All reviews tour group rooms are clean and comfortable top floor shower waterfall
Selected filters
Reviewed August 12, 2018

My family and I booked two rooms for one night in this hotel as it seemed a very good option. When arriving at the hotel the receptionist was very friendly, until here everything was quiet but we realized that in our room the shower did not work so I had to go to the other room and be able to bathe. The next day my family and I decided to go to the family park and then return before 12 to get our belongings, and when we returned (11:50) we realized that they had disrespectfully removed our things from the room before 12pm so we complained to the receptionist and she did not know how to respond properly.
So if you are going to book this hotel think twice because the price-quality-comfort ratio leaves much to be desired, the wi-fi is very scarce, the parking is only for 2 cars, the staff are like wolves in disguise of sheep.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Having been to Hotel Donde Ivan last year and our plans to return to Banos again this year, it was a guarantee that we were going to make Ivan our stay of choice. Our consideration to return was based on our clean room, central location in town, friendly welcome from Ivan his family and personalized service we received. If I could give one (1) additional star for this years stay, I would.

That being said, this is no ordinary hotel. It’s rather more than a Bed and Breakfast with an above and beyond family feeling. Once you arrive to Ivan’s (owner) property you feel transformed into the rainforest with the lush gardens along the entry way to the front steps. A small unknown fact that we learned was that Ivan designed the property and building while his wife completed all the decorating. Depending on your arrival time, you may also find their son (Henry) and daughter roaming about assisting with day to day operations or leaving/returning from a personal tour. The hotel has four (4) floors or rooms each offering something different. The top floor allows for an unobstructed view of the waterfall. The rooms are clean and comfortable. For cool nights, the bedding kept us comfortably warm and toasty. Depending on your reservation, breakfast may be included but always available if requested the night before. As the same with lunch.

This visit made us truly appreciate and recognize the type of person Ivan and his family are that sets Hotel Donde Ivan apart. On our first evening and as a result of something I ate in Quito, I contracted a bout of food poisoning. It was determined in the middle of the night, 3 am to be exact, that I needed to visit the hospital. Without hesitation we woke Ivan, who resides in one of the rooms of property, and he quickly drove myself and my girlfriend there. My gratitude and appreciation shocked me next that he stayed with us until I was released. About an hour long. When returned to Donde Ivan, he personally prepared some oregano tea and made sure we were able to rest. The next few days while the rest of my family was touring Banos, he and his family made sure that I was comfortable and prepared appropriate foods and beverages. Prior to our departure, Henry (Ivan’s son) offered and graciously drove us to a pharmacy to stock up on some supplies. As a result of Ivan and his families actions, kindness and shear generosity, I will be in forever debt to him.

If you are considering Hotel Donde Ivan, I would highly recommend his hotel (home) and personally contact him to learn more about his property.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2018

We ate lunch here with a tour group. Pleasant upstairs setting with excellent service. Food was very good, but not outstanding. I liked the looks of the hotel portion and would stay here if I return to Banos Banos is a very quaint town with a lot to offer.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2017

Travelled as part of a tour group and have stayed here before. Room was clean and comfortable. Wonderful meals were served but vegetarians need to make special requests, otherwise they only get the vegetables without the meat.

Room tip: Avoid rooms close to common areas
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Henry V, administrador at Hotel Donde Ivan, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2017

Hi, thank you for your very valuable comment. always ready to improve

Reviewed November 20, 2017

Cute place walking into it. We ate upstairs at a long table. The carrot soup, grilled chicken, cooked veggies were all good but nothing stood out. Two in our small group were vegetarians and they loved their vegetarian lasagne. Expresso at the end of the meal was $2.00. Within walking distance of other things in the town.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Henry V, Gerente at Hotel Donde Ivan, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2017

Thanks for your valuable comment.
always at the orders