“The friendliest place to stay in Samoa. A real home-from-home”

Tatiana Motel -Tanugamanono
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Apia
Tatiana Motel -Tanugamanono
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

i spent an amazing 6 weeks in Tatiana Motel on my elective. It was the first time i had ever been to Samoa and it really was a most incredible experience. The motel is run by the Tatiana family who are the warmest, kindest and most friendly family in the whole of Samoa! They were always there if we ever needed anything and would even offer to arrange trips, taxis and book weekends away for us. It was so amazing to feel part of the family and it really did help me to settle in. I am very jealous of anyone who is considering going to Samoa. It was fantastic! If you decide to go, you HAVE to stay at Tatiana's and say 'talofa' to the family from me!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cardiffmedelective

Reviewed August 2, 2012

During my 9-month research trip to Samoa, I used Tatiana Motel as my weekend getaway for writing vacations, to get a good dose of privacy and quiet time, and to be close to restaurants, gyms, and shops in town. The staff, especially Athene, was incredibly flexible with booking my dates, and had an immense amount of patience with me as I had to reschedule last minute on many occasions. A lovely supply of fruit, bread, jams/spreads, coffee and tea throughout the day and a community/common kitchen helped me keep my food costs down, and the LavaSpot (wireless internet) access was a lifesaver at times. The hotel and staff became my home away from home, and I would recommend anyone staying long-term in Samoa to consider Tatiana Motel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Christina K
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at Tatiana for 8 weeks on my medical elective and I'm so glad I chose to go there. If you're looking for 5* luxury with cocktail waiters and an infinity pool then look elsewhere (maybe Fiji?) but if you want to go somewhere genuinely warm and welcoming you can't do better than this. Athene and her family will make you feel right at home and will bend over backwards to help however they can. I've never stayed anywhere I've felt so welcomed as this. Even if you want to go away for a few nights they won't charge you and they'll book your transport, accomodation etc for you if you want them to, which takes away all the hassle, and often gets you cheaper 'mate's rates' at some of the loveliest places. The rooms are spotlessly clean and have plenty of space, especially if you have a room to yourself. Rooms all have a private bathroom with shower and plenty of storage space. They also all have air conditioning which other similarly priced hotels nearby don't have. I disagree strongly with bluebird81 below - I think the accomodation here is excellent, especially for the budget price. Breakfast is included and there's loads of choice - cereal, fresh bread, toast, tons of fresh fruit and sometimes porridge and eggs too. There's also bread, fruit, tea and coffee available all day which is really welcome after a shift at the hospital! There's a small supermarket nearby and town is a 20 minute walk or cheap taxi ride away. There are always lots of other students staying here too which is a great way to meet people from all over, especially if you're travelling solo as I did. Travelling in Samoa isn't about luxury - it's about honest, warm hospitality and there isn't anywhere that can beat Tatiana for that.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Emma P
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I recently stayed at Tatiana Motel for 8 weeks on and off while on my medical elective from New Zealand. The place was ideal and provided everything that was needed an more. Athene the manager was the best, she was like a friend to all of us on our elective plus advisor on everything in Samoa. She would go out of her way to book us into places to stay for the weekends and tell us all the best spots to go to. You become one of the family. It is also a brilliant place to meet others from all around the world on their electives. The motel itself is just what you need, the rooms come with fans, aircon, comfy beds and your own bathroom (if your in a single room). Breakfast is provided each morning and there's a massive lounge with a huge selection of movies to hang out with everyone else. The place is 5 min walk to the hospital and approx 15-20 min walk to town. It is kept clean and tidy. It is also very affordable. All in all a great place to stay while on elective and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jordan T
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I recently stayed at Tatiana motel to complete my elective at TTM hospital. After reading the reviews I decided that this was the place for me. Althought I had a fantastic elective and absolutely adored Samoa I would think carefully when deciding if this accomodation is for you. I wont use this post to go into details about the best things you can see or do in Apia and Samoa (you can read the Saoman tourist site easily) but instead I will focus on the positives and negatives of the actual accomodation.
Positives
1) Mama and Papa (the couple who run Tatiana) are extremely friendly and make you feel well looked after.
2) It is close to the hospital
3) As Samoa goes the price is reasonable
4) Many medical students say here and the atmosphere can be fantastic
5) You can get your washing dome very cheaply
6) If you clear out your room you can check out and in several times so that when you go away for a few nights you are not charged
Negatives
1) The standard of accomodation is poor. The rooms at the front don't have hot water, the rooms in the middle have barely no light. The furnishings are very basic and most of the rooms have the shower in the bedroom and a toilet with no window.
2) There are better quality similarly priced places nearby - Lynnes getway and Outrigger hotel
3) OUM (the local med school) has a few students who stay here and their comfort is put before that of foreign students ie/ on a weekend night if most of those staying at the hotel go out when you get back even if it is not late you are asked not to cause noise incase you upset an OUM student.
4) Breakfast is very repetative
5)There is a known problem with things going missing

In hindsight I now see I like a little higher standards and I would have chosen a different accomodation, but if you are someone that really doesn't mind roughing it you will be rewarded by a really hospitable family.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank bluebird81
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The Hotel was dated and needs a revamp. The room was a good size with air conditioning but very basic with everything else old and tired. Friendly staff at reception and bread,jam and bananas for breakfast with tea or coffee!
One night was enough and there are better ones close by. The location is close to the supermarket and market so all within walking distance which was a bonus.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are OK so that you can sit outside and see the world go by.