“Clean, helpful, reasonable price, easy walk to town”
Review of Hosteria Foike

Hosteria Foike
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Ushuaia
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This is not a fancy luxury hotel, rather a clean, reasonable place for the modest traveler who needs a decent place for a good night's sleep, a shower and a good breakfast. In a quite location, yet only a ten-minute walk into the active tourist town. Owner very personable and full of helpful information.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hosteria Foike

Reviewed June 8, 2010

The design of the room was nice but barking dogs were a pain.
Also, the safety handle in the shower came off in my hand as the blue mat slipped out from under me. Luis told me you have to let the mat sit for a bit before you go in. Not a great way to handle the issue.
But the staff were very nice and the location was not optimum but acceptable.
I thought the artwork was terrific.
I like Luis very much but would not recommend this spot unless some changes were made.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2010

The Foike is a comfortable hosteria in a relatively quiet location, a four block climb from the main street.

The owner Luis, and his daughter, gave us good advice and were helpful in arranging trips and transport. However after we had left for the airport they discovered that we had left our camera behind and immediately followed us in their car and were able to return it just after we had checked in. We were extremely grateful for this unsurpassed service!

The breakfast was adequate and room (in the attic) large and comfortable but was in need of some decoration and the window blinds were old and unreliable.

We enjoyed our visit to the Foike and would willingly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aldman64
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We were in Ushuaia for four nights and we stayed here only for two nights because they were fully booked for the last two. The owner and his daughter was really helpful and generally nice. The room was in the basement and had two rooms and a bathroom, but we only used the room with the double bed. Heating was good, but the bathroom was not as good as the rest of the room. It was clean and had hot water, but it felt a bit shabby. The owners dog was outside the bedroom window, but it kept quiet most of the time. The only thing that woke us early in the first morning was people from the other room in the basement leaving.
Breakfast was pretty standard for Argentina, but you get yoghurt if you want.

The location of the hotel is only five minutes walk from the main road, and the area feels very secure, also at night.
I feel that the price is a little to high compared to other places, but Ushuaia is not the cheapest town in Argentina.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daffe
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We checked in tonight and will try to post the photos tomorrow, if we manage. I am wondering whether the place we're staying is the same as advertised by the owners and reviewed on this site. When booking I asked for two single or two double rooms for signle occupation. I was offered two rooms that share a bathroom, total cost USD 160 per night. The rooms: located in the basement, barking dog right outside the window which faces the garden wall. Maybe there are nice views over the bay, but we won't see them. Furniture: the bed is okay but the rest is the most basic I have seen in years; does not look clean; garish colour on walls, dodgy doors; no safe box (the owner seemed surprised that I did not think his offer to keep our valuables with him was a good option). Bathroom: a lock of dark hair stuck on the wall in the shower(!!), old and not very clean sanitary wear; rusty fixed shower. Netiher me nor my friend felt comfortable with leaving any of our toiletries in the bathroom, so disgusting it is. Overall impression: Luis has been nice and helpful with booking the rooms and an excursion but the rooms are so horrible that I can only compare them with the rooms in Soviet hotels and acout summer camps I had a "fortune" to experience 20 years ago. We got here today from Calafate and for the same price we stayed in beautiful and hospitable Las Dunas so I do not accept Luis's comment that for the better room in his hosteria I'd have to pay more. There are a number of nice places in Argentina in this price range. I have travelled enough in Argentina and the world to compare and I can honestly say that so far it's the worst rooms I've seen in many many years! Photos to follow (if we don't get thrown out after this review tomorrow :)!)

5  Thank EllaMLondon
Reviewed January 28, 2010

A superb base for Ushuaia. We stayed here coming and going for our Antarcic cruise. It is central enough to walk to "downtown" Ushuaia, but up the hill enough so that you get no traffic noise from the main street at all. The rooms are comfortable. The size of the Hosteria is small so there are very few other guests with whom you are sharing the place. It is not suitable for the elderly and infirm. There are stairs to climb to the rooms and the walk from town is decidedly an uphill climb.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed here for a couple of nights and honestly I think it is too expensive for what it is. We stayed in quite a few places on our 4 week trip in Argentina and this was one of the most expensive but was the least comfortable. We´re a married couple but had to make do with 2 single beds and were kept awake both nights by a chorus of barking dogs, one of which was right next to our window (owner´s dog). Most definitely the worst pillow I´ve ever had, the second night my husband made do with a couple of towels so I could try and get some sleep with a normal pillow. The building itself is also very noisy and you will be woken up by anyone getting up early for an excursion. The owner was very helpful though and with limited English (from him) and limited Spanish (from us) he recommended a tour for us which we really enjoyed.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple