“Lunch with a View” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hillside Cafe - CLOSED

Hillside Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, Mediterranean, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Lunch with a View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Hillside Café was recommended to us by our hotel and did not disappoint! We had a delightfully casual lunch of fresh and delicious Bruschetta (accompanied by a Vailima beer of course)

Lunch was prepared by Christophe, the owner, who also passed on some of his comprehensive knowledgeable about local flora and fauna - we spotted a Tropic Bird from the Hillside deck!

Well worth the 10 minute drive up Cross Island Road to have such a delightful lunch on a cool and breezy deck with spectacular views!

Visited April 2014

New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Slow Food Handmade at its Epic Best! Surrounded by hibiscus and simplicity.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

By great good fortune, our expat mates in Apia took us before we left Samoa to the Hillside Cafe. It is tiny, and run by a kind and lovely man with a soft germanic accent, humble stooped appearance and Disney Magic with food. The notoriously fussy child of our georgeous friends had sung the praises of his gnocci (?sp) for days, and when the plates arrived the hubbub was subdued within seconds, as my twins and said gnocci avid fan devoured all but the napkins. The remainder of our dishes are possibly the best Ive ever ever had, and I do not routinely gush, online or off. So, if you have the chance to experience, slow food, handmade, in Samoa, take a simple seat at his one or two tables - that is all he has. Ring first +685 724 9452, email HillsideCafeWS@aol.com, Lamosa Road Tiapapata along the cross island road, Upolu Samoa. Take with you a book (although his shelves are groaning with tempting tidbits) and leave with some original Cocoa Samoa Beans that my girlfriends, nurses, receptionists, lover and children have stolen off me already....bought to Samoa by Robert Louis Stephensons wife Fanny, and rendered to die for by this genuine foodie. GO!

• Visited April 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“A must restuarant in Samoa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

The food is absolutely delicious, the view is spectacular and the boys working there are lovely. Definitely going back!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Auckland
“I LOVED IT !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I found my visit here excellent and the food was the best I had ever tasted in a very long time. Christopher is not only an excellent chef but an excellent host as well, he was tremendously friendly with us ! I love the place its atmosphere on the hill side its fantastic ! Its nice and cool up there a great place to get away for an hour or two from the heat of Apia. The food, it indescribably good there are no words I can think of that describes what I tasted, not only was the pasta which I had made from scratch but the bread and bruschetta were too made there at Hillside ! Amazing ! I can't wait to return ! 1000000/100 !!! LOVED IT !!

• Visited January 2014
Samoa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Lunch Spot! Plus that chocolate cake...Yum!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We went to the hillside cafe yesterday afternoon for a late lunch around 3pm and hung out there for almost 2 hours, starting with apps then moving onto lunch (pasta, gnocchi both amazing) and then finished off the whole thing with some delish chocolate cake that was SO good we had to take some home with us, too!! All around--great place to eat & linger over a lovely meal in Samoa. We had a look at the breakfast menu, too & already have plans to head in for breakfast as soon as we can!! Lovely location, especially if you are staying in Apia, nice to get up out of town & "away" on the hill overlooking town & the forest. Lovely spot all around! Thank You!!

• Visited November 2013