“Beautiful Savaii Lagoon Resort”

Savaii Lagoon Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Savai'i
Reviewed October 6, 2011

If you’re looking for the most perfect sunset, hospitable staff and a picturesque beach, Savaii Lagoon Resort is most definitely the place to be! We were greeted warmly on arrival by managers Tony and Melissa - who might I add were wonderfully helpful and very personable throughout our stay. The bungalows were clean and presented beautifully, we had everything we needed. The beach was everything you’d envisage a tropical island would deliver – golden sand, calm, clear water – bliss! After taking a day to drive around the island, I must say there’s something about this beach that was like no other, how lucky we were to literally have it right on our doorstep.
The restaurant has a beautiful aesthetic, right on the beach with friendly and efficient staff. The menu includes traditional and western meals, all of which were delicious and reasonably priced. During our stay we were lucky enough to have a Fiafia night where we were served a buffet meal, followed by a dynamic and extremely entertaining show of traditional Samoan song and dance – this was definitely a highlight...amongst so many highlights! I completely recommend Savaii Lagoon Resort, it was amongst one of my favourite holiday destinations, and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnitraHayday

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Reading the recent reviews they have covered everything from the welcome when we arrived ,the beautiful beach/location,the accommodation,the lovely friendly staff,fresh fruit smoothies,evening meals.We came to Somoa with no expectations and left feeling really relaxed,and would certainly recommend to friends if required.
The trip around the Island was fun as we went with 2 other couples we met.
We enjoyed the clear clean warm water,the banana beach chairs just out our door with shade.
The unit was simple just what we wanted,and we loved the "outdoor" shower.Air con was fans and open windows.
We tried the Pizza from next door which was delicious,and liked the way we joined in with the next door Resort for RWC watching,also BBQ night.
We spent 6 nights at Savaii Lagoon Resort before crossing on the small ferry (which was an experience but wouldnt recommend it)to spend a night in Apia before flying home.
Tony & Melissa are doing a great job and we wish them every success with their Photography work.

Room Tip: We had Unit 4.
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We loved our time here. Special people Tony and Melissa.....
A most beautiful beach/location ...but what makes the difference is the people who run it and the staff they have trained to have the same attitude and quality.
They just went the extra mile for us and organised a special romantic meal on the beach watching the sun go down for our wedding aniversary. Flowers and heart shaped coasters and complimentary cocktails....which was generous....Our camera battery died at the wrong time so he went and got his own camera and took photos of us....Hes a photographer actually as well so if you need some photos taken of your family you could book him up while you are there. I heard that Melissa does makeup as well so between the two of them they can look after it all for you.
Staying there I felt like i was catching up with extended family that I havent seen for ages...we met so many nice people staying there too.
Great snorkling there too... and nice fresh food....wonderful fresh fruit smoothies - the best we had.....

Room Tip: studio had a nice shady porch but if you want a newer unit maybe the other beachfront ones would be...
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Our holiday in Samoa was during September 2011. We took the Lady Samoa 3 ferry from Upolu to Savaii (trip time one hour), in airconditioned comfort (business class) and spent
9 nights at Savaii Lagoon Resort. On arrival, we were greeted by Tony, who spent time explaining all we needed to know about the resort during our stay. We found the accommodation to be exactly what we wanted... simple; (air conditioning consists of fan and open windows with flywire screens), and we like to do a little self-catering, so were happy to find a microwave oven, electric frypan, toaster and kettle, the fridge already stocked with milk for our cuppa. There was a small shop directly opposite, which sold basics such as bread, butter etc.

The restaurant served up a splendid breakfast... tropical fruit platter or fruit smoothie followed by good coffee and toast with jam. The menu for dinner was posted up on the blackboard, generally an entree and two choices for main course, and was changed every day. The food, which was always made with locally sourced ingredients, was fresh and delicious. There was also the choice of dining at the restaurant next door, or pizza nearby.

Tony and Melissa's concern for the conservation and protection of the reef meant we could only take the paddle boats out two hours either side of high tide, however, there was a deep swimming hole in front of the next resort, meaning we had only to walk 100 metres to swim at any time. This natural, crystal clear pool teemed with fish, had a sandy bottom, was easily the size of an olympic pool, was two metres deep at low tide (in the centre) and was right by the edge of the beach. The water was just between warm and refreshing... just how we like it! Staff raked and sieved the sand every morning maintaining the beach in pristine condition, and we were pleased that the resort was small and personal enough to give each guest plenty of space. There were plenty of banana lounges under shade fales, 2 kayaks, and 2 aluminium rowboats for free use by resort guests.

Tony and Melissa made us feel very welcome, almost like family. They have trained their staff well, nothing was too much trouble, and we have no hesitation in recommending this beautiful resort... one of the world's unspoilt places!

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aussieislanders
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My hubby and I have just returned from our 6th holiday to Samoa, but our first trip to savaii lagoon! But I can tell you it wont be the lst, we loved it, so will be back for sure.
On arrival we were greeted by the manager Tony and he gave us a complete tour around the resort (pointing our how dinner is organised, safe areas and tides for snorkelling, etc introducing us to staff we met along the way, it was a lovely introduction to the resort and we were made to feel very welcome)
The resort is small, which I love, I like staying in smaller places were your not just a number. Its right on an incredible beach, and even at low tide, when the swimming not good, you can just walk over to lelagoto and they have a water hole in the beach, so you can swim at any time of the day!
There is great snorkelling with turtles ( we didn’t see any turtles this time, but other guests did!) The rooms are all very large with tiles floors, celing fans ( no air con, but at night it wasn’t a problem, the only time I would of turned on the air con, if available was one day we had an afternoon nap, but it was fine with the fans). Rooms have kitchens in them, all spotlessley clean, and everything you need if you wanted to cook. The bathrooms were large with hot and cold water! Really nice.
The restaurant is a new addition and it’s fabulous, right on the beach, with amazing sunset views, they have a pizza oven, little bar area. As it’s a small resort they have come up with a wonderful idea re meals, they don’t open at lunch time ( but don’t stress there are other options very close, such as seki pizza, incredible thin crusted pizza, about $20 tala, or lelegoto resort right next door) . So The meal choices are displayed in the morning , you get to choose from one entrée and 2 mains, prices were so reasonable ( $35 tala for lobster, other mains were around the $30 tala mark) I guess its better to offer to choices that they can do well and that way everything is so fresh. All food is sourced for local ingredients if possible, the chef, a Samoan women has completed her hospitality course and really is a wonderful cook.
Breakfast is a fruit platter or smoothie and toast.
Water – this is safe to drink at savaii lagoon, this was the first in Samoa (? only) the owners installed a UV treatment. And the best thing!! Is that they have a tap that the local people can come and access free safe water! For me things like that mean so much, it is wonderful that the owners really wanted to give back and be part of the community.
There are free kayaks / little boats (dinghies?) they have wonderful beach umbrella style shades with the pandanus leaved roofs, along the beach with beach lounges to relax on. Dive savaii is just across the road, and they offer dive or snorkle tours, we didn’t go out with them this time, but have been out on both dive and snorkel tours in the past and highly recommend them.
The mangers Tony (photographer ) and Melissa ( make up artist) are truly wonderful people, they are incredible friendly hosts, but not in your face, they have a wonderful helpful knowledge of Samoa, especially savaii, you can see they have a great rapport with all the staff, and the staff are wonderful.
There is nothing negative I could say apart from I wish I stayed longer! We loved staying here and will be back.
I highly recommend this place its good for couples, would be great for group of friends, and also excellent for families. It you want a stunning beach with amazing clear water, want to snorkel or just relax on the beach, enjoy great food , in a small relaxed resort then I am sure you will love it, its not fancy or OTT, its simple but sometimes the simple things are the best! And I found it perfect for us

1  Thank sasa73
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from our first trip to Samoa. Not really sure what to expect we spent 6 nights at the SLR (following recommendations from fellow trip advisor experiences and a friend recent visit). I'd been trying to book a bed in this small resort and luckily someone canceled and we managed to get a room.
Greeted by fantastic sstaff led by fellow kiwis Melissa and Tony their relaxed professionalism is top notch and we very quickly realised this was going to be an enjoyable stay.
Examples include giving me medicine following dodgy lunch at another resort, 4 superb dinners, delicious fruit smoothies for breakfast, Tony's map of tourist attractions on Savaii, great location with water about 10 steps from our door with great safe reef.
Oh and did I mention the food? Opened a few months ago they have a small restaurant where you need to pre book with only one entree option and two mains (which may not be to everyone's liking) we had great food which used fresh local produce like tuna and fresh water prawns in local salads. I was very jealous yesterday morning when we saw the menu and couldn't stay to sample.
No I'm not a friend of anyone on staff or the NZ owners but I definitely know we'd be welcomed back and I will be telling my friends to stay.
yes there will be people that won't think it's their cup of tea but if you like relaxed professional atmosphere then stop by for a visit and yes it's a destination in my books.
Photos to follow!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Kiwicossie
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My mum and I stayed at two resorts on our Holiday in Samoa, Lavasa on Upolo and Savaii Lagoon Resort in Savaii. I have to say that Savaii Lagoon resort is everything we wanted and more. It's relaxing, quiet, right by the beach, the facilities were simple but made beautiful, and the people were the most hospitable, friendliest, loveliest people you'll meet. They made us feel extra special and like family, as they add that extra touch of chatting to you, making you feel looked after and welcome.
As for the location, its like paradise, beauitful thatched umbrella's to lie under and read a book, and you can swim at any tide as there is a lovely deep pool.
The snorkling is also amazing as there is so many fish it's like being in an aquarium! Highly recommend this resort, and I guarantee you'll love it.

Room Tip: Make sure you have one with a fan or air conditioning as it gets very hot! The Savaii Lagoon Resort...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family