay system. Which was an inconvenience and I was very annoyed at how long it took to get power back on. My 15 month old became really unsettled and upset at the heat and it was quite an uncomfortable night’s stay.

The view on the mountain is nice and picturesque but it's a shame to see workers throw rubbish over the cliff into the bushes. Having some picnic chairs or an area to enjoy the view (beware of wasps) or finishing the pool would make staying at the Mountain View Fales way more appealing.

The unwelcoming customer service, unsatisfactory dinner, the power cut and leaky air conditioning unit was enough for me to want to just pack up and leave the next day without having our complimentary breakfast. When we drove down to check out, one of the male staff members flagged us down and said that they had breakfast already prepared for us and insisted we eat. So we stayed to be served a sub-par breakfast of dry pancakes and fried egg. My husband had just made a cup of milo and was using a teaspoon to stir it, the same lady who was manning the shop day before approached me and asked for teaspoon and rudely snatched it. She didn't have the manners or common courtesy to ask if we were finished. Like seriously is there only 1 teaspoon for the entire breakfast service to be used?

I have no idea why this woman is even working in customer service or was hired to deal with people. Her attitude and unprofessionalism left a lasting impression on me and that's to never book again at Taufua and to never recommend it to friends and family.

I would not recommend Taufua for a family holiday spot and I am disappointed that the positive feedback i read on Trip Advisor didn't reflect in what my family experienced first hand. Don't waste your money here, this place is overrated and overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank serekus
Rangiora, New Zealand
Reviewed November 18, 2013

As we were visiting Samoa at low season we decided to get a rental car and trip around and just stop where each day took us. We spent a night at Taufua Fales and enjoyed it so much that we ended up going back to Fales for a further two nights at the end of our vacation.
I myself found the staff to be excellent, always willing to help and extremely friendly.
We stayed in the mountain view villas which had air conditioning. These were lovely and clean and our unit had a very comfortable king sized bed. The fresh flowers that Si'ilo put in our room were a lovely touch. At the moment you would really need your own vehicle to stay in the mountain rooms as they are the other side of the village, however there are plans to put a restaurant and pool on that site too.
Wednesdays and Saturdays they have a Fiafia night. These are great fun and very interactive - be prepared to get up and dance!
The food was fantastic and very plentiful. We found that after the huge breakfasts we didn't need lunch even though you can buy light lunches for a very reasonable price. As we were there on a Sunday we also got the complimentary island feast that is traditional for Samoans. A whole roasted suckling pig, freshly caught fish, taro, pineapple and many other island delicacies were served. All meals are set around the large table which gives guests time to get to know each other - we made several good friends that we hope to keep in touch with.
The water is incredibly clear and very warm and there are still plenty of beautiful fish to see if you snorkel. Unfortunately the tsunami wrecked the coral however we did notice some beautiful bright blue stags head coral regrowing.
If you expect resort facilities this is not the place for you, but if you want a totally relaxing holiday in perfect surroundings you cannot go past Taufua.
I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: I recommend the mountain rooms as they are very quiet and it was a bit cooler being higher up the mo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TerrieC1711
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalomanu
Litia Sini Beach Resort
#9 of 30 in Apia
Manusina Beach Fales
Manusina Beach Fales
#1 of 1 in Saleapaga

Been to Taufua Beach Fales? Share your experiences!