“best swimming spot in Apia”

Palolo Deep Marine Reserve
Ranked #6 of 37 things to do in Apia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was a real nice spot tucked away by Apias main marina. It's a small walk from town center. It's cheap to enter but you Should take your own flippers and snorkel. Reef shoes are a must if you don't have flippers. The water is so clear

2  Thank AlanaFrankovich
There are newer reviews for Palolo Deep Marine Reserve

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is some wonderful snorkeling, need to be shown the stick marking where the snorkeling area starts, have to walk out a little way over shallow water and coral to reach it, so wear coral shoes. But worth it. The beach is not a swimming beach and facilities pretty primitive.

2  Thank C T
Reviewed February 20, 2013

What a wonderful thing to be able to do. Being from cold water NZ no worries about wet suit and that hassle. Live coral reef so close to shore. The shame was I arrived about 45 mins before high tide, checked I could hire gear before going and yes everything I needed. Got there no snorkel and fins my size (10). found a dirty old snorkel and went for it. After about 20 mins and only covering about 2/3 of the 90 to 100m found it too hard because of current and I am a competent swimmer. Turned around. Never got to see the hole. If you go here take your own gear. It would be well worth the hassle to get it to Samoa. Typical of Samoa. The people of Samoa are wondedrful but oh, they let themselves down so often. I will go back another day if I return to Samoa with my own gear. Very basic toilets etc, but what do you need?

1  Thank Ken H
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We loved this place. It was cheep and beautiful However it would have been good if they had cleaner and more snorkels. You need to bring your own flippers. This was the best snorkelling in Apia. My 14 year old son absolutely loved it.

2  Thank Bernadette C
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Get the high tide and you are away. It was quite a way out and if the tide is low, it is not the easiest. Once out there it is amazing. The coral and fish varieties are fabulous. We were the only ones out there so had the whole reserve to ourselves to explore. We even saw a large turtle and my wife was mesmerised by it. It was so majestic in the water and did not seem to mind having my wife swimming with it.
A MUST DO in Samoa. You will not be disappointed.