“Hostal Plantas y Blanco. Good Clean Hostel Right In The Centre Of Banos”

Plantas & Blanco's Hostel
Ranked #14 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Banos
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 night and had one of the most comfortable stays in Ecuador so far! We had a twin room with great views of the surrounding mountains for $24.

Breakfast was $3 extra and was lovely - very filling!! Laundry is also available here, a large bag cost $6.

We viewed a number of hostels in Banos, and this one was the best. Very clean with a calm atmosphere. There is a roof terrace which has great views of the town.

I would happily stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have stayed here 7 different nights over the past 3 months. The staff is incredibly friendly and fun, the place is very tidy, and the prices are great. I was surprised to see a negative comment below because everyone I met in the Hostel kept coming back because they loved it so much. I dint know they cleaned the room daily and I left 500 cash in my pillow case and came back to find every dollar tucked into a fresh pillow case in a clean room. The rooftop is by far the best aspect, great for hanging out, or calling your family on skype and showing off the lovely surrounding.

Room Tip: Just ask to check out a few options.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed a few nights at Hostal Plantas y Blanco. I left my wallet in their "security box" which is just a drawer behind the front desk. When I checked out of the hotel, (which was noisy 24/7) I paid my bill in cash. I never once used my credit card in South America - which is why I was surprised a few days later to find the hotel charged me.
I tried to call the hotel many times. I sent emails. I kept asking to talk to the owner, but I was always told he was off that day, and try tomorrow.
The only way anyone would have known I had a credit card was if they got my wallet while it was in the "security box" at the front desk, and went in there. Clearly someone at the hotel went through my stuff, and put a charge on my visa. they then probably just stole the cash that i thought was for my bill.
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOSTEL, THEY ARE THIEVES

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank R B
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 bed room with ensuite that was clean and comfortable but basic however fine for what you pay. Location of the hostel is pretty good but then Baños is pretty small so everything is close! The rooftop terrace was the best part about the place, with 360 views over the city I doubt there is a better place in Baños to have a few beers and watch the sun set. We had to go to a sister hostel down the road to do our cooking as no kitchen on site but that was no big deal, I can't remember the name but it had a good outdoor area with a fire going to keep you warm.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed for one night and then left to stay the rest of my time in Banos in another Hostel. The room I was in was very loud as it was a front room to the street. Furthermore, the air in the room as well as the bed linen were very smelly. The mattress was worn out so I felt like sleeping on the floor. There are definitely better Hostels in Banos.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SarahKlingeling
Reviewed November 15, 2013

It's easy to fall in love with Baños, and Plantas y Blanco is part of the reason I decided to extend my stay from 4 days to a full week. The rooms are basic but very clean, of a decent size, and tastefully designed. I can't believe I had a private room and bath, cleaned every day, for such a good rate.

The positive reviews about the rooftop terrace and breakfast offerings are all on point - even if you choose to stay elsewhere, do yourself a favour and head on over for this incredible breakfast and a view to match. I'll add that the steam bath treatment was well worth it; I signed up 3 days in a row.

My only quibbles were the faint musty smell in my room, and the bell I kept hearing across the street. My room faced the street and at times there was a fair bit of noise. I'm a sound sleeper but something to consider for those who aren't.

Room Tip: Avoid a street-facing room if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We really liked this place and can highly recommend it. Our room was really nice with plants. It was a big room with view of the waterfall. The staff were friendly and helpful but didnt speak much english. The rooftop breakfast area was beautiful with view over the mountain. If you are planning to go to Banos, stay here. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: October 2013