See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 29, 2017

The room we were given - Family Bungalow - was fit for perhaps only a family of mice. It was in such poor condition that I asked to change. Nothing else left we were told. Could I stay just 2 of the 3 nights booked? 'No' we were told. We were hassled into paying up front, even during our meal. The bed was hard, the sheets stained and torn, the pillows brick-like in comfort. The shower did not work - the holes in the shower head so clogged that the cold water dripped through the PVC pipe connecting it. No soap in the shower.
No mosquito net was provided, despite every screen on the windows being torn. The glass louvres were filthy. There was ant-rid everywhere. The toilet mat totally gross. No overhead fan - just a faulty rusted wall fan which ran on one setting only - full speed and noisy. Tea/coffee making facilities amounted to a kettle - no tea, coffee, milk, sugar, cups. No inside chair or table to sit at, no bedside table or lamp either. No bar fridge.
Such was the degree of decrepidness, I contacted the manager of Stevensons and arranged a last minute room at 9:00pm. We paid to stay there for 2 of our 3 nights ON TOP of what we had already paid Vacations, and would have stayed a 3rd might at Stvensons had a room been available. (Read my review of Stevensons)
The noise at Vacations was ridiculous. The Family Bungalow is by the entry to the hotel and the roadside, and directly adjacent to another property with open Fales. A partly demolished building is the wonderful view from the bedroom window. The family staying next door was so close we could hear every word - every screaming, yelling, giggling word. We asked the 'security' to request they be quiet to no avail. Ironically, on the night we had to go back and stay here, so reluctantly, that same security guard and his friends sat up playing cards and talking loudly most of the night - thanks guys!
The food was ok in the Samoan context. Lower all expectations, however. There is a bar of sorts, but don't get excited. You can't sit anywhere nice near it. No lounge chairs or the like, for example. If you ask, they'll set up the table and chairs on the deck. There are 3. If you like loud, cheesy, nightclub music, then this is the bar for you. The eating area is otherwise an enclosed room - think school camp mess hall.
The beach is ok, but nowhere near as pretty or as well kept as other areas/hotels. There are NO STAIRS to access the beach - you have to clamber down over a rock retaining wall. If you have bad knees or ankles, forget it.
The staff employed were friendly and overall doing their best. The owner is clearly raking it in - this is an expensive place at all levels of accomodation - and he is not reinvesting much at all as far as I can see. The whole place looks tired and run down. The showers right at the front of the beachfront Fales are covered in mould. I find it hard to believe other reviewers could be blind to the disparity between what you pay and what you get. It is quite bizarre. If you must stay in this area, spend even more and stay elsewhere. This is definitely the worst room I have ever stayed in over 28 years of travel across 15 countries, mostly in 3rd world and developing nations. And I paid $200AU per night.

Room Tip: None - go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rick C
Reviewed March 11, 2017 via mobile

The accomodation included breakfast and dinner and they made sure that we didn't starve. I was a bit skeptic about the fale being weather proof but it held up securely during some heavy rain. Right on a nice swimming beach and a fellow aussie paddled out for a surf. The staff we really lovely.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank June G
Reviewed February 22, 2017 via mobile

Basically the fales were a fale you can't get more to the roots than that. To be honest I was really nervous about staying the 2 nights but we did fine. What was the best about our stay was the food. We arrived at dinner time and surprised to find that we get dinner as part of our booking. We weren't expecting much but to our surprise they served us a home cooked type dinner made with absolute love you could taste it. Breakfast was the same.

The beach had recently undergone a change as they built wind breakers to apparently bring in more sand I think? And they had risen the bank side so the fales look like they have been elevated. the beach now isn't easily accessible but we managed. I found there's 2 ways to get down, 1 with the steps onto the rocks and one on the sandy side at the last end of the fales- we always went down that end.

I noticed how beautiful the place looked prior to the renovations and how lovely it would've been to be a step away from the sea but after experiencing a stormy night I very quickly appreciated the new rock bed.

I recommend this place to be for back packers, singles. We went with my 70 year mother she had a fale to herself, she was fine and my 10 month old. She was fine also but I think it would be had my husband and I went alone.

All in all we had a fantastic stay, Semi the reception/host is very friendly and went out of way to help us. Mau is a very great cook.

If you want to experience the Island life with Samoan food stay here you won't regret it

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Teura M
Reviewed December 4, 2016

Nearly 2 weeks ago we spent a night in Vacations Beach Fales during our tour of Savai'i as the only guests that day and we loved it. The owner was friendly and the woman (her name is Fa'afatai, which means Thank You) who cooked for us and prepared our fale was very nice. She made us an amazing dish of mashed potatoes, fish in cream sauce and steamed vegetables. The amenities were clean and our fale was right on the beach, which meant the washing waves came almost up to the deck of the hut.

Room Tip: Some fales have extra (single) beds and table & cairs, so ask for that if you're travelling with more than 2 people.
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2016

first time staying in a Fale so pretty excited, the Fale themselves were fine although the beds were very hard, they were doing a lot of work with access to the beach and building rock wall, I had some older family members with me who just could not get down to the water and had to sit up on the seats and watch us swim, this was very disappointing, the staff were very nice and the BBQ dinner was amazing, breakfast was included in our stay also and this was also very nice, i would say in a years time the access to the water would be finished.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family