“lol...it's way out in the sticks!”

Hacienda Primavera Wilderness Ecolodge
Ranked #3 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Ibarra
England, United Kingdom
“lol...it's way out in the sticks!”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This ecolodge (not really sure what's so ecologically friendly about it, but never mind!) is about 5.5 hrs from Quito (the guide makes lots of stops so who knows what it would take if taken w/out stops) near the Columbian border. You may very well be the only guests in the hotel. The economy in Ecuador is pretty poor (24 roses cost $1.25 for example) so it's worth it for them to open the hotel for 2 guests. The lodge is really nice and quaint and the views from the bedrooms amazing! There isn't a whole lot to do there besides ride horses though.
I'm happy I went for the 4 days I was there, but probably wouldn't go back, just 'cause it's so far from the city and there isn't that much to do.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed 2 nights in December and it was a great experience. We felt welcomed into a personal home, and the staff was attentive and friendly. The driver / tour guide made sure that our days were filled with activities. The food cooked by the on-premises chef was excellent.

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank CommerceValleyFoodie
New Hampshire
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I spent six nights at the Hacienda Primavera commencing November 28th 2008. The property has been in the owner's family for over 90 years. There are eight rooms and four employees.

The setting is magnificent - surrounded by cloud forest and mountains. Local activities include horseback riding, jungle trekking, train rides, bird watching, swimming and white water rafting.

Food is first rate.

All the employees are absolutely wonderful. They couldn't be more helpful.

Prices include everything aside from alcohol. Value is terrific!

• Liked — The employees are absolutely first class!!!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank USAinnkeeper
charleston, sc
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My sister had heard about this place and we decided to give it a try. The journey there had us wondering where exactly we were going, we were in the middle of nowhere! However, upon arrival they had specialty drinks waiting for us along with table for dinner. We got to choose our rooms (the views were breathtaking), and were greeted like long lost friends. We stayed up drinking, playing music, and cards with the staff (they were drinking soda). I have worked in many fine 5 star hotels, and pride myself in living in one of the most hospitable cities in the U.S and NEVER have I seen such top notch service, and hospitality as I did in La Hacienda Primavera.

• Liked — The service, the view, the staff, not having to "check in"
  • Disliked — how close the vehicle comes from the side of a cliff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
South Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2008

Wow, what can I say? This was a wonderful experience that I highly recommend should your travels bring you to this area.

We hired a car through Hacienda Primavera to pick us up in Quito. The drive to the Hacienda sort of scared me at first but ended up being the most beautiful ride and well worth the three hour trip.

The rooms offered amazing views and the Innkeeper allowed us to pick out our own rooms when we arrived. Speaking of the Innkeeper, Patricio went above and beyond anything I've experienced. He took us fishing, hiking and horseback riding. He shared stories with us and made us feel like family.

The food was wonderful, plentiful and fresh.
Patricio, Pedro, Juan and Bryon are great assets to the Hacienda Primavera.

I plan to return and highly recommend this lodge. It is a gorgeous place in a very comfortable atmosphere with an unforgettable staff. My next visit will be at least a few days longer.
I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Enjoy!

• Liked — natural setting, great views of the Andes and the staff
  • Disliked — The fact that I had to leavE
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ontheroad051
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We went to Ecuador for my 30th birthday and this was by far the highlight. We ended up staying an extra night because we loved it so much we couldn't bring ourselves to leave!

The Hacienda offers truly beautiful, comfortable surroundings, delicious food and incomparable service. What I find hardest to capture in writing is how it managed to have all this but I never felt like I was in a swanky misplaced tourist spot. It's tough to call the fancy hacienda in the middle of the mountains "authentic" yet that is exactly how it feels. Perhaps that is because of how isolated and low-key it is. Or perhaps it is because everyone who works there has grown up in the surrounding community and were able to bring that very much alive to me as we walked in the mountains on a quest for waterfalls or rode horses into the surroundings villages (though I should say that to make the most of the cultural piece of staying here, speaking at least some spanish (we do) is helpful). At night, we enjoyed listening to the raging river while eating a gourmet meal or playing cards and I just felt total tranquility.

Hacienda Primavera is definitely off the beaten track....the journey from Quito by bus takes over 5 hours and takes you into a very remote part of northeastern Ecuador (we took the later bus and have to admit it was a little nerve wrecking - though looking back we laugh at ourselves -once it was pitch black outside and we were in the jungle). For those who want a little less adventure in their lives, the hotel will also pick you up in Quito for $100/carload one way.

There is no place in Ecuador I would more highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tepirby
New York City
Reviewed May 16, 2007

We just spent five days in paradise. Once you get beyond the three hour drive from Quito (have them pick you up; you don't want to drive on these dirt roads) you are in one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the food is excellent. We hiked, rode the horses, milked cows, etc., but you can also just spend the day in a hammock with a book. We mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary and were surpised by a cake and a huge bunch of flowers in our room. A real highlight was a visit to the local school to deliver some school supplies we'd brought with us. Everybody we interacted with, even in our elementary Spanish, could not have been nicer.

• Liked — The hospitality of the people.
  • Disliked — Nobody spoke any English, which did create some difficulties.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple