“Samoa's Fawlty Towers”

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at Tanoa twice in early September each visit involved a comedy of errors. On our first arrival the room I was checked into was in fact occupied by another guest. You might imagine their surprise when my door key opened and at 9.00pm at night a stranger walked into their room. On my second stay the room key didn't work at all so I had to return to the front desk to get another key and was assigned another room.

Once I finally did get a room I ordered room service around 9.30pm and specifically asked how long it might be and was assured 15 minutes. When the food hadn't arrive 45 minutes later I called again and eventually the food half warm arrived at my door a full hour after it had been ordered.

The king beds, as described in another review, are two mattresses pushed together on my first stay one side had some resilience still but the other was well and truly past its best. On my second stay both mattresses were in very poor condition.

The WiFi is criminally expensive a day was about 80 Tala which equates to USD35. On top of that the system was down all the evening of my stay not that I was told this when I signed up.

The restaurant is also expensive and the food is medicore at best. We went out one night to a restaurant which I couldn't recommend more highly Scalini which was similarly priced as Tusitala but with great quality food.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Hello, Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am really sorry that you had such a "Fawlty Tours" experience, that is definitly not what we want our guests to experience. All of your issues will be addressed with the various departments.
Unfortunatly the cost of Internet over here is considerably more expensive than in NZ, however if the system was down, which normally only happens when we are having a system upgrade, you should have been notified and definitly not charged. Sincerest apologies for all inconveniences caused on your stay.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you when you are next in Samoa.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel was very great and I believe one of two relatively luxurious hotels in Apia, your are within walking distance (5 min) of town. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the resort has two restaurants and the food we had was really nice. Breakfast was also great. There aren’t too many activities in the hotel itself but your do have Apia nearby. The rooms were wonderful and kept clean. They also had a hairdresser and a small souvenir shop on site. No free wifi but a relatively speedy connection nevertheless.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your positive feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Hotel and your time in Apia. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff food the management there fantastic swimming pool really good as well.
They are willing to advice you with cheap deals way getting round somoa meaning the staff and management,they make you feel like home away from home if i may put it that way.Being single i felt very safe staying at the hotel and entertainment was worth everything at the hotel and really they show me few things of fun time and making me feel real welcome to be there so folks reading this i am stressing out go to tanoa tusitala hotel apia worth the money and more!!!So book know don't miss a great opperunity of fun and food so yum just make tanoa tusitala hotel your next stop of travel. your faithfully lisa macdonald.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Talofa, Thankyou so much for your positive feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Samoa.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

First off, the gentlemen Keli and Taylor were very helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, that is where the buck stops. We were warned by friends and fellow reviewers, who had stayed here before, to find a room elsewhere. We should have listened.

Food service was horrible- no one smiled as if you were a inconvenience, food did not arrive until after a full 60 minutes after we got our drinks, and there were no other guests eating there besides another lovely couple. We learned "after" placing our order that key ingredients for our meal was not in stock. The women working at the bar, including our server, never smiled. While we waited, they decided to mop the floor and all around us. Just what we wanted- the odor of a mop, that has cleaned only God knows where, to go with our food. The food was not bad. It was actually good, but the wait killed our appetites. Such a waste.

If the owner/manager is reading this, here is some "free" valuable advice, so listen up- "Food will always taste better when delivered PROMPTLY and with a SMILE. If the food service is terrible, the experience will leave a bad taste in the mouth - no matter how flavorful the food is. Fix this problem, and you WILL have guests eager to return and spend their hard-earned money.

One evening we were at the bar, the bartender offered us appetizers from a plate that I noticed had been sitting behind him on the counter for 20 minutes before he offered it to us. Whether or not it was someone else's food or customary to offer guests food that had been sitting there getting cold, I could not tell you. Service is so SLOW, you almost have to tackle a staff member in order to get service.

In our room, we contacted the front desk to address a issue we had and were informed that an I.T. technician would be up to our room. 45 minutes later, still no I.T. technician. Did I ask for a I.T. technician? No. But they suggested to send one, and he never came. We called the front desk and ask them to cancel "their" request to send a technician. We didn't have the luxury of time to waste, as we had people to see, places to go, and many things to do, and especially did not want to lose another hour of my life that I will never see again.

Careful when you are in the shower, as there was standing water (yuck!) in the floor of the shower due to improper drainage/runoff, and no rubber mats or safety bars or handles.

Bed linen was stained, and anyone can make a great drinking game of guessing the stains- Yuck.

The king size bed is actually two twins pushed together- we discovered that Tonga trench of a gap after laying on the bed. The air conditioner worked great, and the refrigerator stayed cold. The iron leaked all over my clothes, and adjustment knob was broken off.

Rooms- they need clean linen, shower drainage needs to be fixed and get some safety handles installed or at least have a rubber mat. Please have what you advertise you have eg. king size bed and not two twin beds- they are not the same thing. Flat tv is great and the room decor is beautiful. The housekeeping lady, Keli, and Taylor were great.

Another brother Tulaga mentioned that this place has potential, and that is so true. I see so much potential here, but from what I experienced, management has a huge blindspot and no vision.

I don't mean to come off snooty. I've stayed in places with much less in accommodations, but had a far richer experience due to the warmth, kindness, and attention to detail that many others have. For as much as we paid, I expected so much more.

The biggest killer of the stay here is the attitude or lack of courtesy and attentiveness by the staff. As a fellow proud Samoan, the Tanoa Tusitala fell short of Samoan hospitality. We visited our friends who stayed at the lesser expensive hotels, and we received far better service from them, and we were "not" even guests there.

I've read the other positive reviews about this hotel, it's just a shame that we did not have the same experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SaMoan G

Talofa and Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala. My sincere apologies to you for all the problems that you seemed to have while you were here, if I had known earlier I might have been able to do something to make things go smoother for you.
We are constantly working to improve our service levels in all departments at The Hotel. I hope that next time you are in Samoa you will give us the opportunity to look after you again.
Thankyou & Happy Travels

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at the hotel and although we found the hotel itself very nice (good room and facilities) the service was somewhat lacking. The staff at the deck bar would never acknowledge us let alone bring us a menu so found ourselves having to go to the bar and order our drinks and food! The food itself was very nice but this would often be after a long wait (not normally an issue but when you are the only ones in the bar an hour wait is unacceptable). I completely agree with an earlier reviewer - basic common sense here is what's needed. Once that's addressed it'll be top notch!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Talofa, Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala. Sorry that we didn't meet your expectations regarding the service, it is something that we are always working on.
Pleased that you enjoyed the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa when you are next in Samoa.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Tanoa for four nights. We checked in a day early (our mistake) and the staff were great in dealing with this. The room was spacious and had all the mod cons. It was a little noisy with the outdoor air condition unit being right next to the louver window at night time.

The food left a lot to be desired and even the alcoholic drinks we ordered were not nice. We had our complimentary breakfast and mid way through eating a staff member approached us and asked who we were.

I understand they have just reopened hopefully this was just teething problems.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Talofa and thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you found the food and drinks not to your standard. We are always working on improving our standard of service and what we offer our guests, so your feedback helps.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Samoa.
Thanks & Happy Travels

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure this is the best equipped large hotel in Apia with the most comfortable rooms, the best food and definitely the best pool. It's not a complete resort, but you can easily wander into town, and it's more functional and efficient than romantic. But I've stayed here several times, including before the complete renovation that was finished by late 2010, and I rate it well above Aggie Grey's for comfort and quality - plus its price is significantly lower.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Travelwith2kidsnow

Hello and Thankyou so much for your feedback. So pleased that your stay with us was great and that you appreciated all the facilities and what we have to offer here at Tanoa.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Samoa.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Return to Paradise Resort & Spa

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!