“You get what you pay for.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bertie's B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Apia
Bertie's B&B
Ranked #16 of 20 Apia B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“You get what you pay for.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed at Berties for a few days at the start of our holiday because we wanted something cheap. The room we stayed in had a double bed and a double bunk with a single. The mattresses on all beds were quite thin and uncomfortable. When the kids got off the beds from the nights sleep they had spring marks imprinted on their backs.At night when we wanted to open windows for fresh air we couldn't because of the holes in the fly screens on the windows. The hosts were lovely, breakfast was great. They did their best to accommodate us, but the accommodation itself needs upgrading.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

I arrived early hours in the morning from Australia After & was greeted by a very friendly owner Mark waiting for me to transfer me to Berties, Mark informed me his wife Marianna was away in England so I wouldn't see her this visit. Mark made me extremly welcome and while having a few yarns we both swapped stories being ex-naval men. I Retired to my room in the early hours of the morning and first impressions I felt that the room appeared rather dated & especially the bathroom with no mirror on the wall [differcult to shave due to a very small sink], the photos on the internet website didn't really reflect what the place really looked like with it's dated image. Mark admitted that the original photos on the website were taken when they first opened the business & have never been updated! The B/B was approx 5 miles from the centre of Apia & please make sure you have a map or the address because many Taxi drivers didn't know the way or at least try & make out they don't just to make more money, I always paid 15 Tala, or if you prefer catch the local bus just up the road from Berties & the fare is approx 80c, and the bus trip will take about 30-40min's, a Taxi Stand about a 10 min's walk from Berties. There is nothing worth seeing close to Berties. Eat at Aggies Grey Hotel in town best food for sure. Don't eat in the small foods shops in town awful meals food not up to standard trust me you will send it back to cook. Book all tours through Aggie Greys Hotel. Friendly staff but watch out for con artists all through somoa and especially in town Apia. They approach you in a friendly way and try to extract money off you with some pretty tall stories on why they need it. All in all I would stay at Aggie Greys Hotel next time you are in town with all your transport needs cheaply taken care of. O certainly enjoyed the experience at Bertie's but to far out for a short visit. Lastly you get what you pay for. You pay through the nose at Hotels and especially resorts so consider that when you are budgeting for a visit. Cheers to my friends at Berties B&B

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ErrolPerth_Australia
Rockdale, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

After my late arrival from Fiji & greeted by a very freindly owner Marianna waiting for me to transfer me to Berties, I arrived very late at night & chatted with Marianna, she made me extremly welcome with her freindly personality. Retired to my room in the early hours of the morning, on first impressions I felt that the room appeared rather dated & especially the bathroom with no mirror on the wall [differcult to shave due to a very small sink], the photos on the internet website didn't really reflect what the place really looked like with it's dated image, the owner admitted that the original photos on the website were taken when she first opened the business approx 7 yrs ago & have never been updated! The B/B was approx 5 miles from the centre of Apia & please make sure you have a map or the address because many Taxi drivers didn't know the way or at least try & make out they don't just to make more money, I always paid 15 Tala, or if you prefer catch the local bus just up the road from Berties & the fare is approx 80c, and the bus trip will take about 30-40min's, a Taxi Stand about a 10 min's walk from Berties. There is nothing worth seeing close to Berties & if you wish to visit the night clubs or any good food places your'll have to go into town. Marianna made a very good b/fast in the mornings with toast eggs & baked beans & fruit with great english tea or coffee. My only negative comment were that I found it quite differcult to sleep, firstly the double bed was to short for me & dogs barking on many occassions during the night & roosters with their ealy sounds! I feel that the B&B could do with a good clean up & a fresh coat of paint to brighten up the place, the walls between the guest rooms are thin & I could hear all the conversations with my noisy neighbours i.e banging doors & in & out of their room for a smoke. Overall I would stay at Berties again when I'm next in Samoa due to the great personality from the owner, it's like meeting an old friend on my arrival with a very warm welcome. The owner lived in the UK for many years & you can talk for hours without the lauguage being a problem. There appeared to be a small mix up with my arrival time through the website company I had booked with & some confusion with the transfer fee [ I paid 30- Tala each way] & the owner charges extra. My conclusion is that i had a good time mostly exploring Apia & around the whole Island, therefore I was never there very much during the day & if you decide to arrange a Taxi Driver to take you around the Island for the day make sure you agree on a price & I paid between 100-150 Tala from 9am to 5pm depending which area of the Island you wish to explore, also I always paid for the drivers lunch. In between my stay at Berties I left for 4 nights to visit American Samoa & then returned to Berties, again Marieanna arranged my transfers in both directions without any fuss....... I wish Marieanna all the very best in the future & will recommend my friends to stay at Berties when they visit Samoa.... Paying by c/card for my stay without any problems.

Room Tip: Pay 4 one night before deciding 2 stay longer!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephen N
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

The owner was very nice and friendly, the free breakfast was a little better than average. The bathrooms were very dirty and in disrepair. The toilet seat was falling off of the toilet. The toilet looked liked it had never been cleaned. There were cockroach's on the floor in the bathroom and our room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RHWell

Travelers are raving about these Apia hotels

LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

I arranged for airport pickup and spent my first night in Samoa at Berties. The pick up went very smoothly and the stay with pickup was a good deal. The family was very friendly and helpful but given the location without a car I think that the first night stay is all that makes sense. Getting a bus into Apia was very easy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank fehlow
Hamburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Great staff in terms of friendliness, helpfulness, service. Great source of information. Their airport pick-up and room deal seems really good value (I didn't use it as a had a car).
Nice big rooms with aircon (a godsend for the first night in that climate or if you picked up some illness). As I read a complaint about the soft mattress I like to comment on this: my mattress seemed too soft too but it turned out it was two mattresses on top on each other - all I had to do is take one of them away and it was fine.

You can use the guest kitchen & fridge; tea and coffee are available without charge all day. There is a big library / book exchange on the front porch. Breakfast (set) is fantastic.

The only downside: the location in an outskirt of Apia with no stores or restaurants nearby. Unless you have a rental car, you’ll need to get familiar with the bus system (where the Bertie’s team will help) to get around.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank MarkHamburg
plymouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

was a brilliant place to stay - they were so helpful and the bus stops just down the road
One tip - get them to write down the address of the B&B - as after dark the bus's stop running and we found the Taxi's had no clue of where it was - even though we know the route to get there
so what there is no TV - and yes you can hear their TV when sitting on porch - but we didn't sit there that long - we were out until it got dark and the went to bed!
wonderful breakfast, would definitely stay here again !

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple