“Not the place!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Salelologa
Alice Springs, Australia
“Not the place!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you like cockroaches in your lunch visit this resort. Not worth rating.
We had booked, but some travelers turned out before us....and we could not get the room anymore. Our room was gone!
The staff did not really care. Sloppy service. Any other location in Savai'i is better than this one.
No service, no atmosphere.
It is close to the wharf, but really it is not worth it. After all if you go to Savai'i you must be there for a few days.

Room Tip: I agree with all other accommodations in Savai'i.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Roberta M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Thankfully we were only stuck here one night as we missed ferry, but I would avoid at all costs if possible. Room still had dishes in sink, toiletries and dirty towels in bathroom. They said someone would come up to room and clean but never did. Dinner was slow, then my husband said he saw half the staff watching samoa star search or some kind of idol show, so no wonder no one was cooking dinner or serving bar. Resort facilities are budget, look nothing like brochures or ads. Reception is unhelpful. Have unfortunately encountered many poor motels in Samoa, but this one takes the cake. Save your hard earnt $$ for somewhere else that actually remembers we pay a lot of money to go on holiday and would love to get some decent value for our money!!

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank gen36

Travelers are raving about these Salelologa hotels

Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The manager was very helpful when we contacted them after making a booking and gave us a room that met all our needs. The staff were very helpful.Having a fridge & kettle was great as we had brought supplies such as good bread, cheese & olives that you can't get on Savaii and were able to make snacks whenever we felt like it. The new pool was under construction but we could swim whenever we wanted off the pontoon in the lagoon. Deckchairs & lounges in the pretty garden/beach for relaxing in the shade or sunset. Quiet spot, despite being in town.

Room Tip: Not sure if the cheaper mall rooms have hot water - worth asking before booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elzie_12
Mark B, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind words we always do our best to please.
All I would like to add to your review apart from our thanks are a couple of pieces of information. Firstly in answer to your point, Yes, our Mall Rooms do have hot water.
And secondly our pool project is now finished and we can again offer use of a pool which is now larger and better than before. We will post some new photo's of it to Tripadvisor later today.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed for one night as it was close to the ferry. We didn't pre book and just turned up and asked to look at their rooms. They happily obliged. At the time the pool was under repair.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I asked where I could add credit to my phone and one of the staff went down the street for me and recharged it for me. They even offered to drive us the the ATM which is only about a 5 minute walk down the street.
We hired the cheapest car on their books for 2 days. The car was old but clean and didn't break down. It was also the hotel company car complete with signage so you only had to refuel to where the guage was when you picked it up.
Our room was air conditioned but no fan. Modern new and a great view from the balcony. It was 2 storey with bedroom and TV upstairs. Shower and toilet downstairs so kept the curtains drawn. The kitchen was modern and almost brand new. If you dont like stairs dont stay.
In Samoa hotels they turn off the fridges but keep the fridge door closed so when you open it up it does smell. Once the fridge cranked up it worked fine and the smell soon went away.
The "mall" is almost deserted with a few empty shops.
They offered a free shuttle bus service to the ferry.
There were plenty of staff on hand to help with suitcases and if they weren't around just ask and they appear. If you are bias against he/shes then dont stay. A few of the staff were men dressed as woman but this did not affect the service they provided.
Like all over Samoa there is a vast contrast in living standards and once outside the hotel the street is second rate with stray dogs and even the odd pig. It is safe.
We didn't eat here because we bought our own food but the restaurant looked clean and modern with great views.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for your review we are glad that we were able to add to your enjoyment of our wonderful country.
With regards to the stairs in our terrace suites this can be a problem for some (I have dodgy knees myself) but still come and stay as our Mall Rooms which have now been renovated are on one level. The pool is, as I type this being enlarged and the pool designer is due here tomorrow to lay all the drians, pumps and filters.
We are looking forward to welcoming everyone to our newly renovated rooms and new, enlarged pool. We now offer pizza onsite along with a full range of bakery items from meat pies to scones.
We are trying our best to improve our exisiting facilities while adding new ones so please do gives us a try, if only for one night as you arrive or leave Savaii. We think you'll be impressed.
Kawerau, New Zealand
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I decided to try Jetover at the start of this trip, but went back to my favourite of the Savaiian after one night.
The fales were 60wst for one person, the bed had gecko pooand termite dust on it, the decor was gecko eaten and the room was small and old. The communal bathroom wasnt cleaned.
The pool was out of order and a month later when I stopped by was still out of order.
The food was overpriced and limited choice
My only hope is the new manager and his wife may improve things, I will check next year just in case...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank amysmum578
, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear Amy's Mom,

Firstly let me apologise for the shortcomings in our establishment during your stay. However as the new manager you mentioned I would just like the right of reply on a couple of the problems you encountered.
With regards to the pool we have no excuse it was out of order for the month you claimed ( and will be so for about another 3-4 weeks) this is due to new plans coming into place. As of Monday work will begin on a new larger pool, this will also include a run off to a small pool designed and built specifically for the little ones to enjoy the water in relative safety. I say relative as all water can be dangerous and parents must still be 100% vigilant while their children swim. I guess some pain is inevitable as we strive to improve and I'm sorry the pool work fell during your stay.
With regards to the fale and your prefered choice of The Savaiian I would like to just say this:
We have taken steps over the last few weeks to change our housekeeping policy and our staff system of working. This I hope will cure the problems you encountered especially in the communal areas of shower and toilet-however the odd gheko poo on the bed I'm afraid is the price of living in the tropics and staying in fales with thatched roofs.
I would also like to point out to everyone that if you had selected one of our airconditioned rooms which I believe are on a par with the Savaiian while I couldn't guarantee NO gheko visitors you may have found your room larger and more on a par with your preferred hotel of choice. Especially with an ensuite toilet and shower,aircon and TV.
As you say my wife and I are the new management team here and will strive to improve on all fronts over the coming months. My employer has promised to back us financially and so far we have new kitchen equipment intsalled worth NZD$20,000 (pizza ovens plus a new pressure fryer-the first in the southern hemisphere) with another NZD$44,000 ordered. We have already refurbished 5 rooms and the new pool work starts Monday. I hope by next year all this hard work and our new staff training policy will help change your mind on your preferred hotel.

Thanks for the chance to reply. If anyone would prefer to write to me privately rather than in an open forum please feel free to email me at jetoverhotel@gmail.com

Mark&Kisa Birtwistle
USA
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here 2 weeks ago, we booked 5 rooms and our stay was incredible. We had family members who have never been to Samoa, better yet Savaii. I was a bit hesitant to stay at the Jetover Hotel because I always stay at Aggies in Upolu and Siufaga Beach Resort in Savaii. I was totally impressed with the price, the service, the rooms, the beds and of course the view. We all stayed in the 2 story rooms facing the absolutely beautiful lagoon. The food was incredibly delicious, it has taste and well prepared, the staff was friendly and the hostess, Helen, was of course the icing on the cake. Helen runs a top notch staff and they are professional, friendly and best of all the prices are in Samoan Tala and very reasonable.
Dont let the entrace from the main road fool you, the hotel is top notch and is half the price of any Aggies and Siufaga Resort. We will always come back to Jetover and enjoy Helen's hospitality and especially the bed. If you love your sleep, believe me the beds are a top notch bed, its like staying at the Starwood Hotels that brag about their beds. This hotel has thought of what really matters to travelers. Hats off to the Jetover, the owners and of course Helen and the staff.

Room Tip: Stay at the 2 bedroom apartments, its well AC and you will love the view of the lagoon, the sunrise...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. As the new manager I cannot take credit for your reviw as I started after your stay. I do however agree with your sentiments about the frontage not looking as promising as the hotel deserves.
Once people get past the seemingly industrial outlook at the front they will find a lush tropical garden with secure facilities and as you say the rest of the facilities to match.
Thanks again for your review and I hope people will listen and give the Jet Over Hotel the chance it deserves.
My name is Mark Birtwistle and my wife is Kisa, please feel free to contact us anytime. We take all reviews good or bad seriously and are continually striving to improve our facilities and service.
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Our previous accommodation booked a rental car for us at Jetover Motel. We requested a reliable good vehicle with air conditioning. The Jetover is in the industrial part of Savaii. Its right near the wharfs and its not the nicest part of Samoa by any stretch of the imagination. The ferry wharf is here, as is the bakery, supermarket and about 5 minutes drive away is the market. But don't stay there - its not clean, its like any wharf area. Go further north.
The rental car we were given was a very ancient left hand drive. It looked like the jetover staff vehicle as it had jetover hotelwriting on the outside. It wasn't clean and fuel tank was only 3/4 full. The gear gox was shot. Driving around the island with a left hand drive vehicle is hazardous - especially trying to pass as you can't see the oncoming traffic.
We didn't feel comfortable in the reception area at Jetover at all. The lady/men reception staff were too busy pinching each others bottoms (in front of my teenage son who would have defended himself if they came any closer) and were looking at us and laughing. I found them very disrespectful (We never encouraged this in any other part of Samoa and actually found the people very genuine and friendly).

Ironically we saw only of the men/lady staff when we were driving around and they were in a very nice vehicle. I think we were shafted here and they gave us the clapped out old staff vehicle and they used the rental car for themselves.

To its credit - the car didn't break down but we wouldn't have been surprised if it did. But I would check any car details and type on the phone before confirming a rental. Minimum ask for air conditioning, right hand drive, and ask the age. It was convenient to walk 5 minutes from the wharf to get the car and return. But there is absolutely no way I would stay at this motel. I didn't feel safe.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salelologa
The Savaiian Hotel
Stevenson's at Manase
Le Lagoto Resort & Spa
Le Lagoto Resort & Spa
#2 of 15 in Savai'i

Been to Jet Over Hotel? Share your experiences!