“Great breakfast”
Review of Cafe Good

Cafe Good
Ranked #15 of 144 Restaurants in Banos
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "Café Good Books & Food " a place highly recommended in many important guides like Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Reise Know-How, offers different types of breakfast with fresh organic coffee as well as international cuisine, Indian, Italian , Thai , delicious steaks and grilled chicken , variety of cocktails 2x1 8 pm 10 pm , juices, herbal tea and a cozy atmosphere. Free Books exchange for your bill.
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Best breakfast we ate in Baños, for the best value. Much cheaper than anywhere else we went either! Hot chocolate was tasty, bread was hot and fresh, and the fruit salad was amazing. Even cheaper than the horrible greasy Ecuadorean breakfast we'd had the day previous.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We went here for dessert after reading good reviews on here for the brownie/dessert. The brownie was burnt on the bottom and quite dry, and there was only one other person in the restaurant. They advertise having evening movies, but we tried on three different nights, and on no nights they had movies!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had underlined Cafe Good as a potential place for dinner in our Lonely Planet guide book as it paid tribute to the satisfying veggie dishes. We decided to visit after an evening at the baths and we were certainly not disappointed with the food. I had the Mexicano Chicken Taco, which was a soft tortilla wrapped around a mild mix of beans, peppers and chicken that came with some lettuce, cheese, rice and guacamole. It wasn't what I was expecting as I thought that a taco was a hard-shelled tortilla, but my knowledge of tacos has been established from an education of Old El Paso and Taco Bell, so the traditional version may differ. It was tasty nonetheless, and I could have easily tackled an entire plate of the guacamole, which was delicious.

My partner opted for the Hindu Plate, which consisted of a chickpea and spinach curry and a half-plate of rice. The curry had a nice little bit of heat to it, and the portion size certainly won't leave you hungry. Despite the large portions, we found the prospect of dessert irresistible after seeing the blackboard promoting the tiramisu and chocolate brownie as the best desserts in town. For $2 a piece, we ordered a plate of each dessert to test their claims. The tiramisu was very tasty, but minuscule in comparison to the size of the brownie, which was also served with ice cream and chocolate. The portion sizes may need a bit of reworking, as if I wasn't a sharer then my partner would have felt hard done by for ordering a dessert a quarter of the size of another dessert of the same price.

The food was highly satisfying and seemed good value at $8.50, which got myself a main, dessert and two beers. If my review was based solely on the food then Cafe Good would run away with a recommendation. However, the service was incredibly poor and the atmosphere a little lacking. We were the only people in the cafe that evening, which was probably the cause of the lack of atmosphere. However, being the only people in the cafe, we expected a lot more attention from the waiting staff, who were happy to let us sit with empty plates twice for 30 minutes at a time as they disappeared out of sight. There was even a point when the CD skipped continuously for 10 minutes and they failed to notice as they were not present. We found the funny side in it, but it must be highlighted as poor service as many people would find this unacceptable. After 30 minutes of finishing our desserts we were forced to go looking for the staff so we could settle the bill and leave.

It is a shame as the food was good, so I would like to think that the service was just having an off night. I doubt I would return though considering the consistency of other cafes and restaurants in the area.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Wonderful ambiance for English speakers. Delicious smooithies coffees and teas-including one that cured my indigestion. Owner Ray Hood makes you feel at home, and manages to turn out good curry dishes felafel and Mexican food. The 3.25 lunch special is reliably good. A great social gathering place also.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

great food, clean, great prices....a little slow on the service...