So, it took a while to get myself to write this review, but its freezing in Sydney and the firewood and blankets have come out in full force, so I am reliving through this review an incredible memory of Le Lagoto Resort.
I haven't been to Savaii since I was 12yo and its been too long, I don't even recall what it looked like.
It was a Friday afternoon (April 19th) and I left Apia with two girlfriends for a quick getaway - one of my girls was de-stressing before a major Telco conference and the other was saying goodbye for a while as she was moving overseas. Me, I live in Sydney and wanted a break from the fast lane and dusty roads of Apia!!
The boat ride over was crazy!! We were parked next to the engine room so we got all the heat and the fumes arrrgggghhh!!! But an hour seemed so quick surprisingly and before we knew it, we docked and were driving off to our date with paradise.
I had seen pictures of how beautiful the Savaii coastline was, but nothing prepared me for the sight of the white sandy beaches at dusk, the smells of the evening fires and and the echoes of family evening prayers! They all acted to lull us into this state of calm and zen so that when we pulled in to the resort, we were blank canvases ready for the experiences to be imprinted into out tired and weary bodies.
First up - cocktails at the bar and the most beautiful pizza I have had anywhere!! Bar none. And I had pizza all over Australia, NZ, Italy, France, New York, LA - tall ask you say? Even in Italy? Ya!! Antika from the pizzeria across the road (also owned by the daughter of the owner), wafer thin, mozzarella, pastrami, salami, tomatoes, basil. Ahem. Wafer thin. No taste of flour at all - heaven in a box cut into 8 slices and gone in less than 60 seconds!!
After much ado about the many cocktails and the pizza, we got into the pool - only three of us plus the moon and the stars which did their magic because all the stresses of Apia, Sydney, Pago Pago, Auckland seemed soooooo far away!!
We walked back to our 2 bedroom apartment taking dibs on the remaining two large Antikas (this review is about food right?) and after a great nights sleep, we woke to the sound of silence. And it was beautiful. No cars. No noise. Distant birds chirping. The sounds of the waves lapping against the foreshore. I slipped out to take some early morning pics and it was just perfect like I imagined it in my dreams.
After a continental breakfast of fruits and pancakes, we went touring all the way down to Palauli for a swim at the legendary Afu Aau Falls and it was pissing down with rain so we could not wait to get back to Le Lagoto. It was like a cocoon of warmth hospitality and inviting staff waiting to take care of you. Dinner was fish. Choose the fish. It was beautifully cooked, and I had the home made juice - they take the juice of a baby coconut with its flesh, blended it with half a pawpaw and some lime juice and then served it in the coconut shell (see pic). Super delicious and a super healthy for those vegans who want something other than water.
The most memorable thing about Le Lagoto Resort - the staff!! They anticipate everything you want and do it with a smile. And the setting? Watching the sun set over the horizon in Fagamalo? Wow.
Bring some friends. Or a partner. Luggage of worries, stress and weary bodies expected because there is a Spa onsite!
Le Lagoto Resort? In your dreams!!! And Mine!! So what are you waiting for? See you next time Gabby and Derek and thank you for your kindest and legendary Samoan hospitality.
FV, LB, & YB
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Lagoto Resort & Spa is located on the big island of Savai'i, Samoa, on a secluded white sand beach, fringed by coconut palms and crystal clear water. We are a boutique resort with 10 Samoan-style bungalows and two family rooms -- each offering the modern conveniences of a large resort in an intimate, idyllic setting. It is with good reason, and much pride, that we take the name Le Lagoto -- Samoan for 'sunsets' -- as ours are truly sensational! As we say here, 'you haven't been to Samoa unless you are in Savai'i'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Le Lagoto Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Lagoto Beach Hotel Savai`i
- Le Lagoto Resort & Spa Samoa