“I did not want to leave :-)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savai'i
Lauiula Beach Fales
Auckland
“I did not want to leave :-)”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Lauiula was my favourite place in Samoa. I stayed in a couple of different beach fales which were good, but I really liked this one. The fales are nice, weatherproof, close to the beautiful beach and reef. If you leave your front 'window' open, you wake up with an amazing sunrise over the ocean each morning. The hosts are really friendly and helpful, and cook a huge breakfast and dinner for you every day. I especially liked the fact that there are books and snorkeling gear to use for free. I stayed at Lauiula for about 10 days, and did lots of snorkeling and reading (in other places usually no books and you pay snorkeling gear every day).
I rented a car with some other guests one day to drive around Savai'i. The owner, Richard, was very helpful in arranging this and pointing out where to go. We also got a good explanation about how the uma works and how palusami is made, followed by some excellent palusami of course :-).
If you like beach fales, this is the place to go in Savai'i!
I have to agree with a previous writer, toilet facilities are quite basic, but that is very often with beach fale accommodation.
Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Lore_123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the traditional beach fales. The cost included breakfast, dinner and accommodation and was very good value. We enjoyed snorkelling off the beach. Just remember this is basic accommodation - the showers are basic and cold and a toilet. I loved watching the moon set and sun rise from the bed. The only grip was the road which is close by and the noisey buses coming past at 3am in the morning.
The food was great - although bar selection was depleted while we were there. If you are going to Samoa I highly recommend you stay in the beach fales for a couple of nights at least. Hosts, Richard and Mafi are lovely people.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oslo
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My two friends and I spent three nights here and that was a truly great experience. The location and facilities are beautiful placed perfectly on the beach and the owner Richard and his family are such nice and helpfull people! They helped us plan and arrange the rest of our trip in Samoa right before we left, and it made everything so much easier for us! They also let us join their trip into to village to watch a Samoan concert and dance which was really cool! And they have the best banana in the world!! I really recommend these fales!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Fuerth, Germany
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We only had two nights at Lauiula Beach Fale, but they were by far the best (after having spent ten days in Samoa and seen Lalomanu etc.). Richard and his family treat you like family and the vibe of the place is so relaxed and peaceful that we were really sad to leave and can't wait to return one day...
If you look for an authentic accomodation in Samoa, pick this one: the Fales are traditional, the food delicious and a bargain for the price!
Thanks Richard, you really made our stay in Samoa perfect and we will always remember our time at Lauiula Beach Fales!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cheapest fales which are quite basic, but where else can you sleep so close to the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stayed at Lauiula Beach Fales with my family - 6 adults in all, qw stayed for 3 days. First of all that beach is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, white sand, clear blue water. We stayed in 3 beach fales, each with mosquito nets, mattresses, and clean bedding.

The fales are simple and tidy, there is a power outlet in each for you to use to charge your gadgets, by the door near the light switch. The fales are right on the water when the tide comes in, the beach is superb. The area is private, there were not too many guests when I stayed. Salanoa & his family & staff are wonderful hosts. They were attentive and very warm. The food was awesome fresh, delicious samoan food. The price is outstanding, meals included. The snorkeling is great, plenty of fish & coral around.

I highly recommend this for people who want a serene, simple, beautiful, uncluttered escape. This place will stay close to my heart forever. If I ever feel the need to disappear from my from a high stress & hectic city life in the future, and withdraw from it all, this is where I'll come.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Canberra, AU
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Lauiula Beach Fales are certainly not luxurious accommodation, but we had a great time there and met some nice people among our fellow guests. It was good value and the rate included a nice breakfast which the owner's wife cooked every morning.

My wife booked this accommodation for us to celebrate a 'milestone' birthday for me. We stayed 4 nights there after initially spending 3 nights at a resort on Upolu. After that we took our rental car on the ferry to Savai'i. Lauiula Beach Fales consists of a central building which serves as a restaurant and bar as well as eight or nine fales. 'Fale' is Samoan for 'house', and these are very basic accommodations. Ours was the only lockable fale - most are open at the sides except for blinds woven from coconut fronds that can be lowered for privacy at night or when it rains hard enough to warrant it.

Our fale was perhaps two or three metres from the water, depending on the
tide. Most of Samoa is surrounded by a coral reef which acts as a breakwater. Where we stayed the reef was only a few hundred metres offshore and we could hear the surf crashing against it. Inside the reef the surf is very gentle and it is shallow enough that you could walk
all way out to the reef. We went snokelling a few times - there are nice tropical fishes to be seen.

Our host Richard was a wonderful guy who told us all kinds of interesting things about Samoa and their way of life, myths and legends etc. He taught us how to husk a coconut and how to
squeeze oil from the meat of the coconut. Knowing it was my birthday, Richard organized an 'Umu' - a Samoan feast similar to a Maori hangi or the Hawaiian luau. This involves the killing of a suckling pig, I was worried for a while that as the guest of honor I might given the 'privilege' of cutting its throat! Turns out they apparently dispatch it by drowning instead.

The pig is cooked using hot stones (inside its chest cavity as well as packed around its body) and served along with taro (similar to potato) as well as coconut milk wrapped in taro leaves and cooked alongside the pig. We were shown all these preparations and the various steps in the process. We also had a kava ceremony in which we were taught the correct
way of passing the kava cup, with one person acting as the chief and refilling the cup and passing it to the next person. Kava is supposedly mildly narcotic and is traditionally taken at any formal event. Kava is like muddy water and didn't seem to have much effect on us apart from making our lips go numb and maybe helping us sleep well afterwards...

Anyway it was a nice night for the birthday celebrations. Richard said grace and made a nice speech which I responded to. Another guy from his village played Samoan songs on the guitar and sang. All in all it was a very memorable night.

As I say, the fales are very basic accommodation but are located in a Samoan village and there is not really any 'commercial' or 'touristy' development nearby -- just a few local shops. For us it was a wonderful experience and we were very happy with our stay.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Positives:
Staff were friendly, helpful, humble.
Good cultural show. 30 tala extra per person and this all goes to help out the local village.
Good dining fale.
Nice fales right on the beach.
Good snorkelling

Negatives:
Shower/toilet facilities very basic, but hey that's Savai'i!
Beer prices were the highest in Savai'i.
Snorkelling: it's a LONG way out to the reef. Other locations have way better access, but this place is fine.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends