“Stocking up on Yachty Supplies”
Review of Old Apia Market

Old Apia Market
Ranked #9 of 40 things to do in Apia
More attraction details
Owner description: If you’re willing to fight the crowds at this flea market in a shed, you may find some interesting Samoan handicrafts or mats, and you can even watch works-in-progress.
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I love browsing fresh local markets. The range of NEW fruits and veggies that I have never seen before. The front section has great cooked local food and even some pies! Sit, eat, watch and relax! We stcoked up on fresh food for our next leg of the sailing trip. Got a taxi back to the Apia Marina for 50c(AU). If you like fish you should also visit the local Apia Fish Market. Buy a bottle of Coke, it comes in only one size, HUGE!

2  Thank HumpbackBrewing

Reviewed February 11, 2012

We went earlier during the day as it is much cooler and the market can be a sauna during those cloudless Samoa days. This is mainly for budget shopping, much of the products being the same from stall to stall. Great for a stopover and experience. A minus were the child sellers who probably should have been in school at the time as charming as they were.

2  Thank Amanda Y
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Was in Apia for a couple weeks on business. Wanted to take gifts home and was advised by my handlers to give the market a look. Situated right down town across from one of the restaurants we had tried the Bistro.

The Market is a maze of little shops and vendors, I made the effort to go into the interior to see if any treasures could be had. It was a sunny day and the difference between the interior of the market and the air conditioned room I had been working in was very pronounced. I imagine it didn't help that I was wearing long pants and button up shirt so if you're going here best to dress minimal as it gets quite hot and steamy.
There are interesting crafts to be found, but, as someone else mentioned before on this forum, a lot of the vendors were carrying the exact same T-shirts and products. It wasn't too busy on the day I went, I struck up a conversation with a nice fellow by the name of See-ony I think and he was kind of enough to tell me the story of each of the pieces of wood carvings he was selling. He seems one of the better vendors (located towards the far end) as the quality in products does tend to vary considerably. I was after some fine paintings and he recommended Janets which is next to McDonald's which I went to see the following day and was grateful for his advice as I did most of my shopping there.

Overall it was a fun experience to walk through the market and take in a slice of Samoan life. I didn't do much shopping here as I left it to my last couple of days and found Janets however I do recommend walking through the market just for the experience. The locals are great and whilst haggling is accepted they won't bother you too much and make things uncomfortable.

6  Thank Greyson L
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Excellent vareity of handmade crafts direct from the maker - well priced

Reviewed October 2, 2011

My partner and I literally just got back from our 9 day stay in Samoa. We visited the markets while we were there and were surprised at how affordable all the goods were!!

We both managed to buy souveniers for all our friends. Some fans, a lavalava, a few pairs of earrings and a wooden axe all for well under 200 tala. It's hot, so be prepared to sweat it out - literally. The vendors are all polite, not like the ones you see in Camden Markets in London. If you don't want to be pestered, they'll leave you to it, but they're so friendly you can't help but buy something from them.

If you're female, I wouldn't necessarily advise going on your own as it can be intimidating with so many males around. But it's well worth the visit.

3  Thank Dre_Hughesy

Been to Old Apia Market? Share your experiences!