“Best hotel room EVER for us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hacienda Manteles

Hacienda Manteles
Ranked #1 of 42 Banos B&B and Inns
Advance, NC
“Best hotel room EVER for us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here last week on a Gate 1 tour, and can echo the WOW offered by others. First, the room - My room was no. 21. The check-in person looked up at us as he handed us the key and said "You are lucky - it's the best room on the property." When we arrived at the room I could see he was right!! The HUGE room is over 900 square feet, looked new, and was furnished with a king bed and antiques and oriental rugs. The king bed looked lost in the large space! There was a jacuzzi tub,. separate toilet room, great shower, and being on the second floor had a wall of windows that overlooked an active volcano! Doesn't get much better than that.

The food here is absolutely gourmet too. We had our farewell dinner here, and my fillet mignon was superb. Breakfast is served with crepes and other fresh made goodies.

I cannot overstate the kind hospitality we were given by the staff and owner in person. It was just super, and helped make our trip a truly memorable one.

Room Tip: Ask, and yes, even beg for room 21!!!! The room below it (onlytwo in the building) would be the sa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

All rooms are beautiful, the staff is very warm and friendly, the food is good, the wine is decent, the views are incredible. It would be enjoyable any season... very relaxing and tranquil. Not a lot of activity nearby so would be good for a serene getaway or maybe for hiking the nearby volcano. I was impressed that they made their own goat cheese!

Room Tip: All rooms are good! But the large corner rooms with the huge bay windows are especially nice... lik...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HaciendaManteles, Director of Sales at Hacienda Manteles, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Greetings from Hacienda Manteles,

We would like to send our warmest regards, It was a real pleasure to have you with us at the Hacienda.

We are pleased to hear that you were happy with our staff and amenities. Also we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our home made goat cheese.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to have you here in Ecuador and at the Hacienda Manteles in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your comment!

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reservations and Sales department
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

During a 17-Day tour of Peru and Ecuador, it was day 15 of my trip which entailed wonderful sights and fantastic accomodations throughout Peru and Ecuador. We got to Hacienda Manteles, which is literally in the middle of nowhere and was pleasantly surprised of the inviting beauty of the property. The accomodations are dramatically different though with one room to the next from being rustic and small with twin beds and no space to breathtaking (about 4 rooms of the latter). I was lucky enough to have one of, if not, the best room (#21). That is where the joy ends and the surprises begin. It was our farewell evening of our Ecuador portion of the tour. The dinner evening started off nice, but I noticed the manager was a little "too friendly". He was dancing around acting clownish and drinking wine paid for by the guests (it was offered, but I had never seen this before on 7 prior trips with this tour company - Gate1; all management is usually very professional). The dinner was served and many of us ordered filet mignon. My table all agreed the meat was tough, however, edible. However, not only was mine tough, it was inedible and not penetrable by fork or knife. Obviously, I got a bad piece, that happens.... I told my tour manager who then spoke to the manager and they came back and said, "your piece is the same cut as everyone else's". I found that insulting and must have looked shocked, so then they said I could get something else, but it is going to take a while. The offer didn't sound sincere so I declined. I was a little annoyed this was the farewell dinner and I was not shown any hospitality or concern since I would have no dinner and there is basically nowhere else to get some food. I called the manager over and asked him to cut the piece I had because I didn't want him to think I was "picky"; the meat was literally shoe leather. He made a face and then took the plate, turned around and cut the meat and said it was fine. I just rolled my eyes. They give the impression of being customer focused and your being taken care of, however, when you have an issue, that's another story. I went to bed without any dinner since you cannot walk or drive anywhere to get off this mountain to find a store or restaurant so you are stuck. The room, which appeared great, had two sinks both of which were clogged and the radiator they provide does not event get hot. I also had beautiful glass panoramic views in my room of which by the time you wake up in the morning, the windows are so fogged over from no ventilation in the room that you cannot see out of them. There was a jacuzzi tub, but you could not really go in it because the water never really got hot and the guest below me said it took 30 minutes for the tub to fill. Several other guests commented on these issues as well. All in all, there are way more properties to stay in Banos than this property, I will admit, the dinner tainted the rest of the stay even the pretty room. The clogged sink and broken radiatior would not even bother me had I had some dinner! If's funny, a little "nice" makes all the difference in the world and the fact that he couldn't insist on replacing my meal with a $1 bowl of pasta tainted the decent room I got, when others got terrible rooms. Shame on Fernando.... I would like to have given this review a 1 star for Terrible, but it is a pretty place, just needs new management and some quality control (which goes back to managment) And, I do have to say the actual staff that does the work, are hard working and very nice, while Fernando drinks wine, clowns around and feigns hospitality.

Room Tip: two duplexes best;
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Donnerfairy
Greetings from Hacienda Manteles,

We would like to send our warmest regards.

We would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions; we will take it under consideration.

Reservations and Sales department
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is fantastic. We were on an escorted tour, otherwise we would never had experienced this "much-more-than-a-hotel/restaurant". For the individual traveler, I would recommend a one week stay.
The Haciencda is just that -- an hacienda "manor house" on a centuries old ranchero property. Expertly run by Juan Fernando, who welcomes you and makes you feel as if you were an invited guest on a private estate and not a tourist.
Our room was in the main house. Antique furnishings, large room with totally modern en-suite bath. We had a wood buning stove in the corner, downy duvets and alpaca blankets. Even in August, we needed all of that because of the altitude. We had free use of the hacienda's two computers for internet. The connection was slow, but considering where we were, it was good. Ecuador recemtly implemented a high tarx on imported alcohol, so any non-local drink is high priced; but the liquor selection (which looks like a host's private stock cabinet) was complete.
You can read about the living room and fireplace setting for pre-dinner cocktails, the food, the views of the volcano and the tour of the garden in other reviews. All of the vegetables are organically grown on site. After the tour of the garden, you can feed the chickens; and, in the morning, milk the cow (with more than a little interference from the esident, personality-plus dogs). As for night-life: well, you can pet the furry donkey and look at the Southern Cross in unbelievably clear skies.
This would be an ideal place for a family group. There are several options In addition to the bedrooms in the main house. There are separate rooms (just don't invite the dogs in as they will want to stay), a group a rooms with a common sitting area and an executive suite.The staff is a mixture of natives and foreign young people from across the globe. Hacienda Manteles has a program involving students from various countries who come here to work and to learn Spanish, so you are treated to enthusiastic service with a varied cultural background.Those of you who read my reviews know that I am usually not this effusively positive. There is nothing I can say negative about this place -- except for the harrowing ride to get here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Monrovia, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

What a beautiful place. Fernando, the hotel manager, was the highlight of our stay. His warm and friendly manner made us feel like home. He gave us a tour of the gardens and the animals.
We stayed in one of the new rooms. Our rooms was huge with a fantastic view of the Tungurahua Volcano. Don't expect lots of night life and shopping here, but if you are up for relaxing in a beautiful location, this is it.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms (the ones with jacuzzi tubs)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We only had a night to stay here as we were on a tour, but it was wonderful and we will go back. We enjoyed socializing with our tour group in the warm, home-like (if you have a very nice home) comfortable and very pretty living room before dinner. The food was delicious, simply said. The staff was helpful, friendly and went out of their way, in particular, for one of my daughters who wasn't feeling well at the time. The rooms were large, very comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and I wish we'd had more time to explore. And then the view of Tungurahua outside the window in the morning was simply stunning - it helped that the weather was gorgeous and sunny!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Quito, Ecuador
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Nice location, the hacienda is in a peaceful corner of the Andes. The room was cozy although we had a problem with the bathroom that was quickly fixed when we reported it. The food was great. Despite the cost, there is not access to internet and there is not cell phone signal either. This was unexpected as most hotels in Ecuador have some sort of internet acces for guests. We were not happy with the service either. The manager was not very efficient on preparing our bill, perhaps because he was understaffed. We did not like the fact that they charged us for taxes but they did not gave us a "factura" which means that they will not transfer our tax to the Ecuadorian IRS.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HaciendaManteles, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Manteles, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Greetings from Hacienda Manteles,

We are pleased to hear that you where happy with our amenities and location.

Because of our location within the mountains our cell phone signal is not very good, although we do have certain areas with cell phone coverage for Claro and Movistar.

We do have WIFI in our living room area, as well as a computer with internet access for guests to use.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience regarding your final bill. If you would like we´ll be more than happy to send you your factura which we have here at the Hacienda. If so please send me all your information to the following email: sales@haciendamanteles.com.

Thank you for your comment!

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reservations and Sales Department