“How can it get such bad reviews.”

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“How can it get such bad reviews.”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

There is nothing wrong with this hotel that causes it to get such bad reviews and I cannot understand how my experience having stayed twice recently is so vastly different to some of the other reviewers. You have to wonder if they actually stayed there at all.
I have been travelling the Pacific Islands on business for well over thirty years and have stayed at so many different quality hotels that obviously I have my favourites and the new Tanoa Tusitala is my hotel in Apia. I used to stay there in the old Tusitala days, then the Kitano Tusitala when it went downhill but I am most definitely back there now and so are a lot of other business travellers.
I have just stayed there for the second time since the refurbishment and the hotel was fully booked, I was lucky to get in. The staff are great, the hotel has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and the rooms are beautiful. I realise that people can have bad experiences at any hotel that puts them off the place but I certainly have not had that at the new Tanoa Tusitala. In fact I cant wait to get back there next trip as the new restaurant was about to open a day or so after I left.
My advice is to go see for yourself.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JEC805
TusiGM, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your stay and for your kind and encouraging words. It is great to hear that our Team is on the right track - making sure that our guests' stay are as pleasant and as memorable as we possibly make it to be. We hope that we will have the opportunity of having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Reviewed April 10, 2011

If your in Samoa to explore Apia for a day or two then its not bad, definately not a resort as they portray it to be as its surrounded by a large noisy Chinese building being built,....my wife was constantly whistled on by the chinese workers working on the 6th story of their building every time she got into the swimming pool!

We also found the hotel over priced and expensive foer what its worth!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
TusiGM, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It is only through honest feedback such as yours that we are able to evaluate, review and improve our services and product. We are very sorry and disheartened to hear of your experience. We apologize if we had mislead you to believe that we were a resort as we never intended it to be that way. We are a city hotel located at the heart of Apia and have no beach or ocean access. We are sorry too for the inconvenience your wife experienced with our Chinese neighbors. Whilst this is the first time that we are hearin gof such a concern, we will approach them to request that they respect the privacy of our guests.

Should you wish for us to further addess your concerns, you are most welcome to contact us directly via info@tanoahotels.ws. Again, our sincerest apologies. Thank you for this review and more importantly for your kind understanding.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Lots to write about that is negative with this Hotel.

Biggest issue was the staff, poor service, unfriendly and food was below par.

Would probably stay at Alamanaki next store or Millenia which were much friendlier and less sterile and food was of better quality!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Before I left to go to Samoa my local travel agent recommended the Tanoa to me - it is and was the old run down Kitano Tusitala Hotel. I arrived and was not met at the airport after bing promied a transfer as part of my package so I paid a 100 Tala fare to the Hotel, when I arrived at some un godly hour the clerk on duty who looked like hed been asleep most of the night refused to refund my money. So I let it be as it was late and I didnt want to argue. I was taken to the room by myself in the dark as there were no porters to be seen. Got to the room and a strong smell of must greeted me. Slept the night and there I couldnt sleep at all well as the air con was blowing into my face and by this time was rattling. When I brought these issues up with an asian lady manager she promised to look into it.

Well suprise suprise I left after my 3 day stay and not one issue was looked into.

The other down side t this place is that the food is mediocre, bland and dry and above all else very very expensive.

The staf were unfriendly compared to the likes of the Insel, Aggie Greys and other smaller Hotels I had previously stayed at.

For those, thing twice before choosing the Tanoa!

Perhaps over time it will improve but the service needs a big overhaul.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It is only through honest feedback such as yours that we are able to evaluate, review and improve our services and product. We are very sorry and disheartened to hear of your experience. Rest assured that the manner by which your concerns were handled by our "asian lady manager" as well as the conduct of our night staff will be discussed with them. Your comments on our rooms' musty smell and noisy air conditioning has been noted too.

Reviewed March 22, 2011

Stayed for 5 nites, very average for the price paid and stating 4 star status. Id probably stay at Insel or Alamanaki next time, food very dear as are the drinks and over all service poor. Rooms noisy, a bit dirty and the air con was very noisy! Internet rediuclous dear??

Management that I saw very very stuck up and rude to deal with!

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It is only through honest feedback such as yours that we are able to evaluate, review and improve our services and product. We are very sorry and disheartened to hear of your experience. We can only wish that you had brought your concerns up with us whilst you were still on site so we could have done something for you to make your experience with us nicer. At this stage, we can only look back and work on ways to rectify the concerns you have pointed out. Rest assured that your comments on the management team you interacted or dealt with will not be taken lightly. Your concerns with them/us will be discussed.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Spent three nights in this beautiful resort, our rooms were spacious, quiet air con , very well darkened for those sleepins. Beautiful clean pools. Best thing was the friendly staff, least liked thing - going home. Thank you for a relaxing environment.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank velonikaa
auckland
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Room was spacious and appear nice and modern but bed was very uncomfortable.Two single beds were pushed together to form a double bed. The uneven mattresses created a big bump in the middle.The air conditioner was noisy and faced the top of the bed from the side and blows directly into your face when youre in bed. Enjoyed the big TV screen though.
Overall stay OK but expected a bit more for price paid.
Check out Amanaki hotel next door for dining.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to wrote a review on us. Thank you too more importantly for your feedback which is of much value to us as we move forward. Rest assured that your comments on the our air conditioning and the bed was noted. Overall, it was great to see that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you will consider staying with us again on your future trips to Apia.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Taumeasina Island Resort
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!