“budget rooms,-very budget...”

Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Kawerau, New Zealand
“budget rooms,-very budget...”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

as a single traveller I enjoy the affordable room rates in samoa and after two weeks on Savaii having enjoyed my own room for around 70wst at Lauiula fales and the Savaiian Hotel I admit I was spoilt but my first experience of the budget rooms at Hotel Elisa were very depressing.
I like a pool and a kitchen so thought 60wst was reasonable.
Well the room was small and lacking in ventilation, the bathrooms were grotty and kitchen very basic- ok it did have a microwave and fridge and sink.
the fire exit from the lounge area was padlocked-bit worrying in case of fire
The pool wasnt that nice and was locked most of the day, so i had to find a way through the staff area to use it.
The staff werent that helpful-not sure if that was cos I was in the cheap seats or maybe the receptionist enjoyed talking to males more?
I know its hard to find somewhere affordable with a pool in Apia but a bit of paint, maintenance and friendliness would help a lot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank amysmum578

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Overall very nice :) I arrived Sunday afternoon and reception was busy and was greeted with a smile. I leaned on the reception desk sorting through my bag to find my reservation email and the top of the desk was yuck and sticky! Ewww! I had another two mates who checked in there 2 days before me and that was the first thing she mentioned too! It stayed that way the whole time I was there! Like old sticky tape was on it for a long time and just removed leaving it sticky! Anyway, sea view room is definitely spacious. Clean and modern. However on rainy days my deck floods as the deck slopes down a bit towards my door, rather than run off the deck! So it rains and not the whole deck gets wet so you can still sit there and look out to the view which is more Amanaki Hotel view than sea view, if you dont mind water up to your ankles. Then walking back in and leaving wet patches on the tiled floors. Which is cleaned daily anyway. Dangerous if you slip though! Shower pressure weak and comes out unevenly. I'm quite a small person but the shower made me feel like a big person! Small triangle shower. If you are size 18+ then you need to shower with the door open for when you bend over! Its not the person, its the shower space. So my bigger friends always had to mop down the floors with the one floor mat we had. I'm a size 14 female so I'm average size...well I think thats average hahaha! I should still at least fit in the shower comfortably. Was a challenge shaving legs! Beds are comfy, clean and smell clean too! Tv is staticy so not good if you have bad eyes already! We only got 2 very bad channels. To make channel 2 clear, you just move the table around that the tv is sitting on. Still get all the white spots though! Girls arrived and fridge wasnt on so they said they turned it on so if we returned with food at least it had started to cool. The pool was nice and private and the setting is friendly. The room seems sound proof to me especially when I open the deck door and then hear the music instantly from Amanaki Hotel across the road. Shower mat changed daily too which I liked cause ours always got dirty from walking in from the flooding deck dirtying our feet. Complimentary tropical breakfast was nice. 2 weetbix, 2 toast with spreads, coffee/tea, local fruits. You can eat inside Hotel Elisas dining area or out on their deck which has road/ocean view. No matter what time of the day / night the doorman is there to welcome you. There was always someone at front desk and they were helpful and smiley. I would actually stay there again though. Wouldnt do my laundry there though, $3 each per under garment, $5-6 for 1 top etc We did our laundry at the local laundromat. Good to meet others and share holiday ideas :) Checking out took nearly an hour to process as they did not know how to work credit card payment processing. So had to call someone and get talked through it! Hellooooo our planes waiting! They should know we were checking out that morning as they did have our flight details! Room comes with queen bed and single bed. I left that for my friends and I used the couch as it was very very comfy and I'm also the smallest of my friends so was fair to give them the beds :) Was definitely a nice home away from home though after a good night out! HOWEVER! The main fuel supplier for the whole of Samoa is located on the same street as sea view room side. So you hear trucks coming and going all hours of the day! They drive past Ocean view then sea view! Loud when your on the deck. Not too bad from the rooms with deck door closed! From Spain :)

Room Tip: Sea view is cheaper than ocean view and you get a similar view anyway. We actually preferred the sea...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ekulk16
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Maybe there are two Hotel Elisa: the real hotel and what they call the "budget area".
I arrived on a late night flight and wasn't sure there would be someone at the reception at 1am. Surprise, surprise, I was checked in and had no trouble finding a budget room.
I was quite impressed on the first day, and wanted to stay here, as the location was excellent (much better than Tatiana at Fugalei, where I went the next day), but they seemed to be quite popular. Full for the other 2 days of my stay in Apia.
I then came to Apia one last day, before leaving Samoa, and managed to find a budget room for me here again.
Internet was OK, it's with the local wifi provider. Expensive, but the only other option is one of the 3G providers, that charge an exorbitance. If you want to use your laptop, you have to take it, or else go to the much chaper cyber cafes in town.
The bathroom and bedroom which at first seemed ok, turned out to be totally infested with cockroaches. I had some real fun hunting all sizes of them.
The budget room doesn't include breakfast, as opposed to Tatiana Motel. And the noise is the same, ie. dogs barking at 5 am. Take your earplugs.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank alexthecarioca

Travelers are raving about these Apia hotels

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here with some friends and family in the budget side recommended by a friend, It provided a kitchen and shared bathrooms. The rooms were spacious, In the kitchen there was a microwave, stove, fridge and a few cutlery and cups but no bowls.. One time my nephew had to eat his breakfast in a cup because they did not provide bowls?? We left our drinks in the fridge with our names on it and everytime we'd come back to drink it our drinks had already been opened and drunk, After complaining to management they sort of made a joke out of it and advised not to leave our drinks or food in the fridge anymore! (what was the point in having a fridge in there) The toilet was unsteady and it felt like it was going to break, The shower curtains were disguisting, there were huge roaches in the rooms and in the hallways. Our beddings were changed just ONCE during our stay, the girls at reception were not very approachable and kept bugging us for a deposit in the middle of our stay there which was odd considering we were booked to stay the whole week and usually pay for the whole stay once we check out.. Not pleasant at all, maybe management could relook at how they run things.. The only highlight was the swimming pool, Bar and resturant too dare did not even walk into it, a very memorable stay - sad to say not a very good one.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Fungz
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the beginning of our Samoan holiday, and found it to be a good base for checking out Apia and Upolu at a great price. The budget rooms are large enough, with a shared kitchen, lounge, and bathroom. The "kitchen" has a microwave, fridge, basic cutlery plates and cups, but no bowls or containers to make food in. You walk thru the flash hotel into a dark, rough hallway past staff quarters, then into the budget accommodation area. The shared bathrooms weren't very clean, particularly the shower floor. Reception desk staff could barely raise a smile, but the doormen and other staff were very helpful, smiley and friendly. The pool was a welcome respite from the heat of the day, and seemed to be clean/well maintained. Some of these points may sound less than ideal, BUT... at $60WST ($35NZD) per night total for 2 adults and an infant, we think it provides an excellent option for the cheaper traveller.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Delhi
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have stayed in the hotel for the second time and may stay there each time I go.
The stay is very comfortable with big rooms and good internet speed.

However, the restaurant is very expensive and dull. What makes the next hotel Amanaki more popular is the open air restaurant and the swimming pool. The Elisa management should think about it.

Also, the restaurant has a good number of channels but the room TVs have almost nil.
Hope to see some improvement next time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
New Zealand
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed 3 nights in the old wooden wing of this hotel for only $70ST ($42nzd) for 2 people in a spacious room with a ceiling fan, with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities.

Great value for money, one of the cheapest places we stayed in Apia. While it was basic, the room very clean, and guests could use the clean newish unheated pool.

Wireless is available throughout the hotel (at an extra cost, $40ST for 5 hours), or could use their computer suite next to reception.

Close to the Flea markets, I would not hesitate in staying here again.

Room Tip: There are new Hotel rooms at the front of the building, but are expensive. For best value, ask for...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple