“It could be better”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sao Paolo
“It could be better”
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Los Cauquenes is a hotel that could be much better than it actually is. The landscape view is wonderful and the commum areas are well decorated, but the room, at least the one that I and my hansband stayed did not meet our expectations for a five star hotel. We stayed in a montain view room without any charming detail inside. Also, the SPA has a small pool with very tight bathrooms and sauna. Another point is the bathrooms were not correct fullfilled with toillet paper (this in several places and in several ocasions). The point is the hotel falls in the details and it is not allowed for a five star. So, I would recommend the hotel to a friend with some considerations about the cost-benefit, but I also recommend the hotel owners to care more about the delivering the hotel value proposition.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Ushuaia is the kind of place that almost everyone would like, presenting stunning landscapes plus a completely crazy weather. Never trust your eyes,always take raincoat protection when leaving the hotel as the weather changes from sun to snow in a blink of eyes-even in what is called summer there.
We stayed in the Los Cauquenes(name of a local bird); I believe that they have one of the best structures in city. A very beautifull brand new wood building presenting a nice restaurant. The lake rooms are somewhat more expensive, but the mountain view ones also present very pleasant views.
I had a little burdening there as my room ,everynight presented a loud noise that in the first moment I tought were fireworks outside the building, as we were close to New Years day. As the noise remained, I understood that it was something in the building structure. I complained twice by phone to the reception and they told they would send someone to check.As sleeping was very complicated with the little explosions noise I complained personally again twice at front desk just to notice surprised faces as `` no one never complained``- but finally they brought some one from mainteinance that said that it is the noise of the water heating system-the more water was usedmore it would make noise. Again with no excuses, they plainly said that they would change me to a new room. The point is that they knew it and when the hotel is full someone is ``awarded`` the crazy noisy room-if the victim does not complain he remains there for the full stay.
In the new room I noticed that the room courtains had a blackout layer to block external light- a must as the sun sets around 12PM and rises around 4 AM. The old room had not a blackout to protect the victim from waking up at 5AM!
In the end I had the impression that eployees behave as public bureaucrats-they do just their plain work- polite but without a drop of effort to go the extra mile.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank EyeDocBrazil
Buenos Aires
Reviewed December 26, 2009

The first day that we arrived they thought that we were four (though my dad had already booked and payed for five), so we had everything (the cabin, bouchers...) prepared for four. When we entered the cabin there was a huge printer in the middle of the living room and there were a couple of things that didn't work. In compensation of this first bad impression they gave us one free dinner. We always booked for dinner at 8 pm because we were exhausted after the skiing days and the waitress or the cooks forgot our orders, this happened EVERY SINGLE day. I couldn't believe how we were the only ones in the whole restaurant (because everyone had been gone already) and they didn't realize, this brought a lot of stress to the trip because we went to sleep at 12 more or less. The half board menu had a VERY POOR variety, and if we had known that, we wouldn't had eaten there. The view and the building are great but if the staff is under the level of the hotel it really doesn't worth it. This year i returned to Ushuaia and went to a little less expensive hotel but my stay was way much better and comfortable because the staff really cared. If the staff has changed and improved, i recommend it; but if not, no.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank valfahl
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 13, 2009

The wonderful landscape surrounding the hotel and the excellent hotel amenities can only render a wonderful time in Ushuaia.

Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights (3 days) here and enjoyed it beyond words. The staff is gracious and prompt. We ordered more towels and they arrived in about 3 minutes. The lunch service was SLOOOOOW as seems to be the custom for the area, but delicous. The prices on food are a little more here than going into town, but convenient. The concierge was as helpful as they come. He booked us a tour and took care of everything with just a mention from us of what we wanted to do. Most of the staff spoke English but those that didn't tried to combine the limited Spanish I spoke with what they knew and we managed to get the ideas across. The view of the canal is worth the upgrade. I also recommend the spa- simply because the staff is so sweet and the prices so reasonable. If you are looking for pretentious, you will have to go elsewhere. Of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed at in dozens of cities across the world, this may be my favorite. I would return here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 8, 2009

The views of the Beagle Channel from our room was wonderful. The staff was very nice and friendly. The food was excellent. Only complaint is the directions they provide to get to the hotel. Do not try to find this place for the first time in the dark. We were lucky that the Hertz guy was closing and let us follow him since he lived nearby. Take a taxi or pay to follow one if you are getting in late at night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Brasil
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This is a fantastic hotel right in front of the Biggle Channel. We got a room with a large window and the view of the Biggle Channel in the morning during sunrise is a view of a life time.

Rooms are confortable, well decorate. Bath room and amenities just perfect.

The heated pool is perfect.

Breakfast is correct.