“nice quiet hotel”
Review of Volcano Hotel

Volcano Hotel
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Banos
Reviewed August 12, 2011

although the hotel has little atmosphere, our room was good and clean, with comfartable big beds, a nice bathroom, plenty room for clothes and a safe. we had a topfloor room with a cozy second level. the swimmingpool is not heated but just right for a midday swim.
the location is great, close by center town but far enough not to hear the city noise. breakfast is buffet style, not very remarkable. the service is ok.
all in all a good hotel but nothing special.
Banos is a very nice active little town. we especially enjoyed the luxury of the thermal baths of luna runtun with a day ticket, and dinner with a view at the café de cielo! the view 400m over banos was spectacular!

Room Tip: topfloor rooms have a cozy second level
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank myriam28
There are newer reviews for Volcano Hotel

Reviewed April 23, 2011

(first, I'd like to apologize for the lengthy review, but I did take time and notes to thoroughly review this hoping to help tourists and hotel owners)

If you're arriving in Banos by bus, it's easy enough to get a cab from the bus terminal. If it's your first time going to the hotel, take a taxi. It's only $1. Don't pay over $1 anywhere in Banos. I heard that some cabbies will charge $2 when you ask them. But the staff in the hotel helped me and told me anywhere in Banos is only $1 so I don't ask anymore, I just give them $1.

In general, this hotel is the perfect place to stay in Banos. There are a few things that made me dock points from the 5 stars, but nothing that would keep me from staying here again. Review of Banos itself is in a separate place, and will most likely just be in my blog. Feel free to ask me questions about Banos or this hotel.

Unlike my hotel in Quito and various hotels in Galapagos, I actually spent some afternoons in my room, which is something I consider when reviewing a hotel.

1. Cleanliness - Very clean. I sometimes walk in with mud of dirt or sand on my shoes which I accidentally track through the bathroom and room, but when they clean the room, they're all gone.

2. Staff - Reviewing the staff for me is almost half of the review in itself. It can really make or break a review. The staff is wonderful. I spoke to Roberto the night before, and when I came in, he remembered talking to me. I spent my birthday in Banos, and when the cleaning / kitchen ladies found out it was my birthday, they took it upon themselves to throw a little celebration for me. We had cake, and sang, and all that. They also ask you about your itinerary, and you can ask them where to go. Some of their staff works in tour companies, so I asked him if there are discounts and he can recommend the better tour companies.
The staff speaks mostly Spanish, but I like it. They understand English well enough, but prefer to converse in Spanish. They don't lose points from for that because language was not an issue during my stay (and I don't speak Spanish).

3. Room - my room was at the top floor (Room 11). And I had the opportunity to switch rooms, but I declined since I really loved my room. I have a little balcony to look out in the morning. I don't like that that light switch isn't close to the bed so I have to get up and turn it off then walk back to bed. I spend a lot of time on my bed reading and just relaxing watching a movie so it's nice to just be able to reach over and turn the light off and not walk the cold floor. But this is really minor. The room also comes with a safebox, which is always great. The price of the room is perfect for what you get. Nothing too luxurious but definitely more than you'll ever need. This has a room across from it, but no rooms on either side, which makes it even quieter. :)
The room also has sufficient drawers and counter/table space for all my gears.

4. Bathroom - it comes with towels, toiletries, etc. I wasn't crazy about the shower pressure. It wasn't too weak, but but it wasn't strong either. I also like that there's an option to not have your towels laundered after every use. This way, you can save detergent and water.

5. Noise level - the location is perfect, it's tucked away just enough, but really close to the main square. You have to understand that Banos is so small you can just walk everywhere. The "main strip" (if you can call it that) is 2 blocks, but a block could be 1 or 2 small houses. The "distance" is perfect, and you're far from people who'll be partying loudly at night or from the noise from baths.
This is also only about 3 minute walk to the most popular thermal bath, Virgen Thermal Baths. You'll see it from your balcony, but you'll only barely hear the people yelling.
Now about the noise level in the hotel itself. another reason I didn't switch hotels is because I figured the top floor is the quietest and won't have to hear people walking. But the place has wooden floors, and noise WILL travel if you're loud. During my stay, I believe they had a full house but the noise level wasn't something that bothered me. BUT, when people have... um.. romantic trysts, you can hear them. I don't hear them in my room, but when I was downstairs by the lobby, I could hear them. And people walking around click-clacking their slippers can be heard all the way from upstairs. In the morning, when one of the staff (owner?) walks around with flip flops, and I'm just waking up, I know it's breakfast time because I hear her slippers. I used it as an alarm clock. It's NOT that loud, it's just that you can hear it when you listen.
Also, note that pretty much all the hotels/hostels in the area are this way, made of wooden floor so sound will travel.

Ok, so for things that they have room for improvement:
1. I chose this hotel specifically for the location and because it offered wifi. But...The wifi doesn't reach to the 3rd floor. So I go downstairs and use the internet. I'm an unusually heavy internet/computer user so this carried some weight for me. But while downstairs, it's almost a blessing because I get to talk to Roberto and the staff members. But when I'm down there at night, some guests look at me like my presence bother them to be on the computer while they pass by. I got a few curious looks.

2. Massage - it's worth the $25, but only because it's only $25. She's good at her type of massage, but it's not shiatsu or swedish massage. It's the kind that revitalizes your nerves (or something like that), but it's not really to unknot twisted muscles. Also, it's $25 so don't expect some dim relaxing room. It's not TOO bright, but it's not dark. It's small, so the smell of incense really covers the room. I asked her to turn the music off because it was some pop music that wasn't entirely relaxing. But the thing that really bothered me about the massage was that it was cold. I *THINK there was a heater but it's either not working or something because I said I was cold, but she said she'll use the blanket. But while she's rubbing oil on me, THAT part's not covered and I'm cold.
In summary, great masseuse, just not the kind of massage I wanted and it's a cold room. But it's $25 (and it's comprable to $25 massage in the U.S. not $25 in Ecuador which should carries more value).

I will definitely recommend this to any traveler. This is also quite a luxury from backpackers, and an average budget room for regular travelers. Only other hotel I considered was Runtun (I think that's the name). It's about $200+ a night and is geared more towards spa and relaxation. My purpose in Banos was for adventure and outdoor sports, so this was perfect for me. Plus $200 is way out of my budget, even if it's my birthday trip.

Also, and this may be the best piece of tip that I found in Banos. If you inform your receptionist in advance of when you'll be leaving and what time (especially if you're going back to Quito), there's a VIP shuttle service that's $20/person and you ride with other people and it takes you to your hotel in Quito instead of taking 2 buses back to Quito or 1 bus and 1 taxi. They didn't volunteer this information, but when I asked they said it's available but you have to tell them a day in advance. I wasn't able to find this service FROM Quito to Banos.

Hope it helps you decide on your hotel! :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank dirtinmyshoes
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We had a great stay at the Volcano hotel. The grounds are very beautiful with flowers and bright green hummingbirds. The staff was very kind to us; the owner came off as a bit brusque at first, but we actually found her to be very sweet and helpful throughout our trip. The other staff is kind and helpful. We found the restaurant service to be a bit slow, but the food is delicious once it comes. We slept the deepest here out of any place we stayed in Ecuador.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Hotel is good except the staff.

Good pool with no heating. Nice house with great view of Tungurahua volcano foothill.

Arrogant owner

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We stayed in Hotel Volcano in November 2009 on our Equador trip. It is definitely not a bad place to stay and has a decent cost-performance ration, just that it does not have much of atmosphere. The hotel is located in a very quite street, but still very close to the center and to the baths. The rooms a large and tastefully furnitured and also quite clean. The breakfast was also fine, but do not come too late as there is a risk that some of the food will not be available. We would recommend this place as we believe it to be one of the best options in Banos.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2010

What a great hotel for a great little city. Had a great time in Banos and the Volcano Hotel was a great place to crash while we were there for 3 days.

We had a 3 person room. Great view, clean, great mattress. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The internet was not working properly when we were there but we could do with out if for a few days. A block away from the public bathes and waterfall. 3 blocks away from the down town area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank KevinKo
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My wife, daughter, and I spent close to a week at this small pleasant hotel in Banos, Ecuador. We arrived as part of a wedding group, and stayed after the group left. The hotel is clean and the staff work very hard. The garden is pretty and there is a small swimming pool. There is a problem with room acoustics and when the hotel is full the sound travels loudly from room to room.

But my complaint is that when I got the bill the owner, just in from Quito, had increased the cost for the room without telling us. When i objected he implied that I was not telling the truth, and then said that we could have checked the rates on his web-site! What a joke. He refused to reduce the rate to the agreed on level that we had been paying as part of the wedding group. Just a small-time cheat. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family