“nice hotel in banos”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Banos
calgary
“nice hotel in banos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel served the best breakfasts that we had in all of Ecuador by far.

The location was great and was within walking distance of the hot springs and the sites we wanted to see. There is also a nice spa next door where you can get a great massage.

Marsha the owner booked a taxi driver for us (Adolfus) who took us to the Ruta de la Cascadas. He spent a lovely afternoon showing us around and explaining the various sites. He also tried to show us the volcano in the evening, but no luck. It was clouded over.

A great little hotel that I would higly recommend. Great art work throughout the buildings.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new house and it was lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CalgaryTravelgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Posada del Arte. Our tour company 'Happy Gringo' had booked this room for us. Our room was small, but clean and comfortable. And the view! From our room we could see and hear the waterfall from which the Virgin of the Holy Waters is named. It was possible to relax in their courtyard or in the lounge in the main building which had a fireplace. The American owners also use the lounge which made for a friendly visit. The breakfast was fantastic and likewise their restaurant. Banos is small so everything is in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

posada del arte - nice, cozy, helpful owner from Chicago will help you navigate and find things if asked, sells art on site, beautiful views from hotel and directly outside is a mountain view with a small waterfall flowing down. breakfast food and drinks included in price. best value hotel during our visit.

Room Tip: Breakfast food and drink is included.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JFCtraveler
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Great charm and beautiful location, with views of the waterfall from the restaurant. Owners were very nice and helpful. Made for a great stay in banos. There restaurant provides fresh and tasty food for a fair price.

• Stayed July 2013
Normal, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We ate lunch at Posada del Arte one day during our time in Banos. The restaurant atmosphere was nice. The food was very fresh and definitely made to order. I had the llapingachos, which were excellent with fried eggs, avocado, and some veggies. Others in my group also enjoyed their food. The menu has a nice selection including vegetarian items.

Our experience of the owner was similar to other reviewers. She seemed unhappy to have us there, even though the lunch hour was pretty quiet.

Nonetheless, the food was very good and we enjoyed the restaurant ambiance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights with my girlfriend during our travels in Ecuador.

Posada del Arte is a sweet little place with yummy food and it is definitely good value for the price.

The location was also ideal as it is right across from the beautiful waterfall and the hot baths but far enough away from the action to be very peaceful.

Normally I would not complain about owners of a hotel but there were numerous occasions where we felt quite awkward and even a bit unwelcome at the hotel. The first day we got there the female owner was nagging (almost yelling) and the male owner right in front of us, as a guest this is something I should ever have to see or hear. During her nagging of the male owner, we were completely ignored as if we didn't exist. The second day we were there the owners were eating a late lunch in the restaurant, as as we walked in the door the female owner yelled at us 3 times that the restaurant was closed. We were very stunned to be approached like this. We were simply returning to the hotel from a morning out and didn't have any intention of dining with them at that time. If she had taken the time to say hi to us the previous day she would have recognized that we were guests of her hotel. I would recommend to the owners that they keep private disagreements private, dine in private if the restaurant is closed and try to welcome all guests.

The male owner did have some great recommendations about art which I really appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank The_Real_Glam
JimRedd, Owner at La Posada del Arte, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hey, you try running a hotel with your wife! We've run this place together for 9 years, and, as you can see by other reviews, (and our Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence), we've been pretty successful and are still together. However, as other reviewers have noted, it's quite "homey," family-run and personal, unlike a Hyatt Regency where you would NEVER hear the owners squabbling. They're off somewhere counting their money. We do have occasional disagreements about management details, but my wife's ideas are usually better than mine, so maybe I deserve to get yelled at. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and I hope this didn't detract too much from your stay here, and that you enjoyed the accommodation and service otherwise.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2013 and while I found the place clean and comfortable it was dark. overall i dont think it lives up to the Lonely Planet raves nor does it really earn its premium price over other accommodation in Baños.
When I arrive I was met my a very helpful and friendly staff member, she was great throughout my stay however she is only there in their afternoons and evenings. My experience with the other staff members and the owners was less positive. When I enquired later that afternoon about whether the wifi was functioning the owner very "brisk" in her response. While I understand that having 20 people ask you the same question can be a bit trying perhaps a notice a reception letting us know what was going on would have avoided that stress.
As for the food it is good , however I did have one very bad meal there which was the pancakes, they were chewy, in fact leathery would be a better description and arrived cold. When I mentioned to the staff that they were cold they did not seem to care. However that said the two dinners I ate there were excellent.
All in all while it is clean and comfortable, I would probably look elsewhere next time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo