“We will be back!”
Review of Orator Hotel

Orator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Apia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I had just had our wedding about a week ago and we all had an excellent time. We had a number of people book villas at the Orator, all of whom had a fantastic time. Some are coming back with their own families and some decided to stay a little bit longer.
We would like to thank Jerry, Charlotte and the friendly Orator staff for making us feel very welcome, they were very flexible and did everything to make our group's stay very enjoyable. Villas were very clean and spacious, with double beds including a spare bed, large shower and air conditioning. We even had complimentary buffet breakfast every morning!
The photos on the website, doesn't do the hotel any justice, as it looks much more beautiful once we got there. Very beautiful lobby at the entrance, leading to the luscious gardens. But our favourite part was the 3 layer pool, where everyone spent endless hours swimming, drinking cocktails and enjoying the local beer. The Orator did an awesome job with our wedding, the ceremony and reception set up was just stunning! so much better then we expected. The buffet lunch was super filling. I would like to thank Jerry for organising our marriage license at the last minute, after the ministry of justice took us for a run around, we were happy to finally have it sorted before the big day, so thank you Jerry! Everyone that came to celebrate our day, and a fantastic time. The service by the staff was always done with a smile and it was noticed by everyone who attended. So a big congrats needs to go to Jerry and Charlotte....keep it up. A big thank you to all the staff there who made our stay so enjoyable, esp Bama & Junior whom some of our group got to know very well. We all miss the Orator people and its hospitality, and we will go away with very fond memories. Next time were in Samoa, we will definitely be staying at the Orator.

Room Tip: Cant go wrong with the pool side villa, but otherwise, all rooms are just as great!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 6, 2013

thank you to charlotte and jerry for your wonderful place and hospitality,wonderful staff a nice chilled and vibrant hotel that my family and i can relax and enjoy peace and quite besides my uncles loud laugh lol.we will be back again and thank you for everything.we miss it already and miss your staff especially our son misses them too being ulavale haha.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marciano I
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We found the Samoan people very friendly and helpful. The weather rather hot and humid. Hotel prices reasonable, although restaurant menu was very limited. Hotel staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. Villa's comfortable and the daily supply of bottled water appreciated. Was not overly keen on the bathroom layout, more like entering into a Dungeon rather than a bathroom, but was adequate for personal needs. The hinges on the door to it were excessively noisey.

Room Tip: Villa's near pool I would think would be noisey when the hotel is busy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Pros: Great Breakfast, Privacy of rooms/location from the locals, Owners are very friendly, Great Pool, Quiet when not many rooms are booked, fish and chips.

Cons: No Information Booklet in our room - incurred unexpected surcharges (always check for this), laundry is charged per item and not per load (staff do this), could be tidied up a bit more around some areas as it looks shabby, stray dogs. It can be hard to find as there are no big signs informing people that is where the Orator is.

In terms of Samoan standards this hotel was exceptional. The entrance where the reception is amazing, nice and airy. The pool was magnificent and we enjoyed it on hot days. Even when it rained we still managed to have a swim. I did think that the photos did over exaggerate the quality of the hotel. The bit where the villa's are behind the pool it seemed a bit dreary and messy. There are stray dogs that roam around and sleep on the porch...just be aware if you have allergies. I believe the staff didn't do enough to get rid of these stray dogs.

I can't thank Jerry and Charlotte enough for their hospitality. They were very accommodating.

We had 4 people sleep in one villa. The wardrobe in our villa had no pole for us to hang clothes on, this was a let down because we were there for a wedding and had suits & dresses to hang up. We had to look for a places to hang clothes. The table that the TV was on was a bit shabby and looked like it could break. I loved the bathroom, if you wet the floor it didn't matter as it dried up pretty quickly. The only thing I didn't like about it was the swinging door to get into the bathroom. It just lacked privacy when you are in the bathroom.

What I loved though was the breakfast in the mornings. My family enjoyed these very much and look forward to them. The pancakes were the best. We always ate these hungrily. What I do recommend is for them to clean their glasses as they always had finger smudges on them. Just didn't look hygenic. Our cleaning lady for our room was very friendly and always helped us when we needed something in our room.

We did have issues, please do check the price for laundry and ensure you have a price list or information booklet in your room as we did not have this in ours. We ended up having a phenomenal bill at the end of our stay for our laundry, as we did not check how much it would've cost. They charge per item and not per load.

My extended family booked out many of the rooms as we were there for a wedding so this added to the great experience. There were some Kiwi guys there who were working in Samoa. They were very friendly. There was also a tattooing session going on, it was a hassle always having to pass them when we needed to go to our room. They just seemed a bit shady.

We were treated to a Fiafia night which was great. This venue always has a function or event booked so be aware about that if you are wanting something more relaxing with less people, this might not be the place. There were two weddings and a children's birthday party during our 5 night stay. The quality of food is great and they have a pool table in the foyer area if you have some down time.

I would recommend this place for others to stay as it is nice! I will also ensure they know all the hidden costs though. I would stay again :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank prinzess26
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The owners Jerry and his wife are very friendly and also everyone of the staff except 1 female,
What attracted us to the hotel is the fact that we get free bottles of water daily is a bonus and unlimited use of the pool is great. The whole hotel from the lobby to the rooms are all beautiful
My issues were
*They had to re-calculate my invoice 3x's and lucky i had my statement from booking.com, otherwise they would have over charged me $300.00 aud -
*They also promise water everyday, out of the 5days we stayed there only 2days water was delivered and when i did ask at reception, i never did receive it & instead i got attitude
*The owners were lovely and a few of the staff, especially around the restaurant & the maintenance men around the resort, but there is a particular samoan girl who is around 30yo, a bit darker then the rest and always has all her hair tied back, she needs to learn how to smile and know what customer service is, she really let the hotel review down and if my husband wasn't with me, i would have slapped her frown to a smile, she really has disgusting customer service & needs to be cleaning the pool & the pool cleaner or house keeper should be at the front desk
* We booked the Poolside villa which was beautiful, however fridge didn't work at all, which was not fair, because we have a small child who needs milk, and we couldn't store any milk in the fridge, and also out of the 5 days there only 2days did our room get serviced, and when it did, the double bed was made, but the single bed, was never made. In the days our room wasn't made, i asked for extra clean towels, and during check-out they charged me for it

We left the Orator Hotel on purpose after they had issues with fridge in our room not working and very very poor service at reception desk. That was the only let down, fridge not working, rooms not maintained daily, no water unless i chased for it and staff that work at reception that really need to be out the back doing gardening or cleaning the toilets if they don't know how to treat guests. Apart from that the whole hotel is beautiful, only a few little issues and it would be perfect

Room Tip: Make sure you get what is promised -Waters daily, Rooms cleaned daily and Triple check your invoices
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank L-Aussydney
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Definitely my best stay in Samoa, the staff are amazing , so helpful especially the owners Charlotte and Jerry . Nothing was too much trouble, they went out of their way to make sure our stay was a memorable one. The gardens are beautiful and the swimming pool with the deck chairs were just perfect. Highly recommend the "tuna sashimi" from the restaurant. Very fresh and good value for money. We stayed in a garden villa, the room was very spacious, flat screen TV and the bathroom is huge. I would recommend this resort for families, couples , group of friends especially for events such as weddings. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HAZEL H
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at Orator with family and friends for my cousin's wedding which was wonderful! The Orator's owners, Charlotte and Jerry, as well as their lovely staff were always making sure our whole group was happy and taken care of and worked beyond overtime to ensure the big day was a success.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable, the bed was incredible! The pool area on 3 levels is beautiful and you get a feeling of openness and airyness throughout the property.
The Kamikaze cocktail at the Bar is awesome!

Once again, the staff made us so welcome and showed us the Samoan spirit with humour and happiness. This is the place to go if you are looking for a laid back base close to Apia that offers all the modern amenities.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms facing the pool!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Aga Reef Resort
Aga Reef Resort
#3 of 29 in Apia
Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort

Been to Orator Hotel? Share your experiences!