“Not your average Hostel”
Review of La Posada del Arte

La Posada del Arte
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Banos
Reviewed August 13, 2010

One of the best hostels we've stayed in so far. We were here for two nights (Aug. 5&6). The place is very cozy. The main fireplace was popping,warm and inviting. There were guests sitting around it, leisurely reading. It was a very nice first impression. Jim, the proprietor is a quirky ol' fellow but friendly. I didn't particular cared for the dog sitting all over the furniture. We had three rooms-very different in appearance and character. One was in the main building-two beds with a fireplace and gardenview patio. It was charming and rustic, but needed to be updated, esp. the bath area...it smelled midewy. Maybe that's the norm, not sure. The other two rooms was located in the new adjacent building which is nearly completed. This is a nice size room on the second floor with a queen bed and french doors that opens to a partial view of the falls across the street. The last one was on the main floor with a private terrace and med.-sized room with double beds. They were comfortable.
We ate lunch and breakfast at the family restaurant. It was average at best. The location was away from the main street but not too far from shops restaurants and the likes, so that was nice. The baths are right around the corner, literally from here. Do try the Spa right next door. They're great!

In all, the price was reasonable (about $53.00 pp) and we had a good time for the most part.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank fuzzys11

Reviewed August 10, 2010

On our tour through Ecuador we stayed here and found it wonderful.
We had the feeling that we where visiting family because the owners are very relaxed.
You don't need to go out in town to eat because the son of the owners makes very good meals.
We had room 11 and it had a little balcony (well.... you could sit on the one chair that fitted).
I would recommend it to anybody who is planning to stay in Banos.
It's close to the baths so you can be the first to get in and in the evening it is very quiet so you can rest for a next day of great impressions.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2010

a quaint small hotel owned and run by an American couple. quiet street at edge of town. Enjoyable and unique art originals displayed throughout. the rooms and common areas add to this 'inns' character and charm. restaurant boasts one of the more unique menus in town. the small (6-8 table) setting offers good food but slightly underdelivered. we ordered extra spicy arribiata (wondeful sauce but zero Xtra spice) and a delightful vegetarian local dish.... well prepared but sauce and plate were cold. perhaps the staffing is out of balance to deliver on the details (it appeared there was one delightful waitress, one developing cook/chef and 2 slightly hovering but not very involved manager owners).

while somewhat of a visual work of art the hotel fits nicely into the Banos setting (our room overlooked a nicely gardened courtyard). more B and B than hotel... including the dog barking occassionally at night.

artiistic (minor construction) enhancements continue and should make this an increasingly desirable stay in the next few years.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
JimRedd, Owner at La Posada del Arte, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

I appreciate the reviewers comments, and special thanks for designating our hotel "possibly the best place in Baños." We agree.

In regard to the lack of spiciness in the penne arrabitata plate, and the cold vegetarian plate, I apologize. It is true that my son, a chef from Chicago, has recently started working with the kitchen staff, creating excellent new dishes every night. But it could be that they need a little more time working together to get the plates out more efficiently. I will work on this.

As far as the " slightly hovering but not very involved manager owners" that would be me and my wife, Marshia. I assume the reviewer means not very involved that particular moment with the customers, either in the dining room or the sala sitting area. As in not showing interest or making conversation.

This is an interesting observation. Since we have an excellent waitstaff, we normally don't need to actually wait or bus tables. Our role, mostly, is to monitor the quality of the plates coming out, and ensure that the kitchen staff has all the ingredients to create the plates. We also try to ask customers how their meal was, and report any problems to the kitchen staff. It may appear we are "uninvolved," because we are not making conversation with the guests, but we are actually quite involved at a managerial level, literally and figuratively, since this is our source of livelihood.

However, the reviewer is right. A customer doesn't care about whatever "management issues" we may have. What's important is the interaction with the customer at the time. We'll pay more attention to that in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

The hotel is well situated. The food is fresh and the manager/staff are friendly. However, we were disappointed with the room. Our room was not clean. It is more like a hostel then a hotel. You are getting what you have paid for. The rooms are old and not updated-needs paint, updated bathroom, and curtains. There is no elevator in the hotel so you have to take all your belongings two to three stairs up. If you have animal phobia, you should not go to that hotel since there is dog loose in the hotel. The dog belongs to the owner.
Unfortunately we picked this hotel based on everyone’s review. There are many positive reviews about this hotel But I think people who reviewed this hotel have ignored the lack of the amenities and the cleanliness of it. I hope the hotel can be updated and the bathroom fixed. I look forward to visit banos again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Kadd123
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We have lived in Ecuador for over 20 years and have stayed in at least seven different places in Baños. This was my favorite. Normally I am with my wife but was on a quick trip to take someone from Quito to their home in the eastern jungle of Ecuador after an operation. The room was quite comfortable, the blackened trout I had for dinner and the huevos rancheros for breakfast were excellent, the location is quiet but very convenient and the views are excellent. I am hoping we can go back together very soon. The free WiFi connection was fine in the lobby and worked in my room in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2010

We spent 2 nights here, and can thoroughly recommend the Posada. Great food - probably the best restaurant in Banos - for breakfast lunch and dinner. Rooms are all different and the Posada is decorated with lots of art work, which is for sale, so it has a very cosy feel. Very well situated (Banos is a small town) close to the hot baths and an easy walk both into the centre and up the mountain behind! Friendly and helpful hosts.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed June 12, 2010

In mid-January 2010 I stopped off in Banos (solo travel) for a few days while touring the "Avenue of Volcanoes" and making my way south through Ecuador from Quito to Cuenca. Having done some prior research, I found La Posada del Arte on the net and decided to book a couple of nights there -- and am pleased with the choice.

The place is cozy, on the edge of town (no big deal since Banos is a smallish, walking town, very touristy -- for locals AND extranjeros), and has a soothing waterfall spilling down the mountainside nearby... if you like that sorta thing, which I do. The breakfast was especially good, probably the best breakfast-food I had during my entire trek through Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands -- although keep in mind that I'm not a 4 or 5 star hotel kinda traveler.

In my 2-night (one weekend) experience, the place was clean with efficient maid service, the rooms have secure lock-boxes for valuables, and the owners (American ex-pats) are knowledgeable about the area and can give you a good run down about what to do, where to go, etc.

My room had hot water (in the shower but not-so-much in the sink), was secure, quiet at night, there was ample fresh/drinking water provided throughout the inn, and overall I would sum it up as an enjoyable experience. Very recommended if you are spending time in Banos Ecuador.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo