“Fantastic hospitality”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Fantastic hospitality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We ended up at this hotel at 1am in the morning of the night of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. We'd been staying on the beach further along the coast but had evacuated there due to the tsunami threat, opting to drive back into Apia and up the hill.

Luna and her staff were fantastic; despite being full they welcomed us like friends, plying us with drinks and food and providing pool loungers and bedding for us to spend the night. We could even sit up and watch the unfolding events on BBC. In the morning they gave us breakfast too, all for free although we did offer to pay for the food.

We were so impressed that we returned the following night, taking a room that time! It was very spacious, with a neat outdoor bathroom, private and surrounded by tropical gardens. The hotel is well up the hill on the cross island road (near the RLS homestead), but is only a few minutes drive from the centre of Apia. It is slightly cooler than on the coast and had very pleasant surroundings.

We had previously stayed in the middle of Apia, but in retrospect wished we had gone to Le Manumea as it was far superior for a similar price.

The restaurant was OK, nothing special though and the rooms were clean.

Thanks again Luna & the rest of the staff - you really saved our lives that night and I'd recommend this hotel for a stay in Apia

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank opgp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a good place to stay if you want to be close to Apia, but want to be away from the traffic, roosters and dogs! Really big rooms that are well decorated. The outdoor bathroom is neat and the pool area is good. When we stayed the place got a little rowdy (outdoor shows until reasonably late at night - but we weren't complaining as it was something to do!)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

The rooms were spacious, clean and felt private due to the design and gardens. The outside bathroom was novel. Food and drinks were reasonably priced.

The swimming pool is quite small and in full view of the dining area.

Luna is great, making sure that the guests are well cared for, even ensuring that the taxis don't rip you off.

The hotel isn't located near the beach but is close to the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum. Ocean views are limited and broken at best but its location in the foot hills ensures a nice cooling breeze.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Roy650
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

I took my wife to Samoa on holiday to celebrate our wedding anniversary and booked our stay at La Manumea just by chance from reading reviews other people had left on Trip Advisor. Our flight from Sydney was delayed for a day so I expected to forfeit a nights accommodation that we had already paid for but when we arrived, the owner and manager Luna said not to worry and she would only charge us for one night, a super gesture that she wasn’t obliged to do. That was really the start of a great holiday where we were looked after very well in a fashion that one might look after houseguests rather than customers. The Fale is magnificent, an indoor/outdoor affair with reception, restaurant and bar. The rooms or chalets really are tastefully decorated in a south pacific style and the outdoor volcanic rock bathroom is inspiring. We thoroughly enjoyed our say and for $280 tala – about $120 Australian dollars including 2 very well prepared and presented meals is exceptional value in Samoa. The soundings are quiet being next to a nunnery and a short walk to the Robert Louis Stevenson house. A short taxi ride down into town, the elevated position makes it a cooler option as well.
Thank you Luna, Norman, Cecilia and everyone else who made our stay so enjoyable. We’ll be back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tobybromley
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

Samoa is all about relaxing and been part of a different culture. The thing I liked the most about this island is that people are still genuine and don't hate tourists yet. So when in Samoa, do as the Samoans do.

Le Manumea is great example of this. Fantastic place! Luna, the owner, is very welcoming of her guest (tourists and her own friends) and creates a good atmosphere.

I went with my partner and we enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are private and very clean. The best feature are the bathrooms, we absolutely loved the rock walls and the open ceiling.

The food was delicious and the staff were very friendly. Yes, the food takes a while to come to you, but it is the same everywhere in Samoa, you just have to relax and switch off the Big City mode.

It is located inland, but its not far at all from the main street, about 5-8 minutes drive. There are internet cafes and mini markets close by. And for us it worked perfectly because its on the way for the shortest route to the south of the island where all the best beaches are.

The price could be a bit better, so I hope Luna doesn't keep pushing prices up because then you will have to compare it to the luxurious hotels that would be better value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

My husband and I spent a lovely week at Le Manumea during our honey moon to Samoa! Had a fantastic stay! The rooms were cool, spacious and clean and the outdoor bathroom was an interesting and well recieved addition. Lovely showering under the stars on a warm night or during an afternoon sun shower!

Rooms were made up daily, with fresh flowers brought in from the beautifully manicured tropical gardens that surround the units - a lovely touch! Very private and quiet, relaxed surroundings, perfect for the romantic getaway! The pool, with its own waterfall was a lovely place to cool off after a day of sightseeing and the staff would happily turn on the fantastic "colour changing" pool lighting it you wished to extend your swim into the evening hours!

Breakfasts (complimentary with the room fee) were tasty and more than adequate - cereal, fresh tropical fruits, toast and eggs cooked too your liking and an assortment of juices, tea and coffee to accompany! The one evening meal that we had a the hotel was also delicious (fish of the day and the sirloin steak) and service was prompt. The staff were lovely and very welcoming and willing to go out of their way to ensure that all our needs were met! Luna was fantastic and helped us with all our requests - organising taxis, car hire and providing us with all the advice we required for travel around the island! A fantastic host she looked after us throughout the stay and ensured that our holiday was the best it could be!! Thank you Luna and the staff of Le Manumea!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SBickers
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Wow, where do we begin. After searching tirelessly online for suitable accommodation for my mother and aunt, I finally found this place after being recommended by a friend. Up until my mother and aunt had boarded their flight to Samoa, I had not found anything nice, cosy and value for money until I cam across Le Manumea. I emailed their website address and was amazed at how efficient and prompt the service was I recived. I have enquired online with other hotels and still had not heard back even though their websites stipulate within 24 hours. The lovely Tualagi Paul was so efficient she called me within hours whilst my mother was inflight to Samoa, within 15-20 minutes I had arranged a room for 5 nights thatincluded free dinner and breakfast, great concept, the Mega Special. She even arranged the Transfer to pick my mother up whom I must say, Peter (was brave to approach them especially given that my mother didn't know this was being arranged) just a wonderful example of the exceptional style and way this particular resort has gone out of their way to accomodate my mother and aunt. Truly appreciated from me in NZ an dI will certainly travel there myself to experience what my mother describes as a beautiful hidden paradise, its not just the Hotel but its people. It is hard to find this high level of service at such a great price. A wonderful relaxing environment for those travelling with parents or families. Tualagi and the staff at Le Manumea have certainly blown my mother away with their hospitality, a wondrful place to experience the lovely nature of the Samoan people, faafetai lava!

Room Tip: Call the Hotel direct to compare website prices.