“very good, but...”

Ranked #22 of 145 Restaurants in Banos
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Dined solo at Cafe Mariane on a Wednesday night. Not crowded, maybe five people. Beautiful garden setting outside, with indoor seating as well. Probably the nicest spot for a romantic dinner I've seen in town in the few weeks I've been here.

Had the Moroccan chicken with a side of "gratinated" potatoes, which were outstanding. While the Moroccan chicken was equally good, the particular blend of spices wasn't to my (personal) liking, but don't take that as a reflection on how "good" it was. It was very good.

Service was good, friendly, and everything served blazingly hot. Took a while to come out, but to me that's a good sign. I didn't come here for fast food. Portion size was too big, but I was sitting outside and a friendly German shepherd showed up that was more than happy to share with me (house dog?)

Only one blemish on the evening. When I asked for la cuenta, I was taken aback by the charge for a Fanta. It was easy to spot, I was by myself and there were only two items on the bill. I brought this up, they gave me the "we made a mistake" routine and dropped the charge by $0.50.

Now you may be wondering why I'm mentioning and going on about a $0.50 overcharge. I've been in Ecuador for 10 months now and have zero tolerance for the "rich gringo" (I'm not one) nickel and diming that you invariably come across. So...one of two things happened here. They intentionally overcharged me (I'm not saying they did,) or they "forgot" the price of Fanta's and Pepsi's that they sell all day every day. Both possibilities are unacceptable, and because of that, I will not go back (too bad, because I would have liked to explore the rest of the menu.) Also unfortunate for them that I have to bring this up in an otherwise great review, but...isn't that what reviews are for?

Admittedly, that was a long riff over fifty cents. Again, just to reiterate my point...in some respects I would be less bent out of shape losing $20,000 in a real estate deal (buyer beware, do your due diligence.) You want to sell me a bottle of soda? Know your prices. I'm not mad. Even left a tip. But not going back.

3  Thank DanaTeton

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Charming place tucked at the back of the jungle garden. With a great selection of morocan food and south american wine.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Every aspect of our experience in this traveler's paradise was a stunning surprise: extraordinary country-style food, warm and cozy atmosphere and attention, all in a fantasy garden of exploding of nature.

Excellent selection of modestly priced wines and a menu of Provenzal and Mediterranean cuisine to satisfy anyone's tastes and desires.

A great find tucked away in a very special part of Ecuador, Baños de Agua Santa. Peaceful, romantic and memorable. Can't resist hyperbole in this case.

1  Thank atacuri
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a fresh salad followed by a very generous and delicious beef fondue. Enough food for 2 days! Very good value

1  Thank Laetiha
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a spinach crepe and chicken which was delicious.
The place is very cute and well cared.
I recommend it at any occasion, but romantic is quite a good pick.