“Va-i-Moana was the highlight of our holiday...”

Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Asau
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Va-i-Moana was the highlight of our holiday in Samoa. We loved everything about this beautiful seaside lodge, from it's welcoming and friendly atmosphere to the genuine warmth and hospitality shown to us by the management and staff. For a small 3 star lodge the care and service we received was superior to any 5 star accommodation we have experienced. We will be back.... for the atmosphere, for the food, for the beautiful surroundings, the snorkelling, the kayaking, but most of all, for the people. Thank you to Rosie and her amazing team... Nu'u, Tilli, Tapu, Lilo, Pora, Nai, Sara, Luma, Taka, Tau, the chef and everyone else.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heartsong1
There are newer reviews for Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge

Reviewed June 18, 2014

My partner and I were cycling around Savai'i and were recommended this resort, we were not disappointed. We stayed in a lovely room overlooking the sea and close to the clean and tidy communal bathroom. The staff were excellent, very friendly and looked after us well. They remembered our names and always called us by them. We enjoyed the food and the whole restaurant setting overlooking the ocean was great. We have already decided that a return trip to Samoa would definitely include a stay here. We would definitely recommend Va-i-Moana.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

If you head to Samoa you must go to Savaii!! My favorite place to feel relaxed and to get refreshed from it all. I had heard about Vai-i-moana and decided to do a road trip with some girl friends. The little beach and the view were superb-I slept on the hammock on the pier and awoke to beauty of creation. The service was nice and the food was good. I loved the atmosphere, that I could choose a spot to read and relax or take a dip or challenge myself, if I wanted to...you can swim to a floating platform in the sea or across to a deserted island or use the kayak instead. Good for a family or group of friends wanting to getaway by the sea with a few things to offer for entertainment. If you are like me and love to know about the culture and history of people it's good to have someone with you while you go around the island to tell you of the deep history of Savaii or get a book in Upolu from the Samoa Tourism Authority to help you out. You won't just admire the beauty of Savaii but truly appreciate the place, the people and their history. Thank you Vai-i-moana for my last weekend in Samoa, I totally enjoyed it - I will be back and hope others will stop in and stay with you!!

Room Tip: There are different types of room for different people- you can have an air con room, basic Fale sty...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was exceptional value, good snorkeling provided at 10 tala per person or use the kayak to access the best coral gardens i have seen in Samoa. Fishing was great, both from the charter and from the beach. Excellent sunsets.
My family and i were spoilt by the staff and Sale the owner we intended to stay 5 days but ended up staying 11. The babies were taken care off during meals and nothing was to difficult for the staff.
We will definately be back for another perfect holiday.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side get a good sunset view. The cottages on the east side would also get a go...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank rick k
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Hi stayed here with friends at the end of our holiday as a cheaper option for some of our holiday, probably should of stayed here first as our friends were a bit disappointed, But hey this place is more than adequate for a relaxing holiday there is no pretence that they are a hi end resort, In samoa there is a quite a difference between the top Accommodation and the lower end.. For the price It is a good balance. , the Meals at night were well presented but after a few days we went for a drive so we could order ourselves for a bit of variation this is not a reflection on the meals but there is not a lot around Asau. The staff here were very good and always trying to help. Infact were exceptional as my wife who sometimes struggles with the heat because of her health a couple of the staff went out of the way to help her,..But were all helpful.
Just enjoy this place for what it is and relax

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I was on holiday and spent 5 nights here and have to say the location and the staff made this paradise! The staff went out of there way for me. The lobster was absolutley divine! They even made me a cake for my birthday and all sang! I have to say I will definetly be back at some point! Thanks to Sale and the team! Carlos.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank duncanh599
Reviewed April 25, 2014

First the bad
We just celebrated our first anniversary in Samoa and our first stop was Vaimoana. Booked months ago into a sunset fale, as it has always been a wish of ours to stay over water. When we arrived after a very long travel we found that there was a mix up with bookings and we would not be getting the sunset fale. We later spoke to the people who received these rooms and it would seem that there bookings were made much much later than ours, only they arrived first.

we were moved to another room that was incredibly noisy, not on the water and did not feel romantic or private due to the large amount of children running around all sides of it yelling into the evening and again from early morning.
We were moved to a better room for the next two nights, but no hot water, not very clean, stains on towels and chairs, all added to the disappointment of already not getting the room we booked and paid a deposit on months previous.

The good
incredibly friendly staff who speak to you by first name after your first encounter and an absolutely wonderful surprise of our dinner on the last night being set up on a private table by the water, complete with candle light and some bubbles as a gift from staff. This was lovely and really appreciated

i would like to be able to recommend this place based on the staff and the way they went out of their way to make our last night really special, but due to the booking issue, and losing the room to what seemed like some last minute travellers I don't think that I can. Having looked through some previous reviews I can see that this hasn't been an isolated incident where existing bookings are overlooked for another and i personally won't be staying here again.

If not for the friendly staff and the dinner I would have rated this much much lower. the stay, sans the staff and dinner would likely have been a 1.

Room Tip: hope they honour your booking. rooms in the centre priced higher but no view and noisy. although our...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeeW00d
saleimoa, Manager at Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank You for your review and feedback as we value what your visit and experience with us, in helping us improve our services. We again apologise for the issues with your booking as we have over and over again during your visit. All our efforts and attempts to apease and make up for our oversight seemed in vain. We upgraded your accommodation , attended issues with shower and organise a beautiful dinner with complimentary champagn(not from staff) to make your visit and anniversary special, at our expense. Your visit coincided with easter weekend and we had a full house with a few children in house which made easter very special. High end resorts have a 'no children' policy but Va-i-Moana is a family run business and cherish all families with children.

We offer no excuses and again regret your visit with us was not to your liking, as every visitors experience is not the same as the others and fully dependent on the individuals expectations. Va-i-Moana is a budget accommodation and not a 3 or 5 star resort and we have developed over the last 5 years to cater for our customers needs but we have always asked for your help and feedback during your visit to help us improve or fix any issues you have during your stay. We have a new reservations manager in training (previous manager resigned, hence double booking) and should avoid future booking issues. We have started a vigorous cleaning training regime for our housekeeping as we have a lot of new staff, to improve servicing and cleaning of rooms. We thank you again for your feedback and hopeful you may visit us again to see improvements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Asau
The Savaiian Hotel
Lusia's Lagoon Chalets
Lusia's Lagoon Chalets
#1 of 4 in Salelologa
Stevenson's at Manase

Been to Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge? Share your experiences!