All reviews uphill hike beautiful place in town the owner place to stay one night hot water darwin luggage strenuous mountains noise ecuador waterfall
Selected filters
Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

Very clean, hospitable and attentive staff. The hike is doable with a load that you can carry, but it is an uphill hike. I would recommend the horses if available. Staff offered assistance with luggage even before checking in.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Darwin I, Propietario at La Casa Amarilla, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2018

Thank you very much for your comment! We are happy that you liked your stay in La Casa Amarilla and hope we can welcome you again in our yellow house.

Reviewed May 7, 2018 via mobile

We booked Casa Amarilla because we read Banos was often noisy and wanted a quiet location. We understood it was a short hike to get there but we did not expect it to be as bad as it was. We live at 8000 ft in Colorado and walk uphill to get to our house but nothing prepared us for this steep incline..while carrying heavy bags. Plus the owner was supposed to meet us at the bottom but wasn’t there when we arrived. He happened to come along 10 minutes later, after I had repeatedly tried calling his wife (she had emailed me the wrong number). So the first impression was not good and when our driver from Quito became concerned for our welfare, we should have taken that as a sign and found other lodging immediately. But instead we forged up the hill with our bags wanting to give the place a chance. The owner, Darwin, tried to sell me on his travel tours the entire way up while all I wanted was to focus on finally arriving at our destination. We did finally get there but it felt really awkward from the start. After seeing the small room and the close quarters of living with the owners and their 5 year old son, we decided to have dinner and stay the night but then find other lodging for the rest of our stay. Clearly Bettina, the owner, was disappointed when we told her and we readily agreed to her terms of paying a penalty for leaving early. It was the right decision and the place we moved to in town, the Hostal Chiminea, was 1/2 the price for a spacious room in a quiet location near the waterfall. La Casa Amarilla is in a beautiful spot (although noise from town carries up the hill) and the food was delicious. Perhaps under other circumstances we would have had a pleasant experience and I really struggled whether to write this review but I think it is helpful to know that the hike is arduous and that is something to consider before booking.

Date of stay: May 2018
1  Thank leylasteele
Darwin I, Propietario at La Casa Amarilla, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry for the bad impressions that you got at your arriving. It was my fault with the phone number. I typed it wrong and I'm terribly sorry for that. The hike up is quite a challenge as it is written in many reviews. I hope people will read also your review that they'll be prepared. The hike up as its both sides. As there is no access by car you can breathe fresh air up here and enjoy the nature with the view on Baños. Otherwise it's quite an exercise. I'm happy that you found a lodging that suited better for you and hope you could enjoy your stay in Baños.
Bettina

Reviewed January 31, 2018

This was my fourth time visiting Banos, Ecuador; it's one of my favourite places in South America! This was, however, my first time staying at La Casa Amarilla. In my research, I was looking for a place to stay with a view, as the town and its surroundings are very picturesque. Although there are lovely hotels in town, you don't have the same experience without the view! La Casa Amarilla is a small hotel, which I liked, with comfortable rooms and nice bathrooms (with hot water). Breakfast was included, and was absolutely delicious. All of the ingredients were fresh and plentiful. The hotel owners were a very charming and hospitable couple. We enjoyed talking to them each day, and we were able to arrange our excursions with the hotel owners. Overall, this hotel was more than charming. It made our stay in Banos very special. The only criticism/advice I would give is to be prepared for a fairly laborious hike to the hotel. It is not accessible by car, and the hike is strenuous, even if only for 20 minutes. We had to plan our days around only going up once a day, which worked out fine. Perhaps a quad service would be helpful. Overall, beautiful place, great people, highly recommended.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Darwin I, Propietario at La Casa Amarilla, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2018

Thank you very much that you took the time to write such a detailed review. We are happy that you liked your stay in our yellow house. The hike up can be strenuous and to ride up on a horse is not everybodys choice. We are still looking for an ecological solution that is also affordable.
However, we hope you will visit us again when you come the fifth time to Ecuador!

Reviewed January 14, 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing stay. Bettina and Darwin are very welcoming and they created a beautiful peaceful and homely stay with a fantastic view over Baños and the mountains. Breakfast was great and we definitely recommend this place!

Date of stay: January 2018
1  Thank Manouk B
Darwin I, Propietario at La Casa Amarilla, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018

Thank you very much that you took the time to write a review. For us it is nice to have guests like you that are enjoying our yellow house and its surroundings. We hope you'll be back one day in La Casa Amarilla and we can have a canelazo together on our terrace!

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

We stayed two nights and had a lovely stay. This place has an amazing view over Banos and the mountains opposite. The hosts are very friendly and helpful. They serve delicious breakfast, partly out of their own garden! Absolutely worth the hike up.

Date of stay: August 2017
1  Thank VeratH
Darwin I, Propietario at La Casa Amarilla, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

Thank you very much for your comment. For us it was a pleasure to have you as a guest in La Casa Amarilla.