“A Little Paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Apia
California, USA
“A Little Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

This is a great spot if you enjoy living simply! You cannot beat the location--one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. It is wonderful to be able to stay right on the beach at such an affordable price. It is a step above camping but we thought that the bathrooms seemed clean and that the food was good. It is a great vacation away from all of life's little complications-- just beach, food, drink, sleep, swimming, snorkeling, and not much more! We felt rich sitting on our deck looking out on the amazing beach. If you don't expect luxury, you'll have an awesome time.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the prices of drinks
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RachLBC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
San Francisco, CA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

We had an all-too-brief stay at Litia Sini Beach Resort lasxt month and I wish that I could have stayed longer. The beach was pristine and the water was a clear aquamarine which came up to about 20 feet from our fale at high tide.

The accomodations are very basic with wooden latice walls, nice porch and a simple mattress on the floor with mosquito net above. Basically, one step above camping on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The meals were great and fellow travelers were friendly. Only downside was very basic shared bathrooms across the street but I can live with that.

The beach is somewhat remote and there isn't really anything to do other than laze around on the beach, read your book and make new friends. Personally, I think that is part of the charm as you are never faced with the question of "what should we do today?". Just relax, have a cold Vailima from the bar and enjoy the peace.

The only thing I would have done differently is stayed an extra few days.

• Liked — The beach location
  • Disliked — the shared bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
NZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed a litia sini resort for a few nights and were a little disapointed.

The setting is fantastic and cannot be faulted. The reef is just metres from the beach and is teaming with tropical fish. The beach is white sand and absolutely beautiful.

We were prepared for basic facilities, for example the bathroom across the road. Sadly, the toilets were less than clean and did not appear to be cleaned daily. The toilets ran out of paper on a number of occasions and often stopped working (? low water pressure).

Small touches such as soap dishes weren't present, so when there was soap it was a soggy mess on the side of the sink.

Fales weren't swept throughout our stay and we had to change the water in the buckets were you clean your feet. Because there isn't an outside tap, I had to do this in the showers - not as easy as it sounds!

We were given fresh bedding after a few days but had to change the bed ourselves.

Guests who had visited previously reported that prices have recently been hiked. And be warned about 'tourist tax'. For example bottled water is 8 tala, whilst it is just 3.50 in the shop down the road. Airport transfers were 220 tala for my husband and I, whilst you can get a taxi for 80-100 tala.

Our stay worked out as 150 NZD per night, which I felt was quite a lot for a very basic fale, a mattress on the floor, unclean toilets and 2 basic meals.

Food is nice but basic, often deep fried. Vegetarians beware! You can have steamed vegetables or omelette! Gets a bit waring after a week.

All these sound like small niggles but add up. As another guest described it, Litia Sini seems to be a victim of it's own success and seems to be finding it all a bit easy since receiving rave reviews in the Lonely Planet.

On a plus point, we could not fault the waitresses. They were kind and friendly and always greeted guests.

Some people felt that the service reflected the relaxed Samoan culture, but other resorts we stayed in were far better, more efficient and offered better service.

Our advice would be to visit Lalomanu beach as it is a stunner, but stay at Taufua Resort which is right next door. The fales don't have verandahs but the service is better.

Also try and contribute to the local ecomony by buying things from the local shops and visiting the village rather than lining the resort's pockets.

And definately book your own transfers - such a rip off!

• Liked — the beautiful location and snorkeling
  • Disliked — service and value for money
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank NzGemma
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

went to samoa for a 10 day stay in the end after staying in resorts like litia I didnt want to come back to new zealand, the stay was the best I have ever had I have stayed in 5 star hotel rooms and none compare to litia when it comes to rest and relaxation , the white flour like soft sands to the almost crisp clear waters filled with tropical fish from ankle deep and further didnt waste much time sleeping , and with young russian and US and canadian females a plenty lying around , next time I'm leaving the girlfriend behind hahahahahahaha but all in all im looking forward to going back in June and to anyone who hasnt been be ready to unwind .....truly. contact me if your going over in late June nz mobile[--]

• Liked — just the simplicity and location
  • Disliked — nothing it was a true getaway
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Wellington, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2007

Having returned to NZ a week ago from my first Samoan vacation, I still find my mind wandering to my good fortune in having found a slice of paradise!

The trip to Samoa was planned as an inexpensive family holiday for my friend, her teenaged daughter and my 2 children (one of whom is also a teen, the otehr an 11 year old boy).

The accommodation is basic, but clean. The toilets, as previews reviews have pointed out, are but short steps across the main drag. I will point out at this juncture that the toilets/showers on the right (as you are facing the facilities) have better water pressure than the showers on the left.

The staff are marvellous! I liked the small touch of being called to breakfast and dinner everyday as though our presence at these times was a prime requirement.
With regard to mealtimes, the food was of good, home-cooked quality - if a little on the carb-heavy side. My one disappointment though was not seeing more Samoan cuisine on the buffet table. I think the resort can take more risks in that regard.

For adults, the resort was the picture of perfection. My friend and I ended our day sitting on the wee deck of our fale, knocking back our vodka tonics before being called in for dinner.

The kids were just as delighted with the resort as we (the adults) were. There was certainly enough stuff for kids to do without them becoming too bored. For kids who had no cellphones, no t.v., no radio, no hair straighteners, hate reading, and have a smart answer for everything, they are more than keen to return next year.

The snorkelling was good. As one who's never really snorkelled before, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to do. Looking at the sea life thru the lens of the face mask is truly a "National Geographic" kaleidoscope.

Litia Sini Beach Resort exceeded my expectations. I shall be back!

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank CoyotezDream
Sparks, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

We spent 4 nights at Litia Sini and enjoyed our stay. The accomodations were exactly what we expected: an enclosed fale, porch with table and chairs, and a double foam mattress on the floor. The restroom/showers were across the street which really wasn't much of an issue. The bigger issue was water pressure. The showers were a mere "trickle".

But the property is well run and the location is awesome. Best beach in Samoa! The food was quite good and you can't beat the price.

Our fale was lockable from the outside and included a ceiling fan and light. The property also had numerous security guards that really made us feel safe. (Although we found Samoa to be really safe anyway)

The staff was awesome! One night the power went out and it was raining so the staff took the time to walk us to the bathroom and dinner under their umbrella. They also made us some water bottle candles for our porch.

Our last night was a Saturday which included a very nice Fia Fia show. The dinner consisted of roasted pig and the show was performed by some of the village locals. Very entertaining and informative!

The snorkeling was also very good. The coral is very shallow but we saw a good variety of fish.

You can see our entire trip report on our sunnytripreports web site.

• Liked — Beach Location
  • Disliked — Low Water Pressure in Showers
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Litia Sini for the first half of our 2 week holiday then 'upgraded' to the Aggie Grey Lagoon and Spa for the second part. In hindsight, we enjoyed both experiences. And felt about a week at each was just perfect.

Be prepared for the Litia Sini. "Like camping on the beach" is the best way to describe it. I was impressed that we had a light bulb in our fale. My husband, despite my warnings, was a bit horrified to begin with. But then happily settled in.

We love snorkeling and the crystal clear water and loads of fish did not disappoint. We even saw a sea turtle. Beware the very strong rip currents, they could easily drag you out to sea.

The breakfast and dinner inclusive package is the only way to go. The food is good, but you have to 'get in fast'. Picky eaters might have a problem. You can have a little bit of everything, but you won't necessarily get more of what you want. We were happy to get in line as soon as the food was put out and never went away hungry.

I came armed with a mosquito attack strategy but didn't actually use it too much. The nets over the beds work just fine. The views from the front-line fales are excellent. We would have been disappointed if we were in the second row back.

Perhaps the best part of Litia Sini is the people who tend to go there... intrepid travellers, surfie types, down to earth people, some with small children (mostly very well behaved). If you make an effort you wind up being part of the welcoming committee and meet some really lovely people. We didn't meet anyone at Aggie Grey's (very large and impersonal). That being said we certainly appreciated the private toilets and air conditioning during our second week. The 'across the road' toilets at Litia Sini are fine, but a bit of a mad rush sometimes with a dodgey tummy in the middle of the night trying to find the key.

Overall, highly recommended, but come prepared for a 'camping type' holiday and leave your makeup, high heels and nice clothes at home.

• Liked — stunning beach, friendly guests, value for money
  • Disliked — horrible pillows, shared bathrooms, not much to do
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kiwi&yank
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Aga Reef Resort
Sinalei Reef Resort & Spa
Sa'Moana Resort
Sa'Moana Resort
#11 of 31 in Apia

Been to Litia Sini Beach Resort? Share your experiences!