“Pretty good value - but service could be a bit better”
Review of Eden's Edge

Eden's Edge
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights. As some of the other reviews say, it's hard to find decent mid-range accommodation in Samoa. The room was fine, however it was not serviced once during our stay (ie beds not made, towels not changed etc). One night another guest was obviously leaving early to get a flight - and had a very loud conversation with the Night Manager for about 1 hour (2.30am)! - this kept the whole place awake. The pool was great (one of the reasons I booked here). I think they have a deal with Fridam rentals down the road (another reviewer mentioned this). I rented a car for $110 tala - a local friend told me later I should have only paid about 80 - so shop around for cars. The breakfast is VERY average... 2 pieces undercooked toast, small amount of scrambled eggs, and 3 pieces of rock hard papaya! Instant coffee etc. But it's OK. All in all the place is fine if you are not expecting too much.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We arrived and walked up without reservations but were able to get a room. The front desk clerk was friendly and checked us in promptly. The room was very big for the two of us and was air conditioned with a remote control, had a desk, television, and a private bathroom. The room we had had two queen beds. The swimming pool was small, but sufficient, and the setting was definitely lush. I even had a couple drinks and mingled with the locals one night. =) I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We stayed here for one night after staying with a local family because their house was a breeding ground for spiders, cockroaches and slugs so we were delighted to stay somewhere with air con that was clean, had its own bathroom with a pool and complimentary breakfast for a good price. Our room came with a double bed and a single bed so ideal for small family even. The food was great and drinks were reasonable prices. It's not 5 star but definitely up to western standards of accommodation with friendly staff. I would recommend this place for sure!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I thought this hotel was excellent value. The rooms are clean, with tv, air con etc. The people are friendly and accommodating. It's just a short walk to the centre of town (you need to hire a car in Samoa , so location isn't so important anyway).

After reading other reviews I was a little concerned about the bar and noise. Fortunately, that situation has been rectified. The owners now run the restaurant/bar and it poses no problem whatsoever.

This is an ideal base for exploring Samoa.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Arrived early (6am) and departed late (11pm) they charged a nominal fee for this which was far better than paying the full daily rate that other Apia hotels wanted. Taxi fare <5 Tala, but it's close enough to walk. Best food I had in Apia and cheaper than McDonalds (which must be the most expensive in the world).
I would happily stay there again and recommend it

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I stayed here with my 3 young adult kids for our first and last nights in Samoa. It's hard to find mid-range accommodation in Samoa but this is ok. It would probably only rate as a cheap motel in NZ to be fair but it does have a small pool. As we were arriving in the country very late and departing very early it kept the price down for the short nights. We had 2 twin ensuite rooms with breakfast for 180 tala each a night, all arranged easily over the net with manager, Andy. The rooms were pretty good by Samoan standards including the ensuites. Each had a little balcony, fridge, local tv, toilet and shower (be in early for hot water) and towels. Beds were comfy but the the pillows and sheets had a few black hairs and that musty undried smell. Not a bad idea to bring your own pillow as this is quite common. No mossie nets but could've done with them. There is a nice looking bar and restaurant on site and a good cheap takeaway bar 2 mins away that is very popular with the locals and open till 2am! Breakfast not great, papaya and soggy french toast, fruit drink, instant coffee, tea bags and uht milk. Plenty of free parking and Andy helped us rent a mid size car for 100 tala a day from Fridom Rentals just down the road. Town is a short 5 minute walk. This was the only booking I made in Samoa where my credit card details were not required for confirmation. However, Andy didn't tell me they charged an extra 5% to pay by card. On our last night the guy on the desk added 15% tax as well which I refused to pay as it wasn't charged the first time and knew nothing of it. Overall more pluses than minuses for Eden's Edge but I wouldn't spend more than a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Eden’s Edge was a nice hotel in Apia that we stayed at when we missed our ferry to Savaii. We got there late at night, and left early in the morning, so we didn’t get to see much, but the price was reasonable and it seemed quite central.

The first room that we were put in smelled like cat urine, but we were immediately given another room and it was immaculately clean. The rooms are kind of boxy and utilitarian with little character, but are so clean and cool (air-conditioning), and really you would only sleep in them, not hang out. I am very picky about cleanliness, so when I say it is clean, it is really clean.

There was a pool that the kids took a quick dip in, and said it was nice.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family