“Loved it...don't tell anyone.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tanoa Tusitala Hotel

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Apia
Canberra, Australia
“Loved it...don't tell anyone.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

A recent trip to Apia was my first but I definately hope it is not my last. The Tusitala was very comfortable, clean and staff were very helpful. The food was good, beer was cold A/C was cold and quite and the shower was hot. I don't need any more than that.

Room Tip: There are bands playing around the pool 'til around 2130-2200, so if you have early starts, it m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Talofa, Thankyou for your positive feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala. So pleased that you enjoyed your time here. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Samoa.
Thankyou and Happy Travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Port Vila, Vanuatu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the tusitala for 10 days during a work trip. The first time I was in Samoa it was the kitano tusitala, and it has certainly improved hugely since those days!

The room was nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. The room was serviced every day, but towels were not always replaced, and glasses not always washed. But overall the room was great.

The pool is lovely, easily the best I've seen in Samoa, but towels were not available, and I found out after I got in that you are supposed to bring the towel from the room. Staff were not able to help me by going to get one as a one-off request.

The food was ok. Breakfast was average, dinners and room service were nice. Don't order anything with ham unless you like spam-like meat!

This all sounds quite negative, but actually I had a pleasant experience. The reception staff were great, always helpful. Bar staff were similarly friendly. The breakfast staff would do well to smile more!

I enjoyed my stay here more than my stay at Aggies in 2010. I would stay at tanoa again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Talofa and Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed the Hotel and your overall experience was enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa on your next visit to Samoa.
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is the best way to live in Samoa's spirit and at the same time have extraordinary service and facilities. The architecture of the main structures that host Reception and Bar by the pool, all corridors that are there to protect you from sun and frequent tropical rains, the clean and pleasant pool area, the big accommodtion rooms and the great food are good reasons to be here. But above all, what makes the difference is the staff of the Hotel. Everybody is honestly eager to help you and do whatever they can to keep you satisfied. I recommend it 100% to be anyone's first choice when he visits Apia for business or vacation too.
An extra bravo must go to Mrs Mere Vuda who is responsible on organising the events. I think many managers in big European Conference Centers would envy her job !!!. I was here for a conference and I was almost surprised by the efficciency and proffesionalism all matters were managed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Talofa, Thankyou for your positive feedback on your recent conference and stay with us at Tanoa. It is pleasing to hear that you were so impressed with all the staff and the Hotel, I will definitly pass your feedback onto all the staff. Hopefully you have the opportunity to bring another conference to Samoa in the future and will choose Tanoa Tusitala. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This may be a long review as my experience was appalling, so if you need it short and sweet: do NOT stay at this hotel if you have a problem with terrible management. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone simply based on my experience with the GM.

We stayed at Tanoa Tusitala after TC Evan passed in Dec 2012. We had prepaid via the Tanoa website about 2 months prior.
Upon check in, we weren't advised of any problems with the facilities, however, the next day we were advised the water would be turned off between 11am and 4pm every day... Although, the water would always be turned off earlier than 11am and turned on later than 4pm.
Later advised the water would be turned off between 11pm and 6am AS WELL as 11am and 4pm, however, there seemed to be plenty of water to keep the fountains and pools running...
No free bottled water was offered - we had to purchase small bottles from the bar. We were not offered a partial refund - I understand natural disasters can not be controlled, but we checked in after TC Evan had passed and were not advised anything would be affected.
After multiple phone calls to reception over three days, we decided to check out early - and GM advised we would receive one nights refund (the remainder of our intended stay).
We checked out at 9.30am... It took 45min for someone to confirm that I was entitled to my refund, however, I could not receive it right then because I had booked my accommodation via a third party website. Hang on, how is www.tanoatusitala.com a third party website?... I asked for a letter advising I was entitled to this refund, to ensure I had something to fall back on in the event I didn't receive it... It took another 50min for someone to write the letter and hand it to me.

2 months later - no refund. It took me numerous phone calls, emails, and threats to go to Samoa Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Labour for GM to finally process my whole refund... Regardless of the fact GM had signed a letter authorising my refund.

The customer service of the employees at reception, laundry, around the grounds etc were wonderful - it's just terribly unfortunate that management acted in an unprofessional manner, which has resulted in a negative review for this hotel.

Double Deluxe Room (Ground Floor)
Cons:
Light not working in bathroom
Light not working in lounge
Only one bath robe
Shower cap and hair bands left in bathroom
Outdoor area not cleaned
TV (sky channels) not working
Ant infestation - and I mean INFESTATION
No water (inc shower, toilet and sink)
Rooms not cleaned and bins not emptied during stay
Terrible management

Pros:
Friendly reception
Nice surrounds
Nice finishes in the room - room looks just like photos on website (minus the ants)
Comfortable bed and pillows

We chose to stay at my partners family house, where there was no electricity or water due to TC Evan, but I enjoyed staying there much more than Tanoa Tusitala. To pay $200NZD a night for no facilities and terrible management, or to pay $50NZD for water to bathe in and food to eat (for the entire family), AND to be surrounded by beautiful people who are happy to welcome you into their home for free... Hmmm... I wonder what others would have chosen also.

If you have read all of this, I thank you for your time and hope you can take something from my rant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank csr_shuga
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Talofa Chelsea, and Thanks for your feedback, sorry your experience wasn't as you would have expected. It was a dificult time over the Cyclone Evan and we did try our best to accommodate everyone as best we could. I beleive you have received your refund and everything has been settled.
We would welcome you back next time you are in Samoa, and hopefully it won't be in the aftermath of a cyclone.
Happy travels.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at Tanoa for five weeks recently on business, with my wife staying for ten days. The room were very well appointed, cleaned daily and service staff were good. The grounds are very well maintained and the gardens beautiful with Frangipani trees and palms throughout. The bar has a lovely outllook over the cystal blue pool. The atmosphere at Tanoa was relaxed and complemented by good service staff, especially Ioce and Nuufoo who were very good at providing advice about places to visit, local attractions, customs and assistance in our Samoan pronouciation. Martin (the Chef) was also only too happy to provide culinary delights. So if a special is offered at dinner, my tip is to take full advantage of it. If you are looking for a quality stay, great service and friendly people, stay a few nights at Tanoa Tusiltala.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Talofa, and Thankyou for your positive feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your time here and our staff looked after you. I will pass on your comments to the staff concerned. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa Tusitala when you are next in Samoa.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have just spent about a week at the Tanoa and,overall, enjoyed my stay. The staff were very helpful and courteous (always a big plus in my book) and my room was spotlessly clean and well maintained during my stay. The bathroom had been recently renovated and was well set out and had good fittings. Afternoon drinks around the pool/bar were pleasant and a nice way to unwind from the day. Unfortunately there were a couple glaring drawbacks. The first was breakfast, which I found poor to average. Very, very limited choices and the same fare each and every day. Secondly it appears many of the rooms are close enough to the bar area for the sound of the 'jam' session on a couple of evenings to keep you awake until they decide to close down. I wouldn't have minded too much if it had been good musicians actually jamming, but for some reason it turned into a karaoke session early in the evening. Is there anything worse than drunk karaoke singers???? It was so bad on the second night of my stay that my colleague had to insist on his room being changed to somewhere a little quieter. Fortunately, my room was thirty or forty metres further from the bar and my ear plugs solved the problem.

Room Tip: Make sure you are well away from the bar area as the karaoke sessions can go on until there is no on...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Talofa and thankyou so much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us, but I am concerned about your comments regarding Karaoke, as we don't do Karaoke here. We do offer live music on 3 or 4 nights a week, but that always finishes by 10PM. There is a nightclub behind us that does sometimes go quite late in the weekends, and I am wondering if that is where the noise was coming from. If you can email me on gm@tanoatusitala.com direct and give me some more information I will investigate further for oour future guests.
Thankyou, appreciate the feedback.
Kaneohe, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

spent two days, and the service is getting better from the last time i was there. the sandwich menu a bit pricey for local minimum wage standards and for anywhere. hamburger for 30 plus tala? that's about 14 dollars US. the rooms were clean, i only recommend that the maids mob the floor daily instead of sweeping, sweeping does not clean the dust settle on the floor. try walking bare foot and go wash you feet in the shower. good size rooms and very comfortable and quite. did enjoy my stay, and would go there again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Hello and Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Appreciate your comments on housekeeping and the menu prices. We are soon to release a new menu which offers more of a price range in the food we have on offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa Tusitala on your next visit over here.