“a haven in the city”
Review of Taumesina Hideaway

Taumesina Hideaway
Ranked #19 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Apia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was very pleased I made the effort to discover Taumesina, its tucked out of the way opposite Apia park down Matautu way ( the road that goes inland from by the port, just around the corner from Aggies Hotel)
The buses are frequents (less than a tala) and taxi just 5 tala,but I walked to town most days I was there.
Taumesina is on a lagoon, great for swimming at all tides. It is located at the end of a village road with a reserve around so it feels quite village like even though its close to Apia central.
I stayed in the basic fale with share bathroom, it was comfortable with a good bed and wee balcony, the bathroom was one of the cleanest in Samoa and breakfast by the lagoon was nice.
At only 50 tala for 1 person in the fale or 80 tala in a self contained unit it very good value.
Sara goes out of here way to help make your stay comfortable.
I will be back and would recommend it- there is a new hotel being built across the other side of the lagoon but I didnt find the construction annoying- (about 1 truck an hour driving past during the day)- when you compare that to most places in the centre where you have buses, traffic, roosters and music close by day and night its very peaceful

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank amysmum578

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Taumesina Hideaway is an absolute gem. The location is fantastic - right on the lagoon where you can swim, watch the sun rise, and even check out the paddlers practicing some nights. Its serene and beautiful. Yet its only 5 minutes - and a 5 tala taxi ride away from Apia where you can eat, drink and shop to your hearts desire.

Sara and Masi are the perfect hosts - generous, kind, patient and fun. They always have a smile on their face, a twinkle in their eye and all the time in the world to answer your questions or offer you advice. Their gorgeous daughters Celia and Sarona also never fail to make you feel welcome and put a smile on your face.

The units are simple - think a cabin at a New Zealand/Australian camping ground. But they are clean, tidy and equipped with everything you need. They have a fan for the balmy nights, a fridge to keep your beers cold and a television so you can keep up with the world news. They are certainly great value for what you pay - as are the generous and delicious daily breakfasts.

I stayed at Taumesina for six weeks and from the first day I felt like it was my home. I cant recommend it highly enough, and I can't wait to return there one day soon.

Room Tip: The units are worth the extra money for the space and facilities they come with.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank PipGuy
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I loved staying at Taumesina. I had to work in Apia, but I was happy to be based right on the lagoon, so I could start each day with a swim before enjoying Sara's delicious breakfasts. Sara and Masi are fabulous friendly hosts and really understand the meaning of going the extra mile. Their daughters, Celia and Sarona make you feel like you are a part of their family. The little cottages were ideal for me with own bathroom and a little kitchen. I hired a bike which was great - it made popping into the fruit market to buy a pawpaw and a coconut so easy. Palolo Deep Marine Reserve, which has fantastic snorkelling and beautiful shade is just a few minutes away. I'd love to come back with my family for a holiday!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gisela p
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were walking back from Apia the day we were to check in to this idyllic place when Sara was just coming back from somewhere when I rushed her at the traffic lights to ask if she could take us back to the hideaway. What a great host. I'm sure we put her out as she had to take us to our hotel to pick up our luggage and laundry and then take us to our place of stay. But that lovely Samoan smile never left her face.I bought some lobster and bugs at the fish market and without even asking she offered to cook them for me. Her breakfasts were great and one night she cooked us a wonderful Samoan dinner. The rooms were well equipped with tv and a kettle plus a ceiling fan. The hotplate for cooking looked slightly worse for wear and there were a few basic broken things in the bathroom that slightly took away from the great experience. But if you needed anything she brought it straight away. A truly great host. I don't know how she does it but she and husband also have 'regular jobs'
Our only gripe was that when Samoan people cook with their outdoor ovens they use green wood and at night the smoke pervades all your clothing and we found it difficult to sleep with dogs barking and the smoke. This is a place to relax as the beaches here are not as good as say Lalomanu. There is a development going on across from her place so expect some truck traffic during the day whilst that's happening. Would stay here again or if the stress of life is doing your head in come and do an extended stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at Taumesina for a week and while the rooms are basic they are a great size for the price with kitchen sink, fridge and bathroom. Being right on the edge of the lagoon meant a lazy swim before every breakfast.

Sara was a fantastic hostess,
always smiling and read to help.
Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank abbeyd23
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Taumesina Hideaway was perfect for me. If you have to healthy feet you can walk into town, the only thing which made me take a 5Tala-Taxi was the sun! It's the perfect location and the breakfast right next to the beach is just wunderful - just ask for the "avocado-oil-pancake"!!!!!
Sara and Masi will make everything easy for you and will help you in any way they can. They represent Samoa in it's friendlyness! They have three dogs which are just gorgeous!
If you like to enjoy Apia I recommend to stay at Taumesina Hideaway. It will be a wonderful time for you in Samoa!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

If your idea of a holiday is staying at the Ritz-Carlton........don't go to Taumesina but if your idea of the best holiday ever is enjoying authentic Samoan village life, peace, relaxation and beautiful scenery beyond measure, then TAUMESINA will be your little "slice of heaven"!! Masi and Sara exude genuine Samoan hospitality and make everything so easy for you. The individual cottages were perfect for us and fully equipped for all our needs. We loved the chickens cruising around and even the occasional rooster added that down-home feel of comfort. Of course, Suga and Brownie(the doggies) were our "best Buds" and willing to hang out with us as we explored the area. We cooked them a couple of sausages the day we left just to let them know how much fun they were. Would I recommend Taumesina........you'd be crazy not to stay there and enjoy all it has to offer!! I have a stunning picture of the sunrise but couldn't get it to upload..........trust me it is breath taking!! So, what are you waiting for, book Taumesina before you lose out????

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business