“Great place to eat in Banos. Interesting decor and friendly owner.”
Review of El Paisano

El Paisano
Ranked #56 of 145 Restaurants in Banos
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Went here one of our evenings on Banos after reading positive reviews. It was in close proximity to our hostel. Similar to the other reviews the ambiance and decor doesn't really give it a typical restaurant feel, but this makes it interesting.

As for the food I can only speak for the pizza because that's what we ordered. It was awesome and probably the best homemade pizza I have had in Ecuador.

What makes the experience even better is that the owner marcello is also a local artist and quite talented. Be sure to look at his work and ask about his art which is tastefully arranged in the dining area. We ended up buying two small pieces to take home.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

This was by far my favorite restaurant. From the pizza sign outside, I thought it was just that. Then,my friend one night said lets eat here they have vegetarian (also meat too) . Now, it may take a while for the food to come, because everything is prepared fresh, by the owner, and his wife.

I was hooked after the first meal. And, with every subsequent visit I tried different things...never disapointed. The menu is both in spanish and English. I enjoyed the various soups (I am a real soup girl) from tomatoe, to broccli, ect.
Supper (all I could eat and more) with a glass of wine ... $7

I haven,t had time to upload pix yet, because I have some beautiful ones of the food here. One night I took some friends I,d just met, they ordered the pizza. I,ve never seen such a beautiful pizza. It has sort of a deep dish look, with tons of cheese. Ohhhhhhh, I,m not a pizza girl, but it was all I could do to not ask for a little piece.
The owner is very honest, never once cheated me or my friends.
My only regret is that his shop isn,t here, where I live because I would definately be one of his best customers.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

A vegetarian restaurant that serves wholesome food, but unfortunately all the dishes tend to taste the same. The place doesn't seem to get too much foot traffic and when we ate there we were the only patrons. If you need your dose of good veggies, this is a nice place to go to.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

The food is great, healthy and spiced just right but there are two things that need to be corrected: One is that the time of preparation is too long, I understand that they prepare the food very carefully, but it takes just too long, over 30 minutes. My other complaint is that they have pictures of naked women in the bathroom, I find this offensive and of very poor taste. Please remove them!

Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have eaten here many times. There are many options of vegetarian food and the vegetables are steam cooked. All the food is freshly prepared. The owner is very friendly and easy to talk to.