“Beautiful Samoa”

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

In October 2012 i travelled to Samoa to holiday with friends. From the moment I arrived at the airport (to a cute mariachi island style band) strumming away in arrivals to the day I departed I found the whole experience a real delight. The welcoming smile of the shuttle dirver and easy banter, made the trip from the airport to the hotel most pleasant. On arrival at the hotel the staff were welcoming with beautiful smiles and promptly and efficiently checked me in. The General Manager (happened to walk thru reception) introduced herself and was also most welcoming. My room was spacious, clean and modern. The pool is lovley, although i think it could do with a shade sail being installed. The grounds are well kept and the gardens very pretty. Although I can see this will only get better, as I observed the head groundsman (i think) coordinating and organising new plantings and landscaping with his staff. (most impressive). I felt relaxed, safe and on holdiay! My experience with the staff here was very positive, with a warm smile and always happy to assist. Would highly recommend to all. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Talofa, Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your time in Samoa and especially at Tanoa. We will investigate the possibility of a shade across a portion of the pool, as I know it can get very hot at the pool.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa on your next visit to Samoa.
Thank you and Happy Travels.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Greetings fellow travellers. My family stayed at the Tanoa Tusitala in September 2012. In short we were impressed by the facilites but the service was poor. We had aranged for a shuttle service to pick us up at the airport but this did not arrive. When we checked in, our rooms had been given away so we had to wait until this was sorted. When we checked out, I had settled the accounts for our rooms. Upon returning home to NZ and checking the credit card statement, an additional transaction had appeared. There was no prior notification that this was going to happen. I had contacted the hotel to clarify why the additional charge. It seemed that all the transactions had not been logged on the system. I had asked for a copy of the meal dockets. This has been received. I had then asked for a copy of other meal dockets to as I wanted to double check some other items. This has not arrived. It has been about a month since i first communicated with the hotel and the matter has still not been resolved. The food was also very pricey compared to what you could get in restaurants close by.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Phantom_23_12
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Hello, and thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa. I am surprised to hear your comments re additional charges, please feel free to contact myself direct and I will address immediatly. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards & Happy Travels.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel grounds & rooms here a beautiful & modern. We found the staff really nice but my friend did have to get someone to clean her bathroom again when we checked in. The food & cocktails are of high quality but you do need patience as it takes a while to come. One night our friends had finished their meal by the time ours came. Everything is on Samoa time which we love but this did spoil our night. We also didn't get an explanation from anyone, think it's just a lack of communication really. Other than that we had a great stay & the spa is amazing & cheap!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Talofa and Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, apologies about the delay in the meals, I will follow that up with our Food & Beverage department. Happy that you found the spa enjoyable and affordable.
Thanks & we wlook forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa on your next visit to Samoa.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at tanoa our whole trip for 2 weeks in 2009/2010 and the service was ok, they cleaned our rooms all the time + most of the staff were very friendly and the service was good. Abit of wait on any room service food we ordered but hey thats everywhere in samoa. Went back 2011/2012 and stayed there for another 2 weeks and i totally regret going back. The service was terrible.
They hardly ever came to clean our room, most times i would empty the trash and clean it myself because when i did ask for it or put the sign out, it never got done.
My room key wouldnt work half the time and when i went to reception to let them know they were rude. The second time it happened i was told i was meant to check out that day even though i still had a weeks of payed accomodation left, and she the elderly lady just made it out like i was annoying her because of their error, made me go get my copy of my reciept which i had advised her she took off me the day we checked in, then i got another copy + she took her time like i was in the wrong just handed me a new room key + didn't even apologise.
Also our shower was blocked and the bathroom was abit flooded, i rang reception for a mop they said they were transferring me to the house keeping department...there was no answer, so i rang reception again and was told they will bring the mop. Two hours later i was still waiting, so my husband went to reception + they sent him to house keeping to get the mop himself!
Also our laundry was never delivered to us unless we called to see if they were ready even though it was meant to be in our room the next day + one time we recieved someone else's laundry.
Some staff a friendly but then there are some who just make you not want to go back there again. For the prices they charge they should at least have good service!
Definetly not going back again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Klt02

Talofa, I am so sorry that you did not experience the kind of service that we would hope. This is not what we want our guests to be saying, and your comments will be taken up with all departments, in the hope of it not happening again.
Thankyou for your feedback, it is appreciated. We would welcome you back to Tanoa, if you do decide to give us another chance.
Kind Regards & Happy Travels.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at Tanoa for a week with a friend while on a business trip. It was our first time to Tanoa since the hotel rennovation as I would normally stay at Aggie Greys in town. I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodating check-in service and was also well served when checking out. The rooms, pool and restaurant has significantly improved from Tusitala days and somewhat similar to Fiji resorts. However, my main gripe was the lack of customer service in the restaurant. The hotel did not seem full but service was slow and we had to wait for some time before being served. The staff do not appear responsive when asking for simple requests and they acted like we were interfering with their day! There was also inflexibility with the menu, when I asked for fruit salad for breakfast they said it was only available at dinner time, and only option was the continental breakfast. At lunch time, I just wanted toast with preserves, but they said it was only available at breakfast but could have a toasted sandwich. The food was average, although the buffet breakfast is better than Aggie Grey's. I recommend customer service training for the restaurant and I think the management needs to smile as they appeared flustered and grumpy as they walked about the hotel.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms close to the entrance is easier when having to leave the hotel regularly througho...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Talofa, and thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala.
My apologies for the lack of flexibility shown to you by the staff in the restaurant, it is not what we pride ourselves on, however your comments are appreciated and will be used to help in future training. Also my apologies re management looking flustered and grumpy, again we are generally very happy and relatively relaxed, must have been a bad day!
I hope that you will stay with us next time you visit Samoa.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Arrived for a conference in this hotel, very average service, the breakfast in the morning is pretty poor, they charge you extra for a black coffee!, missing towel in the room, and Internet is over 40 aud per 24h and difficult to use. It worked only in the lobby.. The good thing is that this hotel very close to down town. My wife however enjoyed the spa very much top quality, great location and one of the best massage ever. This hotel need a great rebooking how ever the room are spacious.

Room Tip: Do not expect to have good Internet connection in Apia
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Talofa, Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I must admit I am surprised that you had trouble with internet, as we do have wireless internet throughout the hotel, and generally this works well. Unfortunatly the cost is expensive in comaprison to NZ and Australia.
Pleased that your wife enjoyed the Spa facilities at the hotel.
We hope to see you on your next visit to Samoa.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My fiancée and I stayed at the Tanoa Tusitala for the entire 7 nights we were in Samoa.

We loved the entire experience, all the staff were accommodating to every need and incredibly polite and friendly; I even banged into one of them down the street (off her shift) and she made sure she gave me a huge friendly smile and wave.

The atmosphere of the Tanoa Tusitala was perfect. Relaxing and not too commercial. We were actually advised to stay at Aggie Greys Lagoon resort by our Samoan friend who frequently travels from NZ home to Samoa, but decided upon Tanoa Tusitala after looking online and felt it was a better choice. This was reconfirmed for us, when we went to Aggie Greys for a couple of drinks during the day.......the Tanoa Tusitala far exceeded in service, relaxing atmosphere and ambience.

The accommodation is great, each room is very modern, with all necessities required being provided. They are clean and extremely comfortable with no noise issues.

The location for us was great, we had organized with the hotel transfers to the airport which were easily arranged and arrived on time.
We also hired a car from the hotel for 3 days which was a great convenience as we decided to do our own tour of all the sights and attractions that Upolu had to offer. This was done with ease and we were well advised on the best sights to see.

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel before and after our adventures around the island. The food was reasonable. Next time I would probably order breakfast off the menu rather than the buffet, but the meals on the "deck bar" menu were great, good sizes, good taste. The fish was lovely and fresh, and Ioke's award winning coconut bomb cocktail is an amazing way to start your island holiday or finish off with after a day in the sun.

In all it was a fabulous experience that was great value for money, and we will definitely be staying at the Tanoa Tusitala the next time we come to Samoa and would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Talofa, it is great to hear that you had a great time while staying with us on your recent trip to Samoa. We appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa on your next trip to Samoa.
Happy Travels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Return to Paradise Resort & Spa

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!