“Great tour guides!”
Review of Polynesian Xplorer

Polynesian Xplorer
Ranked #4 of 17 Tours in Apia
More attraction details
Owner description: Polynesian Xplorer run a range of "Experiential Tours" for Samoa, among other holiday services. We are based in Apia township provide tour experiences for Upolu, Savaii, Manono & Namu'a Islands. If you are looking to experience the real Samoa - or need help with your Samoa holiday booking, you've come to the right place!
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was apart of the WGC geo trip and i thought the polynesian xplorer staff were AMAAAAZING! Fiona was our main tour guide and we were greeted with lei's and a school performance. We had three ,main guides Fiona, Tupu and Xavi and also got to meet Zita and Francois. They were all absolutely amazing and i think made all the girls in my class really feel comfortable in Samoa! We got to do and visit soooo much in the time span of 10 days and everything was so organised! Even though i'm Samoan the guides showed us soooo many new things like places like the blow holes in Savaii and legends of samoa and everything was just really interesting. I think without polynesian xplorer our trip wouldn't have been as great as it was and am so thankful we got to meet the staff we did from polynesian Xplorer THEY ARE GREAT! thanks

2  Thank Tania I

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The tourguides whose names I believe are Fusi and Tufu were "Excellent", but the arrangement of the tour was definitely "Terrible". In fact, I was deeply upset with the tour and requested to be let out of the van. The problem was that this was not the tour described to me. Since I only had three days in Samoa, I didn't have time or money to spare. The guides adjusted the tour to include Sua Trench, which was the most important site for me. I am deeply grateful. The other highlight was the coconut demonstration. Since this was a different tour, I was unaware of the coconut demonstration and THOROUGHLY enjoyed that experience. I also cherished the swim in the Sua Trench with the guides. They are some of the highlights of my time in Samoa. The day was not a total waste, but it was still the worst tour of my vacation.

I spoke at length with Polynesian Xplorer the previous day. They explained in detail a tour of Piula Caves, the Black Sand Beach, Sua Trench and other sites not included in that tour. I was terribly excited about those specific sites. I only had three days on the island, so I couldn't waste an entire day. This tour covered all my points of interest! When I tried to call back, no one answered. I called all day and the next morning. On a gamble, I hitched a ride to their office. They were there. I was irritated, but they were the only ones offering that tour. I signed up. The guides were late starting the tour. Initially, I didn't mind, because the office staff treated me to a lovely breakfast. That was quite unexpected. I delighted in spending time chatting with her and dining in a local restaurant.

The tour finally began. The guides were so engaging, I forgot all about them being late until we passed Piula Cave Pool. I immediately inquired why and that is when the mix up came to light. I was upset! Instead of letting me out of the van, they kept driving upsetting me further. They wanted to attempt to straighten out the situation, but there were two other guests who booked the current tour. I needed to hitch hike back to town and we were heading further away. In the end, they adjusted the tour to include a black sand beach and Sua Trench. I really rather had departed the tour. I felt forced to continue. The guides were still fantastic, but this had officially become the worst tour I had ever booked.

To compound my disappointment, this was primarily a site seeing tour. I had three days in Samoa and I was stuck in that van all day. It was maddening jumping out the van to snap pictures for 15 minutes and pop back in. I am not elderly. I only participate in adventure tours with swimming in waterfalls and hiking through the island. Halfway through I went to sleep. We had the option to swim for 30 minutes at Litia Sini Beach during the lunch break. The time was short, but I headed out. Then the lunch took forever. Between the late start and the delayed lunch the tour ran late. The swim in the Sua Trench was a pick me up. I needed that dip to stretch my legs and wake me up. The Sua Trench was fantastic and I deeply appreciated the guides coming with me. I was given a much needed warning to stay from the left side due to the suction of the tide.

Fusi and Tufu went out of their way to salvage the tour for me. That consideration is appreciated and resulted in beautiful memories of Samoa. Unfortunately, the sum total of the tour experience was poor.

3  Thank CuriousTrvl
Naniset, Product Manager at Polynesian Xplorer, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Talofa Lava Curious Trvl,

We here at Polynesian Xplorer were really disappointed to hear that you had such an experience on our tours. After receiving your review, we got together in the office to discuss what went wrong here. You should not have been given incorrect information about what was included on the tour, and we apologise that this happened. It is a bit of a mystery to us exactly how this happened, however we do take responsibility, and all of our staff have been briefed so that this will not happen again.

We are however really pleased that you found our guides engaging and excellent (as we really believe that they are!), and that you did come away with some beautiful memories of Samoa.

All in all - we offer our sincere apologies for the mis-information about the tour, and hope that the overall impression of our country for you, was a great one.

Fa'afetai & Best Regards,
The Team at Polynesian Xplorer

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our holiday in Samoa was all the more enjoyable because of the excellent service provided by Polynesian Xplorer.
Nanise booked all our accommodation and ferry crossings for us prior to our holiday.
Emails were answered promptly and the information provided helpful.
Double checking our accommodation details while in Samoa emphasised their on-going support.
Thank you Nanise and the team at Polynesian Xplorer for your very professional and friendly service. We highly recommend Polynesian Xplorer to others travelling to Samoa.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We went on the Return to Nature tour with Polynesian Xplorer in April 2012. It was a fantastic tour - the best shore tour we did on the Cruise we were on. It was organised independently of the ship tours, which made it not only cheaper (the cruise line wasn't taking their cut) but it was much more 'real'. Fiona our tour guide was very knowledgeable and was able to answer all our questions. We were taken to places you would never go to on a regular tour - making it a fascinating day! Highly recommended!

2  Thank Jaali
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent a day in Somoa as part of our World Cruise Adventure and can truly say that we had a fabulous day. We'd pre booked the Beautiful Aleipata tour following recommendations on this site and we're sooo pleased we did. We're a family of 3 and joined 3 fellow cruises on our private tour and we had a wonderful day. Fiona was most informative and took us on a great trip around this beautiful island. Even though it poured down all day, it didn't stop us from visiting waterfalls, experiencing local life and food, walking on beautiful beaches; visiting lush green gardens and caves! We'd most certainly recommend Polynesian xplorers

3  Thank xFroglegs