“For this price.........you'd think it was better”

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had to use this hotel for one night because of transit. From the time of check-in to mosquito bites, bad buffet food, not able to make a simple phone call (front desk staff reacting with horrible attitude), internet problems and over pricing on rooms...everything was okay.

Tanoa is a reputable hotel through out the Pacific but this disappoints.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank R C
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Talofa and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you did not have such a good experience, and your comments will be addressed with all the staff. I do hope that next time you visit Samoa you will stay with us and give us the opportunity to get it right.
Happy Travels.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Great for hot showers and swimming pool and aircon after a hot day in the markets
Breakfast wait staff very friendly and attentive though variety of Buffett food selection limited
Conceirge pleasant and helpful
3 to 4 hour delay in getting pool towels and towels for our room
Prepaid for king beds that appeared to be a double with a single pushed together
Adequate though will consider another option when returning to Samoa

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank BenSas

Talofa and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are pleased that everything was OK with your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Samoa. Thank you and Happy Travels.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Well for the price we paid, it was very disappointing. When we arrived, there was a mix up of the room which took some time to resolve. There was no big welcome speech and brief on the place,Then they gave us the wrong cards for the room cos we went in and someone was already in there (embarrassing). The next day, the cards didnt work at all and everyone looked confused. Housekeeping is painfully slow. It would be about 4pm when you got your room clean and on one day after ringing through the day about 4 times,I went and found housekeeping myself. Didnt have a very good experience with the front desk. Pretty snotty actually with one woman in particular who looked annoyed everytime I asked for some help on something. There seems to be a lot of people at the desk that need to consult together (at least 3 at a time) when I asked for something. The food service is very slow with alot of the food items missing and they never tell you until they serve it up which was kind of funny and then after a few days was annoying. I went to the Insel for the 2nd week of my holiday and even though run down, the service was outstanding so it just goes to show that just because the pictures of the tanoa look pretty doesnt mean you will have a good experience there. The staff honestly look like they dont want to be there, I almost felt sorry for them in that they look so miserable but may have read that wrong. Well good luck on improving things with the staff and service as its such ashame as the venue itself is modern and beautiful but alot of us save very hard for a lovely holiday and poor service really kills things but we love Samoa - it is so beautiful!! For the money you pay at the Tanoa, you should be able to expect a certain level of quality service and unfortunately we didnt feel we go it on this occassion

Room Tip: The rooms and property are fine, I had a problem with the service and overall value for money
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Janie241

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your experience with us was not as you would have expected, and obviously our service in a number of area's was not up to standard. I will be addressing your issues with the staff and departments concerned.
Thank you & Happy Travels.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked in at 1am and checked out at 11am a short visit as we were meant to go back to our family house after a night out but the drive was too long and the driver was drunk hahaha so we checked into Tanoa with our cousins and for the short time we were there it was great the rooms were clean and spacious we even had 5 guys fit our of our rooms and a single bed was brought in for them. The boys booked in earlier in the night and made use of the bar and they said the staff were very nice. They could supply more towels (theres a sign that actually says guests have to pay for missing towels!!) weird no locks on the bathroom tho ..
Overall a great stay, will definitely be staying there for our family reunion next year so we can make use of the wonderful pool they have

Room Tip: get a map of the place .. it gets a bit confusing especially at night where your room is
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Talofa and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Pleased that you enjoyed it, even if you weren't here for long. We look forward to welcoming you back next year for your family reunion. Happy Travels.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel has a number of shortcomings, which have been noted by others as well. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Those on the front desk absolutely clueless about the most simple of questions, but attempted to help, with a bit of prompting. We had some confusion over our bill, (had booked a long stay package all prepaid) and this required a bit of 'discussion' when it came time to check out. It was sorted out, but a 5 day hold on my credit card of $1500 tala (after checking out) was still insisted on, even though it was all prepaid more than 6 months before the actual visit and the small extras settled in cash on departure.
We only had breakfast in the restaurant, which was OK, but ordinary- e.g a very small selection of fresh fruit, empty dishes not replenished, no variation in the 10 days we were there. Imo our waiter was excellent- well trained, friendly and professional.
The rooms are big, and nicely appointed, though the mattresses are lumpy and seriously uncomfortable.- only one towel each was supplied (apart from hand towel and facecloths) The bathroom/basin was not cleaned throughout our 10 day stay.
The pool area is lovely and newly refurbished.
The prices for the Internet are absolutely eye watering! Totally exorbitant and as a result soured all interactions with the hotel. If you need the Internet, I suggest you go to Digicel about 2 blocks down and pay $4 tala for 4 hrs, or buy a local simcard etc.
We love Samoa, (our 5th visit,) though the first to this hotel. We will be back again, but not to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Talofa, and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I have taken note of your concerns and they will be addressed with all departments. We are continuously training and up skilling our staff, and working to improve our service. Thank you for the positive comments on Imo, I will pass them on to him. Internet costs in Samoa are expensive unfortunately. We would love to welcome you back on your next visit.
Happy Travels.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I recently stayed for a week for work and found the hotel satisfactory but not outstanding. Room was spacious and clean, had a decent desk for work, a comfortable reading chair and a balcony with plastic furniture. Towels, toiletries and shower were fine. A room safe is provided. The bed was large but the mattress was soft and sagged. It would be inadequate if you have back problems. The breakfast was satisfactory, but like many places in Samoa, the offerings of fruits and vegetables are limited. Lunch and dinner were not gourmet but acceptable and not overpriced by Samoan hotel standards. If high quality food is desired, go to one of the upscale restaurants. The reception and restaurant staff were always gracious and pleasant. The restaurant service can be a bit slow and chaotic, but it is made up for by graciousness. I got a late checkout to 6 p.m. for 100 tala which seemed reasonable. All in all a decent experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Talofa and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Samoa. Happy travels.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The general manager of this hotel is abrupt, rude and lacks interpersonal communication skills. I watched this general manager belittle staff in front of other staff and hotel patrons. She is unable or unwilling to give cultural advice or any suggestions regarding what to do in Samoa- giving brief unrelated responses only. It appears that she prefers hotel patrons keep their stay short. Her communication skills are atrocious. A good manager would keep the staff informed of changes of entertainment events. I missed out on several entertainment gigs and perks because no one mentioned them. On the other hand, one event (the popular Fiafia) that was advertised in the lobby for patrons of the hotel for days did not occur at all as promoted. According to the manager, the Fiafia event was reserved for a private group only. This information was related to me on the day of the event, days after staff repeatedly suggested that I attend the event- and I planned to do so. It was disappointing to miss out on some cultural experiences during my brief stay in Samoa.
Lastly, many of the amenities that were advertised by this hotel are not available. I consider this fraudulent advertising. This may have an impact on the hotel’s ability to process credit cards in the future.
The disorganised general manager of this hotel demonstrates questionable competence and lack of professionalism. This greatly diminishes the experience of Samoa.
I feel bad for the staff that she verbally and emotionally abused.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kirk a
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Talofa, I am very sorry and also very surprised to receive your feedback this morning. I am very concerned about your comments you have made, and would really like the opportunity to discuss with you. Can I ask you to please email me your contact details on gm@tanoatusitala.com so I can contact you directly. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Return to Paradise Resort & Spa

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!